Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Is this music too close to Love Boat

Jazz+

This is authentic swinging Caribbean Calypso on a I vi ii V

Some hipster told me this take is too "Love Boat", similar "tired" chords and it's "Caribbean", not Brazilian or Cuban (considered hip Latin styles)

Could it be we watched too much TV and became unconsciously reactionary about some music by slight association?

[video:youtube]

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some hipster told me this take is too "Love Boat", similar "tired" chords...

It doesn't put me in mind of the Love Boat at all.

Furthermore, I don't agree with the following assumptions inherent in the hipster's commentary:

1. Chords can get tired.

2. It's possible to be "too Love Boat".

Sail on...

tumblr_ogibjrsOrX1ual3guo1_250.jpg

Yes. And no.

As someone who grew up with the Love Boat Theme, I do find that to my ear - I hear what your hipster friend is alluding to, a more than slight association. And, what Alexander is playing is very inside, and I can see how to a certain kind of ear, it's a little TOO inside to the point of being "unhip".

But that begs the larger question - who is qualified to be an arbiter of "what's hip" (besides Emilio Castillo and Doc Krupka, of course).

I think I'm sympathetic to the school of thought that suggests if what you're playing is unhip, it ain't the song's problem - the problem is right there in the mirror.

I very much dig this clip, as inside as it is.

yeah, screw em. what the heck, chords get tired. if that were actually true we'd all have stopped listening long ago. voicings like any stylistic thing about music come and go like fashion. Like Julie McCoy's hair-do and ascot were out of style come 1989 but if she walked into the room again today, some hipster would be talking about how vintage she was looking. This is how Monty plays Caribbean Calypso - if the style (his style) isn't hip enough for the hipsters, it's the listeners choice to tune it out. You also have cats like Isaac Washington walking (and playing) doing their thing forever regardless of the decade, and I'm cool with that 100%. Play it like it's meant to be played or look for something new to play. Can't please everyone. YMMV

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Yes and no?

Just my thoughts. Monty was playing Jamaican Calypso music years before the Love Boat was dreamed up by Hollywood. What kind of listener thinks Monty plays too inside? He sure uses a large number of very surprising harmonic chord subs that suddenly key shift without preparation, he does it so smoothly that perhaps it isn't noticed. And why would Monty play a bunch of dissonance on a happy major key Calypso tune? He can do that, but why would he or anybody for that matter? That would be collegiate and a miscasting. Do listeners really rate music as good because it has a certain quantity of dissonance involved rather than what it does have? I am reminded of the College chick I met who wrote rock album reviews for some national magazine and she told me secretly that she based it all on the lyrics and gave the melodies and harmonies no attention at all.

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

I hear the Love Boat thing.

It's a skilled performance that is sure to strike many ears as safe and perhaps even corny.

It doesn't take away from Alexander's skill or history. It's just a bit dated for today's ears.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

What is "today's ears"?

I don't think I have any of that.

I thought there was good music and bad music.

I guess it means there are good ears and bad ears?

Or is it now about safe versus unsafe music.

Monty plays "corny". I had to look that word up again to figure that means Monty plays "trite, banal, or mawkishly sentimental."

Hmm.... really? Maybe some listeners have grown up too close to TV music and Radiohead?

I get it, he didn't pull any Herbie licks (Joey?)... so it can't be very great.

He only played incredibly bright melodies. And with a great swinging Latin feel. Simple la la party music, just too darn happy. Gimme some worried Radiohead instead anytime... Brad?

Ears of the beholder. Just like we differ in styles we enjoy. I enjoy a lot of music, all sorts, and of course I have my own criteria for what constitutes "good" music. We all do. But it's great to have an open mind and give something you haven't gone too deep into a shot. Like trying something new to eat... traveling abroad and not ordering a burger and a coke.

But occasionally we get some posts that are really down on some musical style and include snide comments about how, "jazz isn't visceral enough for me", or those blues riffs are worn out", "another rock tune with root position chords and nothing but unrelenting 8th notes in the bass", "another corny Calypso tune on I, ii, vi, V". LOL when we say things like this we're just basically describing what makes the style the style. And if you don't like it, no big deal pick another style or invent a new one, or morph an existing one into something a bit different - and I think that's where your hipster friend is coming from. But sometimes there's nothing wrong with playing to expectations. Example...."Oh, not another waltz in 3/4 time!" LOL What does that even mean? :) styles come into existence and eventually get a name because of certain characteristics, no?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

What is "today's ears"?

I don't think I have any of that.

I thought there was good music and bad music.

I guess it means there are good ears and bad ears?

Or is it now about safe versus unsafe music.

Monty plays "corny". I had to look that word up again to figure that means Monty plays "trite, banal, or mawkishly sentimental."

Hmm.... really? Maybe some listeners have grown up too close to TV music and Radiohead?

I'm not sure where you're headed, but if the question is, "do tastes change as time goes on?" I don't think there's really any doubt about the answer to that.

I don't think your hipster friend was discounting Monty Alexander wholesale, just commenting on this song.

I may not have made the Love Boat connection myself, but I can certainly see how someone might get there. Similarly, I can see how someone might not find enough adventurousness in this interpretation to feel the same interest that you do. No one has an obligation to like what someone else likes. I think you're being a bit hard on your friend for the sole sin of having different preferences than you. He or she might not be speaking for a whole generation or clique, but just as someone who doesn't find interest in that performance....

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Cool song but not even close to Calypso or Soca which is Trinidadian in origin and played on all the smaller islands (St. Vincent, St. Kitts, Domenica, Barbados etc). I know because of my in-laws. I wouldn't even classify it as some Caribbean music because it's not.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Archived