Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Using one stereo DI for 4 channels

RudyS

Just had a gig. The sound guy wanted me to go stereo. He did our sound two times before and it was good, so I thought, ok let's have it a go. (Normally I always play mono).

There were enough monitors so I didn't need mine and thought to skip the mixer as well. The sound guy told me to plug in my two keyboards in one stereo DI. So left of my electro in the left input of the DI, left of my PX5 in the left link of the DI. The same for the right channel. Of course I have to balance the sound between keyboards this way. Did anybody tried this?

Rudy

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be a little bit careful doing that, depending on the DI. On most of them, the link output is tied directly to the input, which means your 2 keyboards outs are wired directly together. If each keyboard has enough resistance in its output it can be fine, if not, you can cause damage to the output amplifier of the keyboard. I think this is part of why I was blowing through output boards on my Fusion - I was doing this with my triton. Obviously design differences in the two meant that my triton could handle it and my fusion could not.

I eventually switched to the radial rackmount, which has parallel inputs AND an link out. It basically has a passive mixer for the 2 inputs (A and B) and passes the sum out the link.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Thanks for the reply Dan. That was exactly my concern. I asked the soundguy multiple times if this couldn't do harm to my equipment. He said no. I am no electrical engineer so I wasn't sure.

Next time I just use an extra DI then.

Rudy

I'm really confused about this post.

Isn't the link/thru jack an OUTPUT, either to send your keyboard signal to a stage monitor or, for a guitarist or bassist, into an amp while still recording the clean track for reamping or modelling later?

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

Pretty easy to make a "passive mixer" y-cord yourself. You'd need 2 (L,R).

Or, just buy an inexpensive stereo passive mixer- try Rolls, etc.

As long as your 'boards have nice line level output you'll be OK.

A Y-cord is not a passive mixer - it's doing exactly what the link jack on the DI is doing. A passive mixer includes resistors.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Edit: forgot to quote, but this is a reaction to dr88

Yes, well it is what Dan said. The link is just hard wired to the input, so it is two parallel inputs/outputs coming together. The normal way to use this is indeed sending the link to a monitor. But you could also plug in a second keyboard. Thats what the soundman let me do. Dan confirms my feeling that this could go wrong!

Rudy

To be honest, I did it that way every weekend for several years and it worked fine. My fusion went through probably 2-3 I/O board replacements during that time - can I say for sure it was because of how I was running it? No. But when I switched to the radial with "A and B" summed inputs, I didn't go rough any more I/O boards. The triton never had a failure. Could just be differences in the output designs. So depending on the keyboards, you could be fine, but possibly not.

Dan

You never know, but I now read indeed that it is never a good idea. It may work fine. But it has a chance to go wrong, so next time I'll pass this option.

Here is an explanation: clonk for people who want to know

Rudy

Have the guy at American Loopers build you whatever you want, Channel Savers, Dual Mono to Dual Stereo Out, etc.

Excellent quality cheap as Mickey D's.

I have 6 x different configurations from A/B to anything imaginable and all of them around 300 bucks over the last 2 years.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Archived