Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg USB Midi Driver problems

Gary75

I am trying to install the Korg USB Midi driver on my Macbook running Snow Leopard 10.6.8, but it keeps saying the installation failed. Tried earlier versions to no avail. Finally got round to sitting down with my Kronos as when I initially got it I found it overwhelming coming from a Nord Stage.

Any ideas?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Korg site says it only supports 10.6 running in 32 bit mode. Is it possible you are running in 64 bit mode?

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

On the page you linked click on the "download the latest PC and Mac comparability chart" Mac link.

In the PDF it states "All our software do not support Snow Leopard 64 bit mode".

Somewhere in "About this Mac" you should be able to tell if you are in 64 bit mode.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

On the page you linked click on the "download the latest PC and Mac comparability chart" Mac link.

In the PDF it states "All our software do not support Snow Leopard 64 bit mode".

Somewhere in "About this Mac" you should be able to tell if you are in 64 bit mode.

http://osxdaily.com/2009/09/07/how-to-tell-if-youre-running-the-32-bit-or-64-bit-kernel-in-mac-os-x-snow-leopard/

Ok I checked the link kindly provided by Reezekeys and indeed I am in 32bit mode. I have actually tried earlier version to no avail. I know I should upgrade my OSX but I am concerned in the drop off in performance on an older computer. I have 8GB and 7200rpm drive speed. Should I be thinking of going to El Capitan?

Thanks for your input guys.

UPDATE. Ok so i downloaded r3 of the USB editor and interestingly the screen that you see before installing says it has to be 64bit. That goes against what it says elsewhere. Right, ok, so I need to get my Mac into 64bit mode. Time for some reading!

It seems that Snow Leopard was 64bit but Apple had it default into 32bit. All the OSX on from that defaulted to 64bit. I am sure that is my issue.

Ok I give up, I cannot get it to permanently switch to 64bit kernel as it comes up as permission denied when i try to use terminal. Even when I am logged in as root. Maybe this is a sign I need to do the big ol' update.

It sucks but that's life. You get extra points for hanging on with Snowy Leopard this long. It was my favorite Mac OS for music. Years of use with no glitches.

You could try to find older versions of software that would let you stay on 10.6.8 - they're probably out there somewhere. I'm surprised Korg doesn't have a download section with older versions. Are they short space on their server? :)

Ok I give up, I cannot get it to permanently switch to 64bit kernel as it comes up as permission denied when i try to use terminal. Even when I am logged in as root. Maybe this is a sign I need to do the big ol' update.

How old is your MacBook? If it has a Core Duo or Core Solo processor it can'r run a 64-bit kernel. The processor name should be listed in "About This Mac"--> "More Info..." --> "Hardware."

It's a Mid 2010 i5 processor MBP, the 17" behemoth that was to be last of its kind in terms of size. I have decided to go to El Capitan. I'll back up my drive, and do a fresh install after hard drive erase. I can always go back if needs be. I must admit it is getting more problematic. Safari updates are no longer supported so sites like YouTube don't work anymore unless I use Firefox. FaceTime no longer works correctly etc etc.

Archived