Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Stones Recording "Blue and Lonesome"

LeftyBlues

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well being a LONG time Stones fan, I am THRILLED with the new album. I love the hard core blues, and Jagger sounds SO good on the harmonica. I haven't heard all the songs yet, but understand Eric Clapton is on the album too. I have read they they were just 'warming up' to play some songs for a new album and stumbled upon these songs and recorded them.

That they're STILL putting new stuff out is good news INDEED in these times when so many of our long time "heroes" are leaving us for good.

It warms the heart it does.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

During my formative years as a Blues player back in the 60's, I made a conscious decision to spend my time listening to the "Greats" (Buddy Guy, BB, Otis Rush, Freddie King et. al.). I really didn't spend much time or energy listening to white Blues players.

However, I have always loved The Stones and look forward to hearing the album.

If you play cool, you are cool.

The performance is great -- nice swamp feel, with a very authentic backbeat.

What's with all the sibilance, and uber-reverb on the vocals though? Is that an artifact of the on-line audio format conversion process?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, you might be onto something there.

I remember how shocked I was at "Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, Standing in the Shadows" as it was so lo-fi. Then I found out they recorded it under duress at an unfamiliar studio with unknown personnel (to them, not to others) while on tour in Detroit.

I think that was the only song that suffered such bad fidelity and stood out as "apart" from other songs -- it never feels right in a mix with other Stones songs as a result.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Well after listening to the album more than several times. I am HOOKED!! Yes, I believe I read that they want a more 'simple' feel and recorded it live in the room and not through all the electronics. I think they captured that feel and really appreciate the authentic feel. d I wonder if the recs you refer to that were hard to hear have to do with MJ's English twang??

Been a long time Stones admirer here, their rhythm section just slays me with Kief chording. I always admired Kief's rhythm guitar work and I thought Charlie Watts was amazing on drums. The bass is always solid. Ron Wood never super impressed me but he is a decent player. And Mick, what can I say, Mick is Mick. All together they are a rock and roll band of great skill.

I bought many a Stones album back in the day, & I can't give a higher compliment than plunking my hard earned cash down on their stuff & I done that many times.

Haven't listened to the whole thing yet but I gotta say I suspect, esp from a KR interview I heard (it's posted in one of the recent BDay threads but, what the heck, here we go ...)

[video:youtube]

...that this is a Jagger driven project.

He & Jones were the actual blues fans in the early band, KR & Wyman being, in each their own way, rock oriented & Watts a jazz snob.

& here's Michael P Jagger's statement on things

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPvTdlOjRSw

d=halfnote

Archived