Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"My b**bs are touching your strings"

EddiePlaysBass

Had a local gig with the pop band last night. 7 minute drive so I did not mind when I got called in to set up and soundcheck early. Our drummer was still at another gig at this point so our sound guy filled in on drums and I checked the levels in the room. Thank Fender for the long cable I bought off them! Left all my equipment there and my bass in the kitchen, and went home.

Fast forward a couple of hours, I went back to the gig. Near the entrance stood a herd of teen chicks. Much to my surprise, one of 'em saw me and came running towards me ... "Mom and dad are in the back of the room, want me to show you?" Turned out to be the sound guy's daughter :grin: I said hello to everyone and went to grab my bass from the kitchen.

As I was tuning up, a woman turns to me and asks if so-and-so would be coming too? A couple of weeks I played an acoustic set (on electric upright) with my other band, for the singer's wife's birthday. Turns out she was there, too. I'm getting recognition!

We were asked to play 90 minutes and to make the first half "mellow and acoustic" cos it was a mixed crowd and there were some older people. We went over well and a lot of our tunes had people dancing. My playing was borderline awful! I know which notes to play but for some reason didn't play them ... Oh well, no one seemed to notice nor mind!

All through the gig, to my left an older guy was stood looking utterly bored. At me. Did not move a muscle, just stood there. Could've been my imagination but I think he never even blinked for the entire 90 minutes. Just looked bored.

Near the end of our set, as we were rockin' it electric style, the sound guy's wife - now good and well drunk - stood right in front of me, her nose almost touching mine and making "rock" faces when suddenly she says: "My b**bs are touching your strings". I never before finished playing "Smooth Criminal" with such focus :grin:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
These are the moments why most of us choose to play music.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Near the end of our set, as we were rockin' it electric style, the sound guy's wife - now good and well drunk - stood right in front of me, her nose almost touching mine and making "rock" faces when suddenly she says: "My b**bs are touching your strings". I never before finished playing "Smooth Criminal" with such focus :grin:

You're standing nose to nose, and her chest is touching your bass strings... Doing some quick calculations in my head...

Either you wear your bass very high or...never mind.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

• 3 months later...
that soloed bass track makes me rethink everything I know about the Stones.

How so ?

I think Wyman's work is largely undervalued.

He had a very distinct style, often working the middle range & flipping in open strings + using mostly chordal tones that seem to get lost under the "front" of the track (& further obscured by the often messy production methods).

We now return you to the main topic...

:D

d=halfnote

• 4 weeks later...

Archived