Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

mp3.com's assets being auctioned.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I must be misinformed, but I wasnt under the impression that they "failed".

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

Originally posted by Tenacious Duhduh:

I must be misinformed, but I wasnt under the impression that they "failed".

Maybe - I could be wrong. As I remember, Vivendi (the owner of mp3.com) closed the site, sold the domain name to cnet (who is going to open a new music downloading site called "download.com" instead of using the mp3.com domain name), and Vivendi is now liquidating the rest of mp3.com's assets both in this auction and in a sale of some of their technology to a former mp3.com employee or something.

Wow.

Download.com already exists, though. Its been around for years.

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

Originally posted by halljams:

Originally posted by Dr. Taz:

I wonder if any of the computer equipment still has MP3's from MP3.com. :D

*wishful thinking*

DUDE........ is that you in your avatar?
Nope. :) That's Viva Nova. Check my sig for more details. I love her pics. :love:

I found her on Mr. Satanism . It was on his list of 500 greatest chicks or something.

Originally posted by Tenacious Duhduh:

Wow.

Download.com already exists, though. Its been around for years.

Oh - maybe it was that they're going to add a music downloading service to that instead of using the mp3.com name? Honestly, I don't remember -- just guessing.

Actually, I thought MP3.com offered a pretty good deal by hosting my music for $5.00 a month on their Gold Plan. The service worked well for me, was easy to use, and helped to make my music available worldwide for $5.00 a month.

I am looking forward to posting more music with another online music delivery service in the future.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

well just to clarify DJ...I didn't say they ripped off independent artists, I don't really think they did, mislead yes but not ripped off.

It was mostly the stock owners that were ripped off IMO but it's a long story that I don't want to get into...all in the past.

They certainly could have done more for the independent artists they woo'd...they had A LOT of money to play with but like I said it was a scam from day one.

I was quite active on their artist's forum there towards the ends, and saw many injustices towards MP3.com, by many of the artists themselves. Some thought they had a God given right to a free web page and downloading services for life. Some posted very graphic garbage, political statements, and many wars were going on between artists. It wasn't always a pleasant experience.

But their basic packages they offered were basically good for the artists, but not appreciated at all. Many artists felt ripped off, because of a lack of money being generated by their music. Some must have had really high expectations, that were very unrealistic. On the other hand, some artists did very well there with hundreds of thousands of hits to their sites.

I have no clue about what went on with their shareholders.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

Their stockholders were led to believe they were turning a profit on their no-hard-goods platform. MP3c was one of many websites that subsisted exclusively on advertising dollars paid out by companies who truly believed that banners worked. As soon as they woke up from their stupor, sites started going belly-up.

MP3c's stock was one of many in the late 90's IPO insanity session that ended up being off the scale on the P/E chart - simply because they weren't making a profit. They were hemhorraging capital left and right, yet their stock soared all the way up to (correct me if I'm wrong, Steve) about $250 a share - before Robertson was exposed and struck the deal that got him out of there on a golden parachute.

Archived