Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

10" vs. 12" for PA speaker difference? (Considering Alto)

LarsHarner

Hello, as I am likely cancelling a trip for the fall/winter and will be getting a $250 deposit refund I am planning on getting a PA speaker for home use for my SP280 and ES8 as well as to use for my Krome at songwriting events.

I was considering getting the Truesonic TS210- they are backordered so I am thinking of getting the TS212 instead (as I have a 20% coupon as well)

For piano/rhodes is it recommended to go with a 12" to cover more range? Or should I be patient and wait for the 10"?

Thanks

I was also considering the DBR10 which I heard in NYC but not connected to a piano

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hard to say. 12" speakers are generally my favorite size for most PA applications. They seem to be more balanced than a 15" to me, with or without a sub. That being said, my favorite amps for keyboards are usually 4x10" amps of some kind (Fender Concert, Fender Bassman, etc.). I think 10" works well for keys, but if you plan on using it for other things, too, I'd go with the 12".

These two speakers are very similar. You maybe will get a hair more low end and a sweet spot a little further away from the 2x12. As usual, would be great to have them right next to each other and A/B them with your piano.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Are you able to audition your choices first?

This is really the only way to know what will work best for your needs, as well as your sonic preferences.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I have a 10, which I bought for small gigs where my 2 Barbetta 15" cabs might be an issue. It works really well,with Rhodes and Synth, and I don't miss my Barbettas at all. In fact I have just bought another so I can work in stereo - light and powerful. I haven't tried it with organ yet, but the bottom end is good and I expect it will be fine. Really good value. I imagine the 12s will have even more bass, but I'm not sure it is necessary.

Phil

I don't have the same model and brand, but have a pair of ElectroVoice SXA-100, which are 12", and a later purchased pair of QSC K10, which are 10". Bought them for smaller and lower weight.

The EV pair is setup in my shop/studio, and I like the sound overall with keyboards a bit better than the 10" QSC. However, I stall carry the K10s instead of the EV when I'm playing elsewhere. Note that I'm not talking about any major difference, just that the 12" seems a tad better.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I use a pair of QSC K8's for my keyboard amp. You don't need 12's unless you're putting vocal mics + other instruments through the PA and mic-ing the kick drum. Then you need the oomph response of a 12. If you're just sending a keyboard and 1 voice, you'll do fine with a 10. If it's just keyboard, the K8's are plenty good. It's not so much the size that matters, it's the quality. This can be said about many things. :)
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Tom is right as always.

10s, 12s, 8s, etc..... There are no generalities you can draw from other manufacturers. You have to find out how a particular speaker is tuned. Example the Behringer powered 12s I have sound fine for vocals but sound like ass for keys. They are way too muddy at around 125hz. The EV 12" EXTs sound good.

It is how the cabinet is tuned. You have to hear the specific speaker doing the application you need.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I have one pair each of QSC K8s, K10s and K12s in my inventory. Since they all have identical electronics and somewhat similar designs, the comparison can be interesting.

K8s: ridiculously portable, excellent dispersion, limited ability to project, reasonable bass for most keys, also good for vocals. If I had to pick one pair, it'd be these.

K12s: heavy and imposing, very directional, can reach the back wall of the venue, more authority to the bass, perceived as "louder". More of a specialized tool for the occasional situation.

K10s: about halfway between the two extremes :)

That being said, the QSCs get used mostly for band PA duties these days, as I've switched to the SSv3 for most keyboard situations.

Since we tend to play small, informal venues, we'll run the K8s for vocals only, and use the K10s/K12s for monitors. The K8s fills the space, but leave enough "breathing room" that patrons can actually have a conversation without shouting at each other.

-- Chuck

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Some guys are saying the SSv3 is a little underpowered in certain situations and feel they need to add a sub for low end in certain cases as well.

While this is true, you'd better be wearing good ear protection should you feel the need to start exploring the upper volume limits of the SSv3. As should your bandmates, audience members, etc.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Archived