Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

CONGRATULATION BOB DYLAN

Larryz

No, I understand....I too suffer from the "Grammar Nazi Syndrome". It's a curse, really. We have no choice but to point out errors, no matter how much we try to hold back. Please don't hate us for it!

OK...I do not hate anyone Astring, to include you and Whitefang that suffer from the "Grammar Nazi Sydrome." I hope you will enjoy each others company and find forgiveness in your hearts before they come for you.

ps. I have always felt bad about the title of this thread as being "Congratulation" instead of "Congratulations"...does anybody really care?

Take care, Larryz

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure if Astring and I really WERE grammar "nazis" we'd have made it a point to mention it.

I can't speak for Astring, but in MY case, it goes to how I was brought up. I also will point out that my stickling about grammar as far as I'M concerned is a perpetual "work in progress". Was also told by others that no matter how smart somebody is, that if they TALK like a dumb-ass, they'll be THOUGHT of as one. And on the other side of the coin, a dumb-ass can be thought of as smart ONLY based on his SOUNDING so. It's all based on the old saying, "If you can't BLIND them with your BRILLIANCE, then DAZZLE them with your BULLSHIT!" ;)

I've gotten a LOT of mileage out of that. I also live by the credo; "Never have a method to your madness without a madness to your METHOD." :D

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

No, I understand....I too suffer from the "Grammar Nazi Syndrome". It's a curse, really. We have no choice but to point out errors, no matter how much we try to hold back. Please don't hate us for it!

I'm sure it was mentioned Fang...I hope this is grammatically correct.

Take care, Larryz

In my case, it might be an attempt to avoid this place from becoming another Facebook type thing, where when in my short time on that grotto, I've seen the word "there" used in place of "they're" and "their". and also "to" used in place of "too" and also, of all things, "TWO"!

To get back on track:

I read somewhere Dylan cited "prior commitments" as a reason for not attending. I didn't however, see anything in the item I read it in about him losing the award if he doesn't show up in some allotted amount of time. Could be true though, since I've never have had to or will need to be concerned about proper Nobel prize decorum. :D

Whitefang

• 4 weeks later...
I hope the Swedes do a live broadcast of the speech so that we can all hear it over here. I think it would be cool if Dylan wrote his speech in a song and made them all listen to him sing for a half hour or so LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

• 3 months later...
Well, I'm glad it could be done in an intimate setting, because Dylan was really victimized by media attention in his younger days. They wouldn't let the poor mofo ALONE.....

Yeah. So much so he often made stuff up about himself and experiences he'd had. There's one story where he says he played a burlesque type place where, "....I'd go on between the strippers and the comics and sing my folkie tunes. One time a guy in a clown suit rolled up and pinched me on the cheek. I kicked him in the nuts and no one saw. The rest of the comics left me alone after that."

I read somewhere later on that the incident never really happened.

Whitefang

Well, I think Dylan was just making fun of people who had nothing better to do than to ask him dumb questions. In this case, I think it's rather obvious he was just kidding. Though to starstruck idol worshipers, who KNOWS what's obvious to them??

I don't do things like that on a REGULAR basis, but have been KNOWN to, LOL. Especially with junior Pharisees in churches.....

Could be too that over a longer period he got around to settling his personality and attitude. The thing I mentioned came rom some old paperback "bio" that was printed in '65. And possbly info gathered over the previous couple of years. His first Playboy interview was around that time too, and just as cryptic and sarcastically evasive. I ran across a copy of it somehow and where in the mid '70's and read his second Playboy interview later that decade. BIG difference. He seemed more down to Earth and forthcoming

Whitefang

Yes, it's true, most people "live and learn" and "mellow" (I actually hate that word, LOL) as they get older.

But in all fairness, people in public life learn defense mechanisms, sometimes because they feel they HAVE to.... like how the Beatles dealt with the press with humor in their early days. Because they had no particular to share their personal feelings with these people who after all, were not their "friends".

I think the Bob Dylan and Beatles interviews can be pretty fun to watch now and then. They have that humor and flippant attitude trying to be super cool in front of the cameras that I enjoy LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Bob's cool & all but he sought fame & media attention, even to the point of creating several false versions of his past so later when writers may've been skeptical of him in some ways, who to blame.

At other times he did have justification for sniping at those who didn't get his work or were unable to keep up w/ the hipper than hip crowd he rode herd on---or reverting to "gramma's grammar Nazi" mode, on which he rode herd.

As per lang, I usedta suffer from that malady, but eventually came to realize that language has always been a fluid, evolving thing & it always will be.

To play w/ lang is one of conversation's & writing's great pleasures & really a way of adding style &, in some ways, intimacy to communication.

Teenage & carny slang, etc.

As Professor Fred McDowell noted in his definitive 1959 work, I Do Not Play No Rock & Roll, "Who's never get it ?"

d=halfnote

I suppose to some, it depends on which direction the "fluid" flows. If it flows where THEY don't like, they throw a tantrum.

Bob's lyricism was always heavy on abstact word play and creating uniquely vivid mental images. And sometimes that tendency would show up in his speech. That's when those interviews get interesting. As for The Beatles....

For years, writers and other critics always foisted the "witty one" banner on John Lennon. Sure, he had a quick and sharp wit, but ALL of them in their own way, showed they too, had that "rapier" wit.

Whitefang

I suppose some know more abt tantrums than others (whatever that has do do with this) but here's something to mull over (or, "grammar nazis" watchin ?) over which to mull when putting Bob up against John.

John 'n' Bob inna back of Lennon's car (watch fer the look at Alf Bickner!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5YLdHG83U0

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5YLdHG83U0

That was filmed for prospective Dylan documentary but for some reason (who can imagine ?) left off....

Sometimes it's best to know when to just dial back.

d=halfnote

There's long been the "legend" that The Beatles introduced Bob to the potential of an electric rock band approach to music, and Bob introduced The Beatles to marijuana.

This little bit of film seems to support the latter. ;)

Whitefang

Larry, that's cool & all [great crisp drums & a very pop radio sound + expressive BD vox] but what's it's "formulation" ?

Couldn't find anything at the YT thread.

However, issat really Bob ?

For that toon, however, didja ever hear the one on SELF PORTRAIT ?

Bob Dyl (we call him that cause he's such a sourpuss) at Isle of Wight 1969 forgot the lyrix [honestly who could remember them all, anywhat) & sang the same line 3X----then decided to use it as an example of his performing on his own alb !

:D

If ya'ain't heard it.,, y'll have to find a copy b/c they seem to've scrubbed it from the Net.

It's worth hearing just for the fact of the mistake I mentioned.

However that Idjit Wind track above's a great way to respond to them who're sure they know what when they don't.

d=halfnote

I didn't look into who was signing and playing it, but they did a very decent job. A lot of Dylan's YouTubes have been pulled. I did like the cool pictures and the lyrics during the slide presentation...definitely shows Bob's poetic side. His voice changes with the times, how much he drinks/smokes or whatever and I'm sure it doesn't sound as sweet as the one in the video LOL! But, I really love Bob's voice, while many others can't stand it and say he can't sing. I even love it when he can't sing LOL! Yeah I used to have the album Self Portrait, but it's been a long time since I listened to it on vinyl... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Hard for me to pick a favorite, been a Dylan"freak" for so long, but gun to head, for lyrics, I'd pick this:

But the studio version does sound better.

Whitefang

Archived