Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just got an accordion

ksoper

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To sleepngbear, I can relate. I got so good on clarinet while studying between semesters with a Boston Symphony player during summer session away from Indiana University, that I didn't enjoy it anymore because I was ONLY able to focus on my flaws and weaknesses.

My Dad had switched from music to math/science at the EXACT SAME AGE for the same reason (he is an INCREDIBLE flutist).

I know a fair number of full-time classical musicians in the Bay Area. The happiest ones are freelance, substitutes on-call, etc., and make their money from teaching, repairs, luthier work, etc. The others are always worried about the next "challenge" for their seat.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

One of the "surprises" for me regarding accordion, as hinted at earlier, was that it makes a great classical instrument.

Richard Galliano is by now world-famous as probably the premiere virtuoso on the instrument. I first became familiar with him via his amazing Bach renditions:

https://www.amazon.com/Bach-Richard-Galliano/dp/B0034JV5YO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1470450619&sr=8-5&keywords=richard+galliano

Given that bach's keyboard works were originally played on keyboards that had no velocity range, hearing such pieces on an instrument with such wide dynamic range and expressivity, is an eye-opener.

He has recorded a gazillion albums by now -- I hadn't checked until looking for a link to post here. I am especially curious to hear his Mozart album, as well as his collaboration with Wynton Marsalis to cover a hundred years of jazz history.

Vivaldi's Four Seasons on accordion, could make for an interesting reading as well.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Galliano plays a Bayan which lets the right hand easily span over two octaves allowing normally two-handed Bach passages to be played by one hand while the left hand can play free-Bass notes or chords as well as Stradelli Bass. Vivaldi does seem to be popular on the Bayan.

[video:youtube]

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Galliano plays a Bayan which lets the right hand easily span over two octaves allowing normally two-handed Bach passages to be played by one hand while the left hand can play free-Bass notes or chords as well as Stradelli Bass. Vivaldi does seem to popular on the Bayan.

[video:youtube]

Outstanding.

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

I remember there was this guy who occasionally subbed for the organist in my Dad's wedding band who played a Cordovox. It had the physical layout of an accordion (keys for RH, buttons for LH), but IIRC, he didn't have to pump the bellows. Sort of an organ in an accordion format. I think he may have even played it through a Leslie/spinning speaker type of device. That thing sounded huge!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Get a midified accordeon and it can almost do as much as a keyboard...

One of my favourite dutch bands has an accordeon in it, Rowen heze, they play a popmix of texmex and pogues kind of music... It makes them definately have a very own and unique sound..

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha Tyros5 (76), Integra 7, macbook pro/mainstage

I remember there was this guy who occasionally subbed for the organist in my Dad's wedding band who played a Cordovox. It had the physical layout of an accordion (keys for RH, buttons for LH), but IIRC, he didn't have to pump the bellows. Sort of an organ in an accordion format. I think he may have even played it through a Leslie/spinning speaker type of device. That thing sounded huge!

Those things were beasts, but damn they had a very cool and unique sound. Their amp system was made up of two units -- one was connected to the accordion by a massive cable that had a wire for every key contact. It was the 'brains' of the system, which in turn went into the second unit that was the actual amplifier. Most, if not all of them were Leslie or Leslie-type rotating speaker systems. I'm pretty sure Cordovox was the first foray into the accordion-organ.

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

Those things were beasts, but damn they had a very cool and unique sound. Their amp system was made up of two units -- one was connected to the accordion by a massive cable that had a wire for every key contact. It was the 'brains' of the system, which in turn went into the second unit that was the actual amplifier. Most, if not all of them were Leslie or Leslie-type rotating speaker systems. I'm pretty sure Cordovox was the first foray into the accordion-organ.

Hey thanks for the info, that was the Cordovox system this guy had. Your "massive cable" reference jogged my memory...I remember it running across the stage and him explaining the components to me...kind of like you just did! I was probably around 14 years old and just beginning to understand the concept of electronic/gigging keyboards. Sounded fantastic. I still find myself chasing that sound when I need an older "wedding reception organ" type of thing. I think this was the rotating speaker he was using:

http://d2ydh70d4b5xgv.cloudfront.net/images/8/9/vintage-leslie-for-cordovox-cl10-speaker-works-4334f27a50301888d6843e8a2d297e95.jpg

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

My buddy has one of those and he'll break it out only for "special events". Too fragile and too much hassle to schlep around a 50 year old (not to mention heavy!) accordion these days.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Archived