Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I Pity The Fool

Eric Iverson

Last night I was sitting on a bench in my neighborhood and heard a young girl with headphones on singing, "I pity the fool, who falls in love with you...."

I remember there was a tune with those words on a Paul Butterfield album, "The Resurrection of Pigboy Crabshaw" - a great performance of a good song, well worth checking out. It's from 1967-8 or so.

I checked on YouTube and heard the original version by Bobby Blue Bland from 1961, which I never had heard before.

My question is: Since it's unlikely she was listening to the Butterfield or Bobby Bland version, is there a new version of that tune out that kids are listening to, or a different song with the same lyrics?

Can't find anything on the Net.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question: How do you KNOW it was "unlikely"? Stranger things have happened.

But it's not unusual( and no pun intended) that several DIFFERENT songs have the same title. Or even some of the same lyrics.

Could even be the same old song with a reworked chart. I certainly don't know. But, if you DO find out, let us know. :)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

To Whitefang: you are right, come to think of it - it's certainly POSSIBLE the girl had been exposed to Butterfield and/or Bland, especially if her parents like it. She might have recorded it on her I-pad. It's even possible that she was hearing it on the radio, on one of those hour a week radio programs dedicated to "roots music".

I don't think MOST of today's kids would be aware of them, though; although of course they've heard the Beatles and Stones and other big hits from the '60s.

Another tune with those lyrics? Again possible, since there are still people who make fools of their lovers, LOL.

To Scott: I think Elvin Bishop played some really interesting stuff on that album and "In My Own Dream." It stands the test of time really well, IMHO.

Her's the list if you just type the title w/no artist

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=i+pity+the+fool

there's aMr T version, Bowie, Tedeschi Trucks Band, Ann Peebles, someone/thing called Hermitcraft Modsauce, BBK, Robert Cray & Shemekia Copland ...& several more pages of possibilities.

Was there a clue as far as the style she seemed to be featuring ? Could you ask her where sha heard it ?

d=halfnote

Yeah, smart money says Fu- I mean, that it was one or another version of this song by Cee Lo Green:

(Love the backup-vocals on this one... !)

______ [video:youtube]

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived