Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rachel Flowers interview for Keyboard mag

Dave Bryce

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, awesome Dave! I was fortunate to see Rachel play at NAAM 2016. Her ability to channel Emerson is uncanny, not only the notes, but her approach, structure, phrasing, etc.,...all of the subtle, almost unmeasurable stuff.....and she is able to faithfully extend those interpretations in a way that he would. She understands how to think like him, and seems to play as if his spirit breathes inside her. I have spent my entire professional life working with people with disabilities, and will be interested in her take on how she has overcome the unique challenges she has experienced, as well as the gifts with which she has been blessed.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

We all know about her amazing abilities to play Prog Rock music that we all grew up with and love, but I would really like to know what she is doing with regard to original compositions. Also, there is a YouTube video of her playing a Chapman Stick, and she was really getting around the instrument for what was her first encounter with it. How is it that she seems to be able to pick up pretty much ANY instrument and quickly be able to play it?

Also, there is a YouTube video of her playing a Chapman Stick, and she was really getting around the instrument for what was her first encounter with it. How is it that she seems to be able to pick up pretty much ANY instrument and quickly be able to play it?

Some would say we (meaning those who are not blind) put up our own barriers, while a woman like Ms Flowers uses what she has without any preconceived notions.

Her innate ability of music, combined with what I am sure are heightened senses of touch and hearing let her quickly adapt to any instrument.

Truly a gift she has.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Go Dave! :2thu:

I have had a blind student for many years, and I have certainly learned from him as much as he has from me, and I'm not saying it rethorically. He's a stunning pianist by now, although he chose not to do it for a living (quite wisely, in my opinion).

Generally speaking, by hanging with a blind person for some time, you learn how much our senses can be stretched, to levels that we usually never think are possible. Like, he can recognize people across a crowded room by their smell, etc.

Musical ear is a field where they definitely excel. And to think that for them, it's three times more difficult to learn a piece of music; not having any written reference to rely on (at least while playing with both hands), they are forced to memorize *everything* right away. This is eapecially brutal for classical music, or any other genre requiring complex polyphony, hand independence, etc. - like prog, for example. :)

Really looking forward to the interview!

Generally speaking, by hanging with a blind person for some time, you learn how much our senses can be stretched, to levels that we usually never think are possible. Like, he can recognize people across a crowded room by their smell, etc.

pigpen.png

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• 4 weeks later...

Fascinating.

Both Rachel and her mom were an absolute delight. What a pleasure to have had the opportunity to speak with both of them. :)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/davebryce/13895241_10210295281837211_9210607393178630465_n_zps9tfkmmha.jpg

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Archived