Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Spider Pro additional tier

richforman

Thinking of getting the available additional tier for my trusty Spider Pro stand. There are only a small handful of gigs when I'd really want to set up a third board, two is enough for most of the ones I do; but for those it would be pretty cool to do so. Anyway has anyone added this to a Spider Pro? My questions are, is it quick and easy to take on and off the stand as needed? I don't want to install it permanently. And, when it is installed, does it prohibit carrying the whole stand in its carry bag? It is K&M part 18865. Thanks gentlemen.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The stand is engineered to hold two tiers collapsed and folded up against the column.

Taking off the top and adding the third tier is very straightforward and easy, but there is no way to 'collapse' it with the third tier installed.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

Good point about not being able to fold it up. That could be a minor annoyance. Another thought. Check the video out below. It's not a Spider Pro, but a similar column stand, with an 88 board on a table type stand, placed up against the column, under the lower tier. Seems like a cool way to approach this. Downside - a second stand to cart around. Upside - looks solid.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KCcn3mzT5c

Thanks, Doc. Now I have used the Spider Pro stand for years, of course it has the top tier angled. I didn't realize that you'd have to take the top off the stand to install the additional tier. What I'd want to do then is, *occassionally*, take the top off, take the top angled tier off, put the additional non-angled tier on as what would now be my "middle" tier; then put the angled top tier back on, put the top back on the stand, and then I'd have to reverse the process after the gig. Do you think that sounds feasible/reasonable/worth the effort?

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Another SPro owner here; it would seem to me that it would not be worth the effort; plus, if you lost one or more top screws, or elongated the holes from repetition that could be irritating too. Being sort of a boy scout mentality, I would definitely buy a few of replacement top screws from a local hardware store in advance at least.

The lower stand sounds interesting. I see the stand in the video had a flat top tier, fwiw.

I see the stand in the video had a flat top tier, fwiw.

Yeah - typical Apex style. I'm not crazy about the angled upper tier on my SpiderPro. But, a replacement set of flat ones is too pricey.

I bought an extra set of both the angled and the straight replacement bars to add an extra tier. I ended up sending them both back. It can be done, but as others mentioned it won't fold up without taking the top off. Also, I didn't like how cramped things were with this setup and because I stand when playing, in order to fit 3 boards the lower board would require being positioned in such a way that it made me have to bend down to play the lower tier. If you're going to do this do it with the straight bars, not the angled.

I have the Spider Pro and have added a third tier - a set of flat arms. The way I use it is I have the 2 flat arm sets as my bottom and middle tiers and the ones that are angled are my top tier. I also have the mic boom attached to the top of it as well - I purchased the metal top bracket to keep it more secure. I use a MicroKorg XL as my top tier and the arms were too far apart to hold it so I added the K&M 18876 Aluminum Tray and it works great (I also use an iPad on the top tier that you can see in the pic as well so the tray is a benefit for this as well. Here's a pic of it (sorry for the grainy quality) ... I'm 5'9" so the height of all the tiers is fine for me. YMMV

This doesn't fold up and fit in the carrying bag now however. No big deal to me because all the arms can be tilted up enough so when I load in/out it all stays together with bungie cords around arms to keep them from flailing. The tray is removable.

http://pctechsource.com/musicgear/pix/twss-chris.jpg

Kurzweil Forte,Roland Fantom 6,Hydrasynth,Numa C2X, SpaceStation V.3, other stuffs

What I'd want to do then is, *occassionally*, take the top off, take the top angled tier off, put the additional non-angled tier on as what would now be my "middle" tier; then put the angled top tier back on, put the top back on the stand, and then I'd have to reverse the process after the gig. Do you think that sounds feasible/reasonable/worth the effort?

Definitely feasible.

Definitely reasonable.

Worth the effort? YMMV.

My Spider Pro shipped with a faulty upper angled tier assembly whereby one arm was lower than the other resulting in a 5 degree tilt. The vendor and distributor were amazing with the support and shipped me a replacement tier. Once I had the top unscrewed, I kept the faulty one on temporarily for a few days as I now had an (albeit faulty) three-tiered stand good for stationary home KB storage but not for transport (and obviously not for playing with a noticeably titled board).

Removing the top, removing a set or placing a new set of arms, and re-screwing the top is a breeze. I'm not handy at all and had absolutely no problem doing it.

I don't remember the ergonomics of it, though, and as Jimmy Keys suggested, the tiers might not get close enough to make for comfortable enjoyable playing.

If it's for occasional use, you already like transporting and setting up your Spider, and you can stomach the cost of the arms, why not try?

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

Good points and good info, thanks again Doc88. Especially helpful that you threw in "I'm not handy at all" - that's me too! Think I might go for it.

Rich Forman

I'm confused and hoping someone can help me understand.

If I purchase the spider pro and purchase a set of additional arms (not laptop holder), my understanding is that I would remove the top cap and slide the 3rd tier into the track to be moveable like the other two. I'm trying to figure out why it wouldn't then fold up since in this scenario there are three identical(?) sliding arms.

Is it because the folded lengths of the arms * 3 is greater than total the length of the column. If that is the case, I would imagine more of a Christmas tree appearance with the limbs unable to fully collapse.

Do I have it right or is there a different reason that three sliding rack arms couldn't collapse effectively. (Again, I'm referencing a slide on to the front track,not Top mount, boom mic uninterested).

TIA

Chris

Main gear: Yamaha C7, Kronos 2 88, Moog Sub 37, CK61,  Kurzweil PC2x, Pearl epro, Mac/Logic/AUs

You have it right sir.

I just got one of these. And was thinking the same thing before it came.

The 2 tiers it comes with just fit with a couple inches of room.

When collapsed the arms then slide up within the column to fit.

Almost like an umbrella. It's a smart idea.

Way better than the apex which I've used for years.

When a 3rd tier is in the column it would not be able to fold up.

You'll have a 2 tiers sticking out like an anchor waiting to catch on something.

So far I'm digging this thing. My pedal board fits too.

John.

I have the third tier on the Spider Pro, two bottom ones are straight and the upper tilted. I just use it at home with all the three, when I'm gigging, I take one out, it's not that difficult, takes about ten minutes to take the top plate off, remove the tier and screw the plate back again.

Having said that, I've tried to fit the stand to the original bag, although the edges stick out, it seems to be possible.

Archived