Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cheap but decent instruments.

The Geoff

Due to a thread in the Guitar Forum about cheap-ish starter/noodling/jamming instruments, I offered this. In my opinion, worth a look:

If you are looking for a low cost instrument I can (from personal experience) recommend the 'Harley Benton' trade name as supplied by the German trader www.thomann.de

These Chinese-built instruments are subject to a high level of quality control by Thomann - so much so that many are sold for peanuts ($50-ish) as seconds which really need very little tweaking to be 'right'.

I have bought two 'Deko' (as they call them) instruments from them.

One is a 5 string fretless acoustic-electric which cost me about $55 and needed the truss rod adjusted, and the bridge saddle raised along with the nut slots cut a little deeper. Now plays perfectly. Normal price for this is about $165.

I also bought a 4 string Progressive bass for $50 (about $125 new).

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_b_450_white_progressive_series.htm?ref=search_rslt_progressive+bass_317310_5

Again, all it needed was the truss rod adjusted. Everything else is first class - fit & finish are great, active electrics effective, sounds good.

These instruments are fantastic value for money when sold as firsts and phenomenal when sold as seconds.

I don't know how readily this stuff may be available in the States, but they are sure worth looking at as a starter/noodling/jamming instrument and I personally recommend that you give them a look.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have access to those over here, Jeremy, so I couldn't make any comment, but I can tell you I was pretty astonished at the finish, fit & playability at the price point. Just passing on more gris for the mill. :) They might even come from the same source, for all I know!

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

They might even come from the same source, for all I know!

G.

That could very well be true. I've got a hankering for a semi hollow body guitar with a neck magnetic pickup and a saddle piezo. There's a Luna model and a Michael Kelly model that look identical, with a couple small alterations. ( I might have to order one on line without a test drive....none in the area. Or Godin...none of those either.)

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

I had a Jay Turser JT-136 guitar for a while. It's similar to a Gibson ES-175 for about a tenth of the price.

It was a nice guitar and no one could believe how little I paid for it, but I sold it. I'm just not a jazz guitarist and don't think I ever will be. I'm back to solid body electrics (when I play one).

They might even come from the same source, for all I know!

G.

That could very well be true. I've got a hankering for a semi hollow body guitar with a neck magnetic pickup and a saddle piezo. There's a Luna model and a Michael Kelly model that look identical, with a couple small alterations. ( I might have to order one on line without a test drive....none in the area. Or Godin...none of those either.)

I would, however, expect the Godin stuff to be better made with better materials than the Michael Kelly, Luna, Oscar Schmidt, Rondo etc. crowd.

The Chinese stuff does keep surprising me though.

I have a Strat I paid $60 for, and it smokes.

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

I would, however, expect the Godin stuff to be better made with better materials than the Michael Kelly, Luna, Oscar Schmidt, Rondo etc. crowd.

I would think so also, but the price difference on the Michael Kelly and the Godin isn't that much. Both seem to be rare as hens' teeth in these parts, so neither has been in my grimy hands yet.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

• 3 weeks later...
Don't forget the old US made Peavey basses from the 80s and 90s. They are excellent quality instruments and a crazy good value.

I've found Peavey everything good & durable stuff.

G.

Gosh, this brand name came up a year or so ago relative to something specific (maybe Lap Steel?), and I can't remember what was concluded by the forum, when combining specs with the experiences of some (in Europe) who had ordered some of their gear. I just seem to recall the brand is not available to USA customers -- at least not directly.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

When I tried to get hold of some of the stuff talked about on here a few years ago, I found that the companies involved wouldn't send gear to Scotland (Europe generally) - beats me why.

G.

Archived