Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What should new Roland VR-09 successor look like?

spanner

That mostly describes my VR-700. Obviously the synths are better on the VR-09 and iirc the piano as well.

I love my VR-700 for its action, but I don't need it to be 76 keys since I use a 2nd keyboard. Smaller and lighter would be nice, with the updated sounds from the FA or VR-09...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Used VR-700 isn't much more than a VR-760. Similar but better piano I think and more synth options. And newer of course, which might be a good thing as far as any hardware failures. In fact I'm selling mine on local CL, no bites yet :) Main reason: I want something smaller and lighter, likely an electro now that it can play two sounds at once.

Used VR-700 isn't much more than a VR-760. Similar but better piano I think and more synth options.

The 760 is the one with more synth functionality... it has controls for attack, release, filter cutoff and resonance. This was discussed a bit earlier in this thread. Each has some advantages... the 700 has some updated sounds, better split/layer functionality, and is a bit lighter. The 760 has aftertouch, more front panel real-time tweakability, better display, ability to take an SRX card, and those synth functions. Both are light on MIDI functionality.

I want something smaller and lighter,

Yeah, that's the biggest knock on them. And they gave us that in the VR-09, but maybe went a bit too far. 12 lbs is great, but slightly heavier version that had 7x great feeling keys and some of the other things talked about in this thread would have been what a lot of us would have preferred.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Archived