Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MASTERED MIX

So I finished recording my 2nd CD, it sounds great, plays well on other systems and so I take it to a mastering engineer located in NY.

I let him take a crack at (3) songs, I get them back and....GAWWWWWLLLLLLEYYYYYY it sounded like I was processed through an AURAL EXCITER, it was so damn brite and screaching to my ears, it lost all substance of a comfortable listening CD, but it was loud.

Guess it's back to the drawing board to look for another M.E. (and I thought this would be easy)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure plenty o' folks around here can suggest a good ME or two...

I can recommend Brad Blackwood at Euphonic Masters .

I've also heard good things about David Torrey at DRT Mastering

Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBB Code Images are permitted.

I would love to hear the "before" and "after". Can ya' swing it? I'm game. ---L.T.

Originally posted by T.H.:

So I finished recording my 2nd CD, it sounds great, plays well on other systems and so I take it to a mastering engineer located in NY.

I let him take a crack at (3) songs, I get them back and....GAWWWWWLLLLLLEYYYYYY it sounded like I was processed through an AURAL EXCITER, it was so damn brite and screaching to my ears, it lost all substance of a comfortable listening CD, but it was loud.

Guess it's back to the drawing board to look for another M.E. (and I thought this would be easy)

Joe Pine (60's talk show host who sported a wooden leg) to Frank Zappa -- "So, with your long hair, I guess that makes you a woman." Frank Zappa's response -- "So, with your wooden leg, I guess that makes you a table."

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2001&alid=-1

Good luck, TH. I'm having my mastering finished up and there's a definite art to it.

There are choices to make about the low end. That bass guitar/bass drum thump is hard to get right.

I'd say reputation and word of mouth is the best you can go for. Take your time and find the person you think is best for your music. Hopefully some other guys will chime in and give you some names. You could ask at the Massenburg forum as well. And do a search or two.

Archived