Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NEED HELP WITH 130 PATCH CHANGES

SoloInterface

Need to program Roland FP 80 to sequentially change patches 130 times. Each change must be labeled as to the patch and registration set for rehearsal purposes. Thas means each letter as well as spaces in-between require the programmer to scroll through the entire ANSI character set as well as press sequences of buttons to call up the patches to be stored, the registration sets, and saving the registration sets. Hours of tedious work. Eventually I should be able to click through the program patch changes with a foot switch. What patch change software might facilitate this or which patch changer will facilitate this that doesnt itself program in the same stupid cludgy way with a little window. Is there a better keyboard to use? My platform is Macintosh.

There are three kinds of musicians,

those who can count and

those who can't.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 9 months later...

OK I will be a little more verbose than our good friend Sven.

I think this is what Sven is suggesting. If you were to use MainStage on a Mac or Cantabile on Windows it would be the master controller of all attached boards. The attached boards would each respond to patch change from MainStage as the required sound on each board would be set up as an external instrument in MainStage.

Anyway great you have got it working the way you want it.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

another alternative if you don't want to use a laptop is SetlistMaker for the iPad. I load all of my songs and master program changes through there and it's easy peasy to move things around, rename, etc... Plus, you can use the notes section to put info on splits, layers, chords, lyrics, etc...

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks gentlemen. My project got completed the hard way hours after I initiated the post to meet my deadline, sorry I didn't get back to the post, but I'm checking out your suggestions -- and thanks Sven Golly. On a somewhat related note: I bought a MIDI Patch Changer (MPC) made by Genovation. Instead of hauling a computer around, it's a little 16 key pad that stays wired and velcrowed (sp) to my controller for live performance. One can preinstall 16 program change requests (one per MIDI channel) and send them down the pike with the press of one button. Each string of requests is programed into a numbered preset and there are 200 OF THEM!! Averaging maybe 3 globel-ish (not all synths need to change at each request) program changes per tune comes to 66-67 songs. Not bad. Now I can change patches on 16 pieces of equipment (not that I have that many but I could) during a sixteenth rest with two degrees of freedom -- meaning I can associate any patch number on one instrument with any one on another. Maybe that's 16 degrees of freedom. ?? I rigged up a 4 inch bar right above middle C on my controller to the up arrow that advances the MPC. I don't even have to look down. Yummm!

those who can count and

those who can't.

I need to get one of those Genovation units. A very handy thing to have around.

I looked into it a little bit a while back, and while it does seem like a very cool device, for most people, I'm not sure I see much advantage to using it over an app like Set List Maker. There's no cost advantage unless you don't already own a smartphone or tablet. Unless you can memorize the locations of all your patches, you'll need to create a list of song patch locations regardless... on the phone/tablet, you'd tap on the name of the song, which seems more efficient than looking it up on a chart and then having to press the right button(s) on the device. Maybe the main thing is you can dedicate it and velcro it into the rig, so you don't have to worry about accidentally leaving it at home or also needing your phone/tablet for some other purpose. If you're going to dedicate it, then I guess in that case it could be cheaper than buying another phone/tablet. Though there are some suitable devices you could get pretty cheap used... an iPod Touch perhaps. Though as I think about it, there are also advantages to not being screen-based, it's more tactile, and you don't have to worry about not being able to see it in sunlight. Overall, though, I think I'd prefer the touchscreen approach.

Some years back, there was also a thread that talked about this at https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2234313/Re_Hardware_midi_mapper_for_li

and my comment at the time:

a nice compact size, though it looks to be a bit of a nuisance in being in multiple pieces. But if you're always using it with the same board, maybe you could velcro and permanently wire a lot of it into place.

The setup editing looks like a nice feature, too... too bad the software is PC only (no Mac).

One feature I thought was missing was that there's no mode where you can assign an entire patch change to a single button... you always have to hit "enter."

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Some advantages of the MIDI Patch Changer (MPC): 1) The 4" bar (switch) that I was able to wire into the MPC that is inches away from my controllers middle C. 2)I don't have to take my eyes off the music or my mind out of "performance space" into "where's that button space" and back again. I don't just change patches between tunes but also change patches 'inside tunes'. 3)A tactile 'click' when it happens. 4)All of AnotherScott's positive assessments above. As far as memorizing -- that may be a problem, but for me, memorization just happens as one develops tunes. It's like calling out #10 and everyone knows the tune from repetition. After a while it's not until you get to the page that you remember the song name. Not quite that bad, but I do remember all the page numbers for most tunes in the bands that I played in that used music. 5) It's cooler (I think, maybe shamefully) than having an iPhone on stage. 6) Oh, and I forgot to mention, you can program a 'before send' and/or an 'after send' SysEx instruction per preset so if your do'in "Scotch 'n Water" and have a MIDI waitress -- your drink can be ready by the time the tune's over. Ba dum boom!

I agree the multiple units are a drag. Both are semi-affixed to my controller and stay there from gig to gig.

those who can count and

those who can't.

Archived