Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Got to play a Montage and ......

Bif_

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's not a bad idea, MurMan - even if it needs to be "crowd sourced" by users after the fact.

Thank you for volunteering. :cheers:

Are you starting with the Kronos or the PX-5S?

Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos 61, Omnisphere 2, Ableton Live, LaunchKey 25, 2M cables

As it stands now, we have to literally reverse-engineer nearly every setup before we can safely use it. :(

First thing I do on any new board like Korg or Yamaha when calling up a factory Program or Combi is make sure the ARP switch is off.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

That's not a bad idea, MurMan - even if it needs to be "crowd sourced" by users after the fact.

Thank you for volunteering. :cheers:

Are you starting with the Kronos or the PX-5S?

LOL - I don't have a Kronos and the PX-5S is pretty straight forward as far as the presets go. There's not a lot of hidden stuff going on. If there's an arp, it's active on all keys. I think there may be a couple that have the arp trigger with velocity (think there's a Latin flute patch in there that does this), but other wise it's play and go.

I may do it for the presets on my Microbrute though... ;)

Don't you love it when the band leader calls a ballad and it has an acoustic piano featured opening, and you hit patch change but it didn't click and you go for the first chord and it's your f#cking Clav+ Phaser patch left over from the dance set. And it's in the wrong octave? Thank goodness I don't use the transpose function. ;)

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Don't you love it when the band leader calls a ballad and it has an acoustic piano featured opening, and you hit patch change but it didn't click and you go for the first chord and it's your f#cking Clav+ Phaser patch left over from the dance set. And it's in the wrong octave? Thank goodness I don't use the transpose function. ;)

Unfortunately, I can check all of the above boxes, including the transpose function.

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

I'm kinda late to the party here (as usual! :laugh: ), so I hope it's not too late to bring this thread back to the original topic...

About a month ago I was in St. Louis and got to play the Montage in 2 different stores. The first one I played was set up by the PA equipment on a stand that wasn't level with the floor, and was plugged into a Bose pole system, using the right (not the mono) output. :facepalm: Made me wonder if they really wanted to sell it, or if they were just paying lip service to Yamaha. Thankfully I'd brought my headphones along so I could hear what it would sound like at home. :cool:

The second store where I played one had the Montage featured at the entrance to the keyboard room and set up properly with good monitors and pedals. This was where I totally fell in love with it, and decided within about 10 minutes that this would definitely be my next main keyboard. The sounds were absolutely stunning - The simple ROMpler patches were clear and detailed, and the FM synth patches were dynamic and organic. In short, it felt like a musical instrument, rather than a piece of computer hardware. For me the finger-sound connection was almost like mental telepathy. The piano and electric piano sounds alone were almost worth the price of admission, IMO. :love:

Overall, my response was similar to Stephen Fortner's - It's been a long time since I've fallen so much in love with a keyboard, and I will own one as soon as I can come up with enough cash. Yes it's big and heavy...I'll plan on recruiting help to move it, and then get on with playing it. :cool:

><>

Steve

The second store where I played one had the Montage featured at the entrance to the keyboard room and set up properly with good monitors and pedals.

Was it a GC? I've been to three GCs in the last week and all of them have the Montage set-up front and center of the keys dept. with HS8 monitor speakers attached. I'm guessing Yamaha themselves provided or at least speced that display. And obviously it worked based on the experience you had.

Where the Montage really shines is the huge amount of DSP, 2 insert effects for each of the 16 tracks.. That makes 32 insert effects in total, where my Kronos only has 12 in total.. Sadly there is no dynamic assigning, so if you only use 3 sounds, a huge amount of DSP will be not used... No good effects routing...

But with us getting used to huge amounts of DSP efeects on our DAWs and solving a lot of finetuning trough dsp Effects, finally having a hardware synth that delivers on this is a good thing..

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha Tyros5 (76), Integra 7, macbook pro/mainstage

...... The sounds were absolutely stunning - The simple ROMpler patches were clear and detailed, and the FM synth patches were dynamic and organic. In short, it felt like a musical instrument, rather than a piece of computer hardware. For me the finger-sound connection was almost like mental telepathy. The piano and electric piano sounds alone were almost worth the price of admission, IMO. :love:

Overall, my response was similar to Stephen Fortner's - It's been a long time since I've fallen so much in love with a keyboard....

Very much like my overall impression; the finger-sound connection experience felt like I was close to playing an organic, musical instrument. Starting with the S90ES, I noticed this strong, player connection; and my S90XS offers that as well. Yamaha does something to optimize the live playing experience - both for the finger-sound connect, and hearing the instrument cleary. I would say they have the sounds-that-just-work vibe nailed.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I love that balanced action. I'm in talks to get back into the blues scene. If it happens the rig will be the S90XS and the XK system. I wish the Kronos had an action like that. It almost plays too good. It is easy to spew on that action.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I love that balanced action. I'm in talks to get back into the blues scene. If it happens the rig will be the S90XS and the XK system. I wish the Kronos had an action like that. It almost plays too good. It is easy to spew on that action.

In a similar fashion, I'm looking at ways to get back into the country scene in this region. If that happens, my S90XS and SK-1, 73 will be the core rig. That balanced action and finger-sound connection does have high spew potential; and it just seems to flow naturally. I wish the Forte 7 - which is a monster in every other way - had a finger-sound connection like that; and the spew potential gets a B- compared to the Yamaha's A+.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

In a similar fashion, I'm looking at ways to get back into the country scene in this region. If that happens, my S90XS and SK-1, 73 will be the core rig. That balanced action and finger-sound connection does have high spew potential; and it just seems to flow naturally. I wish the Forte 7 - which is a monster in every other way - had a finger-sound connection like that; and the spew potential gets a B- compared to the Yamaha's A+.

I am in a country band here in Texas and that is pretty much my rig. S70XS and an SK1 along with an Integra-7 in the rack.

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Archived