Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Integration between hardware instrument and software...

Bachus

I don't want it either. I don't like latency.

--

Also, I like how a hardware keyboard's various components will work together until it can no longer be serviced. I.e., more than 20 years. I would guess open systems don't have that longevity.

I recognize others don't need longevity, and value greater flexibility in their dollars, time, & space investment.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure I get you there. Hardware that works for 20+ years is great, and mated with software that can be updated as CPUs get more powerful is even better. Today I use my 30-year old KX88 to play the most powerful VIs out there. Best of both worlds. I think what the OP was asking is "why not have it all built into one piece." Unless I'm misunderstanding, which wouldn't be the first time! :)

Korg and Roland have both put out software versions of their synths. Roland has done more to tie those releases to hardware. Yamaha and Roland both purchased major DAW's and released heavily integrated products. Roland has since bailed. Not sure about Yamaha's current connection to Cubase.

Honestly, I prefer separates. Heavy integration usually means a lag in using the latest, fastest hardware, and it also results in proprietary parts that are hard to find years later. Just give me a good ROMpler with enough space to sit a MacBookPro on top.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived