Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I am SO done with JBL

Synthaholic

If you have any time at all, consider widening your search to include Turbosound's iQ series, which are getting rave reviews in pro audio forums. I'm sure I'd at least try to audition a pair if I were in the market. The iQ10 sells for around $500.

Disclaimer: Turbosound is now a subsidiary of Music Group. If that spooks you, nevermind...

Interesting that the Turbosound brand made it's way back again. Long time, no see.

I just had a sound man friend recommend a pair of iQ15 monitors for my keys (I like low end). Just looked at the specs, 2500 watts per monitor. Holy cow. They are reasonably priced. What gives?

Turbosound iQ15

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ The spec sheet list that as "maximum power" and with an asterisk ;) It might hit 2500 watts for a fraction of a millisecond at a certain frequency if it's fed with plenty of clean power.

Maybe.

Probably similar to QSC's peak power rating of 2000 watts on their K series power amps.

I bought the Turbosound Milan M10 last month, but only did one gig with it as I don't need to bring an amp for most of my gigs. I'll report back when I get some more miles on her.

In my experience, they are not dissimilar to the ZLX and EON. All these affordable molded-cab speakers have a very comparable sonic signature.

As for the ZLX12P's bass output, I felt it wasn't enough for synth bass work. My old EON15G2's were a lot more satisfying in that regard.

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

I use a JBL Eon 515XT with a Hammond XK1 and a Kurzweil SP4. I play left hand bass, and the JBL does a great job, but sometimes I need just a bit more low end grunt and don't have room for a subwoofer, so I am thinking of trying something else, possibly a QSC K12 or an EV ZLX12P or ZLX15P. Does anyone here know whether any of these can deliver more low end than the JBL 515XT?

I recently did a side-by-side comparison of some powered speakers, including the JBL 515XT and EV ZLX15P, which sounded fairly similar to me. I ended up with an RCF ART715A, which was more pricey but had more depth in the bass and more clarity in the treble.

I just had a sound man friend recommend a pair of iQ15 monitors for my keys (I like low end). Just looked at the specs, 2500 watts per monitor. Holy cow. They are reasonably priced. What gives?

Turbosound iQ15

Peak power or Watts are irrelevant measures quoted to impress the gullible. What you will hear is the end result of the amp driving the speakers, and critically how efficient the speaker is.

SPL is a more reliable indicator of how loud a powered speaker is at max volume.

The quoted SPL for the Turbosound is 132dB, identical to the QSC's IIRC, and 3 dB louder than the ZLX12P.

But that doesn't tell you anything about their frequency response at low or max dB's and that is where the EV's win for me as they retain fidelity up to near max SPL.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Turbosound iQ15

But that doesn't tell you anything about their frequency response at low or max dB's and that is where the EV's win for me as they retain fidelity up to near max SPL.

Exactly! It's all about how the speaker reproduces the frequencies throughout the entire SPL range. This is where QSC falls apart. They become boomy at high SPL levels.

The EV's are clearly the best sounding at high volume.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

The reviews on Sweetwater appear to be glowing for the turbo sounds. Some compare directly to QSC, EV, and JBLs.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived