Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just got a new iPad Pro. Cool tips?

Bucktunes

Okay, I've been GAS-ing for one of these ever since I started hearing rumors that Apple was going to release it. I finally pulled the trigger on it this week - Got the big screen, 256gb memory, just ported all my apps and files over from my old iPad2. So far I have nothing but love for it. Just being able to run ForScore on it and see charts full size is almost reason enough to own it! I also got the Apple pencil with it, so I'm looking forward to using that on scoring apps. :)

I love how much better it runs synth apps, can run Synthmaster Player, and sounds better on its own with the built in stereo speakers. Now I'm ready to integrate it into my home studio space and possibly my live rig, so I call upon my KC brethren for advice from anyone else who's using one. :cool:

- What's the preferred method of getting MIDI in and audio in/out of it? I've used the Griffin StudioConnect for my old iPad 2, and it's always worked well. I especially appreciate that it keeps the iPad charged while using it. Would it be good enough just to get an adapter to convert the 30 pin connector to the lightning socket on the iPad Pro? Could I just get a USB-lightning cable and hook it straight up to the PC?

- I'm warming up to the idea of getting a dedicated keyboard for it and using it as a synth live. Any recommended 3 or 4 octave (full sized keys, please) controllers that could just USB in/out to it and have standard 1/4" audio outs that I could run to my mixer?

Also, any synth or scoring apps that require the iPad Pro that I really need to have? I already have too many to list them all, so go ahead and throw suggestions at me. If I already have them, it will be nice to have the reaffirmation! Thanks in advance, guys! :keys2:

><>

Steve

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another iPad notation app you may wish to try is 'Touch Notation'. I've yet to use it on an iPad Pro, but folks who have say the pencil input is pretty decent.

As for connectivity, if you don't want to go the USB route, you may consider a Bluetooth MIDI adaptor such as the Quiccosound mi.1, or similar device from Yamaha.

App recommendations would be Korg Module and Gadget, along with Galileo organ.

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Korg Module

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/korg-module/id932191687?ls=1&mt=8

And you'll be wanting a nice audio/midi interface for it. Lots to choose from:

Korg plugKey should be available soon, or right now.

http://www.korg.com/us/products/computergear/plugkey/specifications.php

It's nice because it has a lightening connector and a microUSB port for charging the iPad while in use.

Alternatively, you may like the iConnectAudio2+

http://www.iconnectivity.com/products/audio/iConnectAUDIO2plus

Or an Apogee Duet - but it doesn't have a 5 pin MIDI breakout cable, just audio. MIDI you have to use a USB Keyboard that's core midi compliant.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

You got the big capacity...GOOD! Beware of synth-app addiction. My paltry iPad2 with only 16GB of storage has helped curb my affliction, yet I have purchased many times over the capacity of my device and have likely forked our more dough for all of the music apps than I paid for the device itself. I've managed to avoid Module so far, but only because I'd have to delete so many other fun music apps to make room for it.

There really needs to be an Appa-holics support group...'cause I'm gonna need professional help if I ever have the opportunity to upgrade to a newer iDevice.

I can highly recommend Animoog, Sunrizer, anything by Wolfgang Palm, everything by VirSyn, all things WizdomMusic, Arturia's iMini, iSEM, and iProphetVS, CMP Piano, Grain Science, absolutely EVERY Yonac app, ThumbJam, DrumJam, RockDrummer...could go on and on and on and on and on and on and....

Korg plugKey should be available soon, or right now.

http://www.korg.com/us/products/computergear/plugkey/specifications.php

It's nice because it has a lightening connector and a microUSB port for charging the iPad while in use.

Thanks for reminding me about this. It looks like that will hit the spot, and it's small enough to use here or on stage. Sold! :thu:

I don't have Module yet, but I've got plenty of other toys here to cover everything it does. Still, its sounds are good, and it would be handy on the go. If they have a Christmas half price sale again... :idea:

><>

Steve

Notion has pencil input and it works pretty good but overall I believe it's the best app right now and I have used it to create actual charts unlike the others that seem to be so buggy.

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

You got the big capacity...GOOD! Beware of synth-app addiction. My paltry iPad2 with only 16GB of storage has helped curb my affliction...

I'm also moving up from an iPad2, but it has 64GB. I found the older processor was more the limiting factor for running synth apps, especially Synthmaster Player. In fact, don't even bother with that one unless you have iPad Air or newer.

I can highly recommend Animoog, Sunrizer, anything by Wolfgang Palm...Arturia's iMini, iSEM, and iProphetVS,...could go on and on and on and on and on and on and....

I have these, but only Wave Generator by Palm. :cool: Thanks for the suggestions! I'll look into the others you've mentioned. :)

><>

Steve

Several apps that work well together and benefit/sound great on the iPad Pro.

Digital Mixer/Routing unit

AUM

- lets you route and mix together apps/effects, etc.

Effects:

AUFX:Dub (echo) and AUFX:Space (reverb)

Keyboard/Synth apps

- iSEM

- Korg iMS20

- Korg Module

- Korg Gadget

With the extra power of the iPad Pro and the extra storage, and some type of interface (like the ones ElmerJ notes above), you can use your iPad as both a keyboard sound effect unit, mixer and effect source.

Another option/alternative to the Korg PlugKey and iConnectAudio2+ audio-interfaces suggested above for your brand new whippin' iPad Pro is:

Novation Audiohub 2x4

Novation Audiohub 2x4 review

The audiohub 2x4 is still fairly small/portable but a bit ruggedly built (aluminum chassis) and the USB-to-host PC-connector isn't wobbly or flimsy and neither are the 3 available USB ports for USB-MIDI devices (MIDI keyboard controllers, launchpads etc.).

