Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

AES Los Angeles 2016 Reports

Geoff Grace

As many of you know, the 141st AES Convention will take place September 29-October 2 in Los Angeles at the Los Angeles Convention Center. (Exhibits open this Thursday and remain open through Saturday and program dates are Thursday-Sunday.)

While AES conventions seldom offer keyboard news, they often feature releases of products that are important to us like DAWs, plug-ins, and audio equipment.

Please post your AES Los Angeles 2016 reports here, for forum members who are not fortunate enough to go to the show.

Feel free to discuss AES announced gear, events, and performances in this thread.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Toontrack's EZkeys String Machine sound library is based on a sampled mid-seventies Solina String Ensemble synthesizer, but it also comes with a collection of sounds sampled from several other machines of the same era:

[video:youtube]

Best,

Geoff

Steinberg's Cubasis 2 provides new features such as real-time time-stretching, factory audio loops tempo match, pitch-shifting with formant correction, along with new instruments, effects, and refills to its iOS DAW:

Best,

Geoff

AES Project Studio Expo details revealed

Speakers include Producer Fab Dupont (Mark Ronson, Jennifer Lopez), mix engineer Ryan Hewitt (Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Lumineers), renowned acousticians John Storyk and Renato Cipriano, SOS editors Paul White and Sam Inglis, regular SOS contributors Mike Senior and Craig Anderton and Tape Op editor Larry Crane.

(I bolded Craig's name due to his past involvement as a forum member and moderator here.)

Best,

Geoff

got this in my in box today

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/923/MoEHvj.jpg

Focusrite - The Perfect Partner for Pro Tools | HD - and your chance to win a complete system.

Celebrate Pro Tools Freedom. Avid has unbundled Pro Tools: now you can get the software and the cards on their own. So there's never been a better time to upgrade your Pro Tools system with a Focusrite interface - and you could do it for nothing.

Visit the Focusrite demo room - Room 514 - at the Los Angeles AES for your chance to win a complete Focusrite Pro Tools system - including Focusrite's acclaimed Red 4Pre, a RedNet AM2 stereo monitoring system, and Pro Tools | HD Native PCIe or Thunderbolt.

And while you're there, check out the new Red 8Pre. All the cool features of the acclaimed Red 4Pre - and more: eight mic pres with the unique 'Air' effect and 64 x 64 I/O including 16 analogue inputs and 18 analogue outputs - and that's just the start.

Be sure to visit Room 514 to find out more - and your chance to win this powerful system. Focusrite - the perfect partner for Pro Tools.

:nopity:

Pro Tools 12.6 - A Detailed Look At The New Features

Best,

Geoff

Clip Effects is HD only. But I love how you can playback, bypass, render and clear on a standard PT rig. Ha Ha. Pretty obvious the functionality is in standard PT but hidden from the user. How else would you be able to playback or render?

The feature set of Std and HD has been pretty close. They had to throw a bone to the HD users who are paying excessively for privilege.

Apogee Element Series provides Thunderbolt hardware interfaces, control surfaces, and software for Mac.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1uKKKqSu7o

Best,

Geoff

Thanks, Geoff for staying on top of this show.

I caught these new thunderbolt interfaces from Apogee this morning. That's pretty aggressively priced for Apogee.

$595 for a 2 Mic Pre x 2 Balanced XLR out (expandable by 8in/8out ADAT)

The conversion and clock always sounds good on their stuff, and now the latency will be super low over thunderbolt.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

You're welcome, Elmer. Thanks for your contributions to past show threads. As I'm sure you know, it's a lot of fun to find and share info about innovative, new products!

Speaking of which...

Accusonus's new Regroover is billed as an Artificial-Intelligence beat machine, which can cut drum loops horizontally rather than in the traditional vertical slices, extracting hi hat patterns and otherwise unmixing stereo drum patterns. It can then rearrange the isolated layers and create new variations.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4WESDjxRik

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEG7gjxIoQg

Best,

Geoff

Accusonus's new Regroover is billed as an Artificial-Intelligence beat machine, which can cut drum loops horizontally rather than in the traditional vertical slices, extracting hi hat patterns and otherwise unmixing stereo drum patterns. It can then rearrange the isolated layers and create new variations.

This looks rather cool. Am I correct in thinking that it's similar to Melodyne, in that it analyses a waveform and intelligently picks out the individual elements?

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

This looks rather cool. Am I correct in thinking that it's similar to Melodyne, in that it analyses a waveform and intelligently picks out the individual elements?

Cheers,

James

x

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but it appears to analyze drum loops and part them out into individual instrument tracks.

Best,

Geoff

iZotope should sell a lot of these:

iZotopes new plug-in, Neutron, is designed to enhance your mixing process but what makes it unusual is that it achieves this by listening to your audio and suggested EQ curves, as well as allowing you to visually identify overlapping frequencies.

More here:

Neutron Mixing Plugins | iZotope

iZotope's Neutron analyses mix, suggests improvements

Best,

Geoff

I saw the Neutron demo and came away impressed. It is positioned to replace Alloy 2 and the rep says attractive crossgrade pricing will be available to current owners (I think he said $99). If my computer meets mininum sys reqs, I'll do it. About that, rep also said Neutron was designed to be more CPU-efficient than Alloy 2. When I asked if user presets will be transferable, he said they're working on that.

On a different note, my main impression after a few hours on the floor was that EVERYBODY has jumped on the Dante bandwagon. This sucks for those who bet the farm on AVB, like MOTU.

I grew up on Bechsteins so I'm probably gonna want this.

Lucky You. ;)

I want it also but don't think I'm going to pay 250 Euro's at this time.

Maybe they will have a Black Friday sale like everyone else the day after US Thanksgiving.

:nopity:

From the blurb:

...also utilising for the first time the M/S microphone technique, the sound engineers and sound designers method of choice for capturing acoustic instruments.

Paging Aspen Pittman, hey Aspen...

Beyond the M/S thing a user better have a killer monitoring system to be able to hear all of this sonic goodness. A pair of Rokits ain't gonna cut it.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

I saw the Neutron demo and came away impressed. It is positioned to replace Alloy 2 and the rep says attractive crossgrade pricing will be available to current owners (I think he said $99). If my computer meets mininum sys reqs, I'll do it. About that, rep also said Neutron was designed to be more CPU-efficient than Alloy 2. When I asked if user presets will be transferable, he said they're working on that.

On a different note, my main impression after a few hours on the floor was that EVERYBODY has jumped on the Dante bandwagon. This sucks for those who bet the farm on AVB, like MOTU.

Thanks for the report, zephonic. :cool:

Glad to hear that Neutron seems to live up to its promise; and yeah, Dante support has been mounting for some time nowespecially for live use, but for studio as well.

Best,

Geoff

Archived