Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wegen vs. V-pick

skipclone 1

I mentioned briefly that I got a V-pick at the recent music fair.

Don`t know much about them but curiosity got the better of me.

Until now I have used a Wegen pick for my acoustics.

Last night there was an open mic and food/drink party for artists who have

performed at my longtime favorite venue.

There were dancers, an opera singer, a magician, graphic designers,

several DJs etc., good fun.

I played the first set, then later sat in on a jam.

I was skeptical about the V-pick but I decided to give it a try.

First thing to note is, that Wegen picks are intended for acoustics.

The V-pick as far as I know, is for general use.

Wegen picks have serrations carved into the surface to increase sure gripping.

Personally I still find that they slide around-not such a problem with a light touch but when trying to cut through a live mix it can be a real issue.

I found the V-pick material much better at going where you aim it-reminds me of Tuskbuffer`s mammoth ivory picks.

The V-pick is very bulky-those who are used to thinner picks would have quite an adjustment phase. It`s also very pointy-like a heart with a single lobe in back rather than a `B` shape. The Wegen pick has more surface and is not as bulky. The picking edge is also more rounded.

Overall I like the shape of the Wegen pick better. I`ve never been a fan of `jazz picks`, the V-pick has that kind of profile but pumped up.

But the positive grip gives it a definite advantage live. I`ve had to briefly interrupt my playing to adjust the position of the Wegen.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never heard of either so I looked 'em up.

Both companies make several models, and Wegen uses a few different materials. You'd have to specify which of each you use, or otherwise you sound a bit like you're shilling for the two brands.

Both makers, in their promotional statements, "promise" their product will make one a "better" guitar player. But, that's not REALLY up to the PICK, is it? ;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

That`s easy enough-the Wegen pick is the `Gypsy Jazz`.

V-pick is the `Tradition`.

I`m not shilling for either. Here`s a hint-I had to pay for both.

They`re both different from standard picks. I present my impressions for those who might be considering one or the other.

I use thin red Cool picks which are pretty standard as far as size and shape and come in a lot of color coded thickness sizes. They are made of plastic with "serrations" which I really like as they do help keep the pick from slipping or getting away from you. The damn things just won't wear out or break. I would shill for this company LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I have several Altoids tins full of V-picks, at this point, different styles, and different thicknesses. I enjoy all of them although I tend to gravitate towards the super-heavy picks, like the Colossal and the Insanity, for electric playing.

They do make picks that are closer to the thickness of the Dunlop Jazztones, and those are very good for Acoustic playing. IME, they don't warp or wear out: I have Dunlop Tortex picks that have warped from the heat and pressure of my hands, and I'm talking about the purple 1.14mm picks!

One big issue with V-Picks; they're not cheap! A single V-Pick runs anywhere from $5US, up to $40US, depending on the model. If you're used to buying picks at 5-for-a-buck, you might think I'm nuts for buying these things - hell, if you've known me long enough, you should already know that I'm nuts - but they really work for me.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I've got a fair number of picks, myself: plastic, steel, carbon fiber, carbon nylon, jade, agate, metacarbonate, ceramic nylon, titanium, copper...

Most of them tend to be stiff. I don't like flex in my picks.

Some are very flat, some are fat. I have one plastic one I gnawed into a curved cone cross section that, happily, turns out to be a killer of a shape for picking AND grip.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Yeah, I came at it from the opposite direction a couple of years back, when I was researching what sort of pick I should buy for the gypsy jazz guitar I was ordering, and "Wegen" came up as pretty much the only answer. :-)

Wow are they stiff and heavy, but they have more "modern" versions as well. I've toyed with this pick on other instruments, and find it a bit hard to use on anything but a high-action gypsy jazz guitar.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Hmm, I don`t know-I have picks in a lot of different materials.

The Wegen-the one I have-is definitely stiff but I don`t think it`s especially heavy-that is, unless it`s compared to the V-pick. The V-pick weighs nothing. It`s like it has no mass. The one I have is also transparent-the first thing I`m worried about is, setting it down somewhere and it totally vanishes.

Neither of these are cheap-losing them is not good. Over time I`ve had to change my mindset-now I see misplacing a pick more like misplacing a guitar.

I think a lot of players( and I'm in this group) figure "a pick is a pick is a pick", come across one that's the size and thickness they like and stick with it. Maybe a couple or so different guages for different applications. I only use Fender "extra heavy" and medium. The medium works better for me when playing my 12-string.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived