Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Semi OT: misguided comparison

whitefang

Y'all pretty much know I watch that TV show "Pawn Stars".

On a show last night, shop owner Rick Harrison mentioned that some guy came in with the surfboard that was the one featured on the cover of the first two BEACH BOYS LPs. So, the resident dumb-ass on the show, Chumley, mentions he wasn't familiar with who they were, and when Rick mentions the song "California Girls", Chum mentions KATY PERRY. When Rick says "No, NOT Katy Perry", Chum then brings up TUPAK. Then later KANYE WEST. Rick says something about those guys using the name of a Beach Boys song.

So then, Rick's son COREY, who my wife says reminds her of JABBA THE HUT, claims that The Beach Boys made, "Mindless music for the masses"!

The irony for ME was that after the mention of Perry, Tupac and West, it was The Beach Boys that Corey claims made the "mindless music for the masses." When for ME, the OTHER WAY AROUND is more accurate! :D

Not surprising. Whether planned, scripted or what, Corey often displays an immense ignorance of American music history. And oddly seems to be PROUD of it.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in that pawn shop a few years back. The place was a zoo of course, because of the TV show. I saw a whole bunch of interesting stuff in there, overpriced, none of which I wanted to own. Just like the rest of Las Vegas it is just a money sucking enterprise. I never had the desire to watch the program, one of my neighbors was a fan so we all walked down Las Vegas Boulevard from Fremont Street and had a look.

The fact that that bunch has very little knowledge of music and the range of popularity of the Beach Boys, (who by the way made some excellent music from a musicians perspective) is no surprise to me. They seem too interested in the suckers that come in the shop and how to bilk them for as much money as they can. I am not a fan at all. Especially since I have been in the shop in person and viewed it from the inside out. It is a dumpy little place in a seedy part of town.

Well, Rick Harrison seems to have an acceptable knowledge and respect for older music and their artists. It's the younger dudes on the show that wind up looking dumb and disrespectful.

I mainly watch the show to see what kind of interesting stuff people bring into the shop.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived