Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My head hurts (A+7b9b5)

WesG

I would also agree with Bobadohshe that in this big-band-type context (dectet, but same idea), that a dense chord like that probably indicates that there are horns playing a voicing that includes those notes (F, Bb, and Eb). So you probably want to avoid clashing with them.

I also agree with you that playing in large jazz ensembles is a great thing to do for a number of reasons - as you said, it's fun, it pays, and you learn. Exactly. I've done quite a lot of big band/large ensemble work for those exact reasons. It helps sharpen both your reading and your ears.

I would recommend it, unless you hate big bands. There are some that do.

I've come to the conclusion that in large ensembles, it tends to limit your freedom, because you have to consider what everyone else is playing, and act accordingly. The larger the ensemble, the more this applies, in my experience. Whereas the smaller the ensemble, the more freedom, the ultimate being solo piano - you can play whatever you want, without fear of stepping on anyone else's toes. It's almost like a mathematical equation, like E=MC2, or something.

For that chord, A+7(b9,b5), depending on how well I knew the arrangement, I might play just a 2-note shell voicing if I was sight reading it, like just G and C#. If I knew it better, I play G, C#, and Eb. Or other notes. Just taking care to not clash. Unless I wanted to clash for some reason, but probably not.

By the way, I think A+7b9b5 is a perfectly reasonable way to notate that chord, especially since the copyist went to the trouble to stack the b9 above the b5 like that. A+7 is a well-established shorthand for Aaug7, or A7#5. One you get used to shorthands like that, they make charts easier to read. If you're sightreading, and you have maybe 1/2 a second to read and then play the chord, anything that helps you digest it quicker is a good thing.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whereas the smaller the ensemble, the more freedom, the ultimate being solo piano - you can play whatever you want, without fear of stepping on anyone else's toes. It's almost like a mathematical equation, like E=MC2, or something.

I once read that it's a linear relationship. X=Y/N. N is the number of players. Y is what you would play when N=1 (solo). X is the amount you should play. :)

By the way, you're not kidding about sharpening the reading. I hadn't read much in 20 years when I started this. I just played a gig where I forgot to write chord symbols in over one chart. That's a big jump for me -- I started life as a saxophonist, reading one note at a time. That song, I played 3 or 4. :)

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Archived