Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hypothetical question: So you've got a session in another town...

A long way away. You want to take as much of your gear as is practical. You:

A). Drive.

B). Fly but only take as much as you practically can, and use what's there at the studio.

C). Ship your gear ahead.

D). Other options...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't take the job and recommend somebody who is local, and hope you get a referral fee.

Some jobs just aren't worth the hassle. Especially when you have to go on the road and run into many unforseen expenses.

It would really be a judgement call on a case by case basis.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

I'd take two guitars and maybe a processor or two if rackmountable. I'd fly if more than 300 miles or so. Make sure I have my guitars safe and secure in nice anvil cases. Then I'd rent whatever else I needed and put that on my cartage fee.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Oops! You're one of the clients. Same thing, except I'd pay for the rentals myself. Guitars are tough. I'd like my own, but I'm not going on a plane with more than two. Maybe three. Hmm. Don't ask me why. Probably just because I only have two, no make that three anvil guitar cases. OK, thee guitars! :D

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Originally posted by Tedster:

Oops...to clarify...you're one of the clients. You're going to record at another studio in another town. The gear I'm referring to is guitars...etc...

Two- to three- day drive: Throw it in the back of the Aerostar and drive. (But then, I *LIKE* roadtrips. ;) )

Longer than that: Hmm, I'd fly, MAYBE try to carry on one guitar, and use whatever the studio had on-hand, or go renting/begging. Or maybe take my direct rack, which is only a three-space shallow affair.

How much stuff do you figger yer gonna need?

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Okay, I'd say bring your own instruments. They may have a Les Paul there, but once you get there, you may find the neck unplayable, or it's been modified and you'll never get that "same sound" live. You just don't know.

Here again it would be a judgement call, does the part being recorded absolutely require you to be there, or can a recording be shipped to your place and be added to later, at a local studio ??

Is airfare being paid for ?? Do you actually have a ticket in your hand, or at the last minute somebody calls you and says you still have to show up but, you have to supply transportation ??

Do you have a ticket back home ??

Some hairbrained promoter or sponsor changes plans and these things actually do happen, so it would be a judgement call, on a case by case basis.

You'll also have to have accomodations while there, are you willing to accept a flea bag motel, or do you have to pay for a decent place ??

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

Thanks for the suggestions, guys, all good. Denny, I like roadtrips too...but flying seems to be the way to get maximum done while burning minimal annual leave.

Wayne:

"Here again it would be a judgement call, does the part being recorded absolutely require you to be there, or can a recording be shipped to your place and be added to later, at a local studio ??"

Probably a little of both.

Henry...yeah, I like your ideas. I'm one who likes to have a Strat sound, Paul sound, and acoustic (absolutely necessary)...and I do worry about borrowing stuff that is set up way beyond what's comfy for me to play. If I had the time, I'd do Denny's idea, load up the van with everything I'd reckon I need...but it's that damnable time factor. Ultimately, I'll probably make sure what they have available...and scrimp on what I won't need. Lodging probably wouldn't be a problem.

This is all in its very early stages, and quite possibly wouldn't happen. But it might.

OK, so Ted, where is this hypothetical place that might not happen anyway? Sounds fun. Too fun to give someone else the gig. But it sounds like it's partly your gig, right? You're in this band, so you can't sub it out. Of course sending you the tracks taks away the advantage of doing it somewher else, I would assume a better (fun-er) locale and studio??

I hate subbing myself out, unless I simply can't make the gig. I know a bass player who used to be a sub-sub contractor. He'd take every gig offered. Never turn anybody down, and sub out those gigs he couldn't make. I only wish I had that much work!

All the best,

Henry Robinett

Originally posted by eh steve:

guitars are like women

each one is different and wonderful in their own way.

just grab whatever, crank the 50w and dance.

:P

That'd make a great signature line... :D

Henry...check your PM's...

I think that if I was flying, I would rather ship the guitars than fly with them. Shipping companies (FedEx, UPS) do a much better job of caring for packages than airlines do. After all, it is their primary business. When something goes on an airline it is just luggage.

On the other hand, if I was going I would probably just try out some guitars there. Restring them with the strings I like, play em a little, and I would probably be good to go.

Sounds interesting Ted - keep us posted...

- Calfee Jones

Ted, you could always come to my place and leave your gear at home! ... we have 2 pauls, a 71 standard and a newer custom, a killer strat with an early 60s neck, an old (50s) gibson acoustic, and a new gibson acoustic, and fender amps up the yin yang... (60 concert, 64 and 66 supers, old pro reverb, 60s vibrolux) see ya soon ! ;):P:wave:

Kris

My Band: http://www.fullblackout.com UPDATED!!! Fairly regularly these days...

http://www.logcabinmusic.com updated 11/9/04

If it was more than a day's drive away, I'd probably go with B - fly and take a couple of guitars and my little gig bag of toys, use the amps at the studio or rent/borrow amps. Or maybe even bring my own if it was a small amp and I had a flight case for it.

Originally posted by Kris:

Ted, you could always come to my place and leave your gear at home! ... we have 2 pauls, a 71 standard and a newer custom, a killer strat with an early 60s neck, an old (50s) gibson acoustic, and a new gibson acoustic, and fender amps up the yin yang... (60 concert, 64 and 66 supers, old pro reverb, 60s vibrolux) see ya soon ! ;):P:wave:

I'm on my way! ;)

Hey, wouldn't that be cool, though, to kinda travel 'round the country and record with forum buds. I mean, a lot can be done online these days, but it's not nearly as much fun...

Originally posted by Tedster:

Hey, wouldn't that be cool, though, to kinda travel 'round the country and record with forum buds. I mean, a lot can be done online these days, but it's not nearly as much fun...

This thought has intrigued me for some time now. Some time ago, I mentioned doing a Duke to Dak Tour. I thought I could do this with vacation time, but life-as-usual got in the way. I now have the ability to retire, but it's scary in these times. But dammit, the scare changes, yet still looms ahead.

One idea I had was to write a book about open mic and/or jam nights, going to different towns, adding stories along the way, gigging as much as I can. I could use one of those "I'm blowing my children's inheiritance" bumper stickers, though.

I have a doctor's appt. tomorrow that may keep me on disability for a while, after which it may be hard not to retire. I've seen it happen with a few others.

Anyway, were that the case, I would have offered to share the trip with you, Ted.

Henry

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

Archived