Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

CONGRATULATION BOB DYLAN

Larryz

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/bob-dylan-delivers-26-minute-nobel-prize-speech-222105171--abc-news-music.html So, Bob Dylan delivered the required lecture for his Nobel prize...A very interesting and historical lecture for his fans! Of which, I am... :cool:

ps. I went back and listened to the full lecture. Bob Dylan is nothing less than a genius. He laid out a life in my past, present and future, as an old Viet Nam Grunt War Vet, and no one could have done it better than Dylan...Everything he said is true IMHO. I would encourage all of my brothers and arms to listen to the full lecture, even if they are not poetic. I wrote some good poetry in the field as I had nothing better to do in the long hours between enemy contacts and firefights. None of it could hold a candle from what I'm hearing my favorite poet say.

<---I will listen to Bob's lecture many times and this my favorite theme song by Dire Straits. I would encourage my brothers in arms to do like wise... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1,000,000 on the "genius"!

Me and no doubt countless guys from my generation can relate to what Bob said in that lecture. Especially the section when he talks about how what he's read in books shaped a lot of how he thinks of life and the world around him due to them giving him many points of view about life in general and the different people in it and how they handled different situations. I used to have the kind of job at the plant that allowed me plenty of free time I used by sitting by myself reading various books. I used to feel dismay for all the guys who laughed at me and told me it was all a waste of time.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not putting myself on the same level as Dylan. But I'm only stating I can relate to how he absorbed all that information and "vernacular" from folk music and I'd assert that his reaction to Buddy Holly and his music IS similar to MY reaction to HIM and HIS music! I've mentioned several times that Bob's song "It's Alright, Ma(I'm Only Bleeding)" captured EVERYTHING going through my mind at the time but couldn't ARTICULATE as thoroughly as Bob's lyrics had. You can probably "google" the lyrics( if you aren't that familiar with them) and see what I mean.

I too, wrote tons of poetry over the years, some of it good, some of it crap, but ALL of it influenced by his "free verse" style of poetic writing. He influenced FAR more than my music or poetry.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I'm familiar with the lyrics, I just can't remember all of them. That is one thing that amazes me about Dylan. He has written millions of lyrics and he has instant recall on all of them! Me, I have trouble remembering 20 songs or so...I'm going to make it a point to read Moby Dick, All Quiet On The Western Front and The Odyssey one of these days and then go back and listen to his book reports again. The way he breaks these books down is very profound...

I like the song Tangled Up In Blue and Like a Rolling Stone for real life poetry and Desolation Row lyrics and Ballad of a Thin Man for painting picture fantasies with words...There are tons that I can mention and I know you are focused on I'm Only Bleeding and do not care for Thin Man. That's what gives his fans the ability to pick and choose what they like and he gives us so much to draw from. Rolling Stone is still my favorite...

I know there are some that do not like Dylan's vocals, but I love listening to him. I have to admit that not everything he does is pleasing to the ear though LOL!

I'm really happy with the lecture and I am so glad they made it available to everyone out there...I love the way he singled out Buddy Holly as his inspiration, it reminds me of my singling out Elvis as mine. I'm not a fan of Holly but I can see how Dylan was inspired by him as a young kid. There is so much out there by these guys that you can pick and choose what you like...For Holly, I like That'll Be The Day...Those that don't like Dylan will hopefully still find something of interest in the lecture, as did the Nobel Prize folks... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Archived