Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Riddle Me This Batman

Markyboard

I have 2 devices powered directly off USB ( Akai MPD232 and MPK 249). When I shut off my equipment at the end of the night I use 1 power switch for the amplifier type equipment and one for all my keyboards and such. The computer remains powered on by choice and obviously so do the USB powered devices.

Does anyone know how I can use the same power switch for the keyboards to shut the USB devices off while still leaving the PC powered on? I tried a powered USB hub but when it loses it's power the USB powered devices remain on, although the displays may look a bit powered starved - probably not good for them and/or the pc.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If boot up time is annoying you can swap your spinning disk for an SSD. Then shut down that computer. Start up will be a fraction of the time it took before.

Thanks, been using SSDs for several years. Still prefer to leave PC on - it's a personal choice. ;)

Ok, both Akai's have power on/off switches on back. Do they continue to stay on when connected to powered USB port regardless of their toggled position?

The answer to not using the units' power switches (if that's the goal or they don't kill USB power) is going to be based in the PC because that's where the power is coming from as mentioned above. So your motherboard would need to be capable of responding to an OS or software requests to toggle power to the USB ports.

How about this:

Use your powered hub and have the power adapter on your preferred power strip which you are content to toggle. Then one extra step - unplug the hub's USB port rather than at the computer's which is probably located inconveniently. Use one or a few of these to keep your USB cables exactly where you want them.

http://media02.hongkiat.com/gadget-cables-holders-organizers-you-can-buy/03-blue-lounge-cabledrop.jpg

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Ok, both Akai's have power on/off switches on back. Do they continue to stay on when connected to powered USB port regardless of their toggled position?

No - but as you guessed the power switch is not conveniently located on the MPK249 and I often forget to turn off the MPD232. Also I often forget to turn these on before starting up Reaper and end up having to close it down and restart it again :mad:

How about this:

Use your powered hub and have the power adapter on your preferred power strip which you are content to toggle. Then one extra step - unplug the hub's USB port rather than at the computer's which is probably located inconveniently. Use one or a few of these to keep your USB cables exactly where you want them.

Yep, good suggestion. I was just hoping someone knew of an ac powered device that with power loss would switch off the USB power and signal inputs. The only thing I came up with is this combination of tools; but I fear this may come with its own set of issues:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/BVcAAOSwxp9W8G8h/s-l300.jpg

+

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MzI3WDUwMA==/z/sxUAAOSwBLlU5zN0/$_32.JPG

I may be missing the point, but why not just get a short USB extension cable to leave plugged into the computer with the other end in easy reach to plug/unplug the hub?

It's a whole buck!

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030304&p_id=5432&seq=1&format=2

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I may be missing the point, but why not just get a short USB extension cable to leave plugged into the computer with the other end in easy reach to plug/unplug the hub?

Yeah, I realize that option. Again I was thinking it would be easy to connect up to some sort of powered USB hub/switcher that's plugged into the same circuit as my synths so that hitting the main power switch turns on/off all my synths and the USB powered devices at the same time.

Plugging/unplugging anything repeatedly isn't the best option.

And it's a bit frustrating when I forget to do it before opening up my DAW. That's all.

I know on the Windows systems I use (and there are several) Pro Tools scans the attached hardware at launch - and USB MIDI peripherals that aren't there at launch require me to quit and restart for them to be recognized. Now, other software - Sibelius, stand alone versions of Kontakt, etc. allow me to go to preferences and manually rescan. On the other hand, I don't see this behavior on Mac OS and let's say Logic or most anything else I can think of, which pays attention to the USB ports constantly and devices become available/un-avaliavle when attached/removed. Ghosts in the machine I guess - not sure if there is one reason or several these setups behave differently.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I always found this annoying as well and wondered if there was some magic trick to recovering the USB devices without restarting the DAW.

With some more research and contemplation I've come to the following conclusion:

No device exists that works the way I want. Any alternate options are at least as "inconvenient" as turning on/off the devices with their resident power switch...or worse.

Btw I could forgo the USB altogether and use the dedicated midi connectors with an ac adapter for each device. I may consider this for the keyboard controller. The drum pad controller uses non- conventional 1/8" midi connectors and having an ac power cord makes it less lap friendly. Or...I could just leave them powered on. :wacko:

Thanks for the suggestions.

I discovered today that Reaper has a RESET MIDI button under preferences that does re-scan the USB ports and make them active again. I also assigned a shortcut to it :cool:. Can't believe I waited this long to find this out and I have you EJF to thank for it. Hopefully PT will eventually adopt this.

I am going to switch over to using the conventional midi ports on the MPK249 and ordered an AC adapter; that very small power switch on the back is a pain to feel around for. I also discovered that turning off the pc does not fully power down the USB ports but puts them in standby which provides a smaller USB power voltage; still enough to light the display but not the drum pads and other functions. Also, just saw one of your replies Markay and no, there is no sleep function for USB that I'm aware of.

I even butchered up a USB cable this morning to disconnect power coming from the PC to a powered hub. This does power down the USB devices when AC is Shut off. Unfortunately the PC can no longer detect the presence (or disappearance) of USB devices - not very useful but does make sense based on the USB protocol spec.

Archived