Sonar X3e Dimension Pro EWQL-SO Gold Pianoteq 5.3+Bluthner

PX-5S FA-06 SLMKII Graphite 49 AAS LL EP4 GS-2

Forte 4 Audiohub2x4 ASUS ROG G751(Live)

Scarlett 6i6 1010LT TS110A Minimix 8 EMU XMidi 2x2

- I'm warming up to the idea of getting a dedicated keyboard for it and using it as a synth live. Any recommended 3 or 4 octave (full sized keys, please) controllers that could just USB in/out to it and have standard 1/4" audio outs that I could run to my mixer?

:keys2:

Hey Steve. I don't think there's any controller that will do that, let alone have audio outs. Curious as to why you'd want that. Ny only guess is your thinking the controller will get audio from the iPad via USB? :idk

:keys2:

Hey Steve. I don't think there's any controller that will do that, let alone have audio outs. Curious as to why you'd want that. Ny only guess is your thinking the controller will get audio from the iPad via USB? :idk

That's what I was wondering about, although it really wouldn't be necessary with something like the PlugKey at work. Honestly, I've ignored that whole category of keyboards for a long time. Until now I'd never even considered them. I was just curious what's out there that anybody likes. :)

><>

Steve

Looks like I'll definitely be adding Notion and Magellan, since they seem to be well recommended here. :) And Geoff, thanks for reminding me about the Moog 15. That's one that I had pretty well overlooked at first, since I knew it wouldn't run on my old iPad 2.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! :)

><>

Steve

Was just checking a Pro out at the Apple store yesterday. It looks really good for running synth apps; that huge screen gives plenty of room to run the controls. So yep: Magellan is a beast of a synth. Sunrizer is another one. Also, Animoog is cool and the interface is killer. Thor is fun too.

Let us know how you get along with it after the honeymoon period.

Logitech has a pretty cool iPad Pro stand that charges the iPad using the smart connector on the side.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/base-ipad-pro-stand

base.png

This frees up your lightening port for an audio interface which I think you might be able to hide behind the iPad on the dock. How slick would this be on top of a VPC-1, even in your living room (which might be acceptable to your spouse!).

http://www.keyboardmag.com/portals/2/Kawai_VPC1_web.jpg

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Just being able to run ForScore on it and see charts full size is almost reason enough to own it!
I'm in total agreement with you. I used an iPad 3 for around two years, and it just wasn't big enough. It also only had 16gb memory, and it just wasn't enough. I got the 128gb Pro. The size of the screen and memory are perfect. And price-wise, just a few years ago you'd have to pay this much for a brick-of-a device Music Pad Pro, and all it did was display scores on a similarly-sized screen. Some other apps I've used on my old iPad in the past (that I've already downloaded onto the Pro) are Forscore obviouslypretty much the undisputed best app for displaying scores, Sampl for playing samples, Galileo Organ (actually pretty good sounding).

I have a new 12.9" as well. Primarily using iGigBook for PDF display of charts - love the fact that rotating it to the other axis automatically renders 2-page display. Used that function all weekend for both Saturday and Sunday's grand piano jazz gigs.

A few accessories that I have found useful:

Joy Factory MagConnect Mic Stand Mount

31HqrB8NMHL._SX300_.jpg

This includes a hard plastic case / back that holds the iPad securely, with the carbon fiber arm and attachment to use on a standard 5/8" mic stand mount. Mounting is assisted by a magnetic "mating" device, then the large red thumbscrew secures it in place. Very well made, I feel very confident having my new expensive thing mounted to the mic stand with this.

When not in the MagConnect mount, I use this clear grippy silicon case:

http://images.mobilefun.co.uk/graphics/productgalleries/56571/luvvitt-clear-grip-ipad-pro-12-9-inch-tough-case-clear-p56571-a.jpg

It's inexpensive, grippy, protects all surfaces, and is very well made.

Also installed Zagg's tempered glass screen protector. It's pricier than competitive products, but install is way better / easier, and the product's lifetime warranty is solid. I've used Zagg on my iPhone 6 and let me just say Zagg stands by their warranty replacement.

http://d2ydh70d4b5xgv.cloudfront.net/images/7/b/zagg-invisibleshield-hd-glass-screen-protector-for-apple-ipad-pro-12-open-box-9cdb44db122d6289d35fa6f6a29ba219.jpg

As a case for mine, I've been using the Logitech Create keyboard case. I like it because it's extremely easy to basically transform the iPad into a laptop for serious keyboard typing, but it can also be folded up behind the device to be viewed normally in portrait orientation. It also protects the front and back of the device, so it gets high marks in the protection category too.

My most recent gig relied 100% on my iPad's sounds, and it worked perfectly - so you can feel good about the idea of using it as a synth for live performance.

I've used the Griffin StudioConnect with a 30-pin to Lightning adapter for many hours (must be apple brand), and it has been perfectly stable.

I then moved on to an iConnectAudio4+ interface, which uses a proprietary USB-B to Lightning cable but also charges your iPad.

What I'm using now is the new Apple Lightning to USB3 camera connection adapter. What it does it gives your iPad a USB-A port, which I connect a USB hub to (and now use a standard USB-A to USB-B cable to go from that hub to the iConnect), and it has a second Lightning port which you just plug your regular old Apple charger into. So it's a little clunky in the sense that you have a sort of "Y" adapter coming out of your iPad, but it gives me the flexibility to both charge my iPad as well as hook up a number of USB devices to it (keyboard, audio interface, MIDI interface, etc.)

Archived