Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Picked up a (free) Hammond C2/HR40 today - won't start.

Skinny

Like I needed another Hammond... A church about 40 miles away just wanted to simply get rid of their old organ. A musician friend of mine who attended this church as a kid referred me to it. He sent me some pics, and I saw that it was a C2.

I was unable to test it there; it was kind of a "Take it or leave it" type situation. So, of course, I took it.

I understand it hadn't been played for maybe 9 years. It will not start. Of course, I oiled it, and realize I may have to wait a couple weeks or more for it to start.

The start motor turns, it just doesn't engage the TWG. In fact, it looks like it can't reach the gear it needs to reach, similar to this video...

[video:youtube]

I tried to move the gear over like he does in the video, but it won't budge laterally. However it turns pretty freely, as does the whole TWG, as far as I can tell. When I manually turn the flywheel, it turns both ways without much resistance.

So, do I just wait and keep trying?

I should also mention that when the run switch is on, the tubes on the organ preamp as well as the HR40 amp light up.

Also, my wife told me I smell like a Hammond and I need to go take a shower.

Stuff and things.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a spring in the motor that causes the gear to pull away from the larger gear. Magnetic force when electricity is applied not only should cause the motor to rotate, but also should cause the rotor to go into the magnetic field (the iron core) and center itself, pushing on the spring.

Any rust or heavy gunk in the bearing area on either side of the motor can block this lateral movement.

I'd spray it down good with contact cleaner and perhaps alcohol, and let it sit for a while. Also, liberally oil the entire generator and give it several days to wick through into all of the bearings. These bearings are just sleeve bearings, not ball bearings. Even if the generator shaft can be turned by hand, that is slow compared to normal speed,

Nine years is a long time to sit without spinning. There may also be capacitors in the power supply that will be not properly formed. Still, the price is definitely right. I had a similar problem on a not-used for a while Hammond years ago, I had to put vise-grips on the main shaft and force it to turn at first, and once it got to where the motor would spin it, there were 5 or 6 squeaking bearings, but enough oil and several days of time got it going.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

What MBK said. Also, Hammond oil on the shaft of the "bendix" can help get it moving and degunked.

You should be able to push the back of the armature shaft so that it engages the generator gears. It really does work like the bendix in a car starter.

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Thanks guys.

One thing that is cool is that it has smooth drawbars, so it must be a late model (1954?) C2. My other C2 has ratchet drawbars, and I believe it to be about a 1950.

Stuff and things.

Awesome. Add trek II percussion, and you'll have a B3 equivalent or better :)

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Yeah baby, I got this bad boy running tonight. I was finally able to slide that gear back and forth, which took quite a bit of force until the oil loosened it up. After that, she started right up. This is by far the quietest TWG that I've heard. Unlike my other C2, every key and every drawbar works, and unlike my C2 and my M3, I don't hear any fluttery notes. So that rocks.

However, there is quite a nasty hum from the HR40 cab, but it still works. Not a big deal, as my goal is to connect my 122 to it anyway, or perhaps a line-out and a Vent.

Not bad for $0.00. :keynana:

Edit: hum is gone (or very minimal now) and the reverb on the HR40 seems to work, which I understand to be rare.

Stuff and things.

:thu: keep us posted!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Well, as far as updates, this is probably about it for the time being. We are in the process of listing our home and moving, so I won't get much else done to this until we are in a new home. But I am leaning toward a purchasing a Trek II Line-out box and a Vent, vs trying to connect my 122. The 122, which some of you may remember, is paired with, and matches my other C2 (both white in color).

For now, I'm just ecstatic that this organ, which didn't even start up at first, now starts and runs so smoothly, and is 100% functional - all notes and all drawbars work, and the C/V is sweet. And she has smooth drawbars!!!

Just need to clean her up a bit, and I also have a friend who can help me replace a missing piece of veneer. But overall, it's in decent cosmetic condition. Not quite living room quality, but decent nonetheless.

Stuff and things.

Archived