Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

4, 5, and 6 string bass

DocPate

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have found that is does not matter: after fifteen minutes, I play as many strings as my fingers find on the neck. I have found all of the basses I tried familiar, even a 7 string bass.

But when I am thinking notes, I want to see four strings: my eyes always see an F# on the second fret of the closest string.

Second, many strings help staying in position. Often it is not the best thing, as there is a lot of timbre variation playing up the neck, or close to the body and a D at the tenth fret is not exactly like a D at the fifth or an open D.

Economy of movement is a good thing, but also sound consciousness is a good thing. Using the fifth string has a lot of impact, not just for those three notes you get descending to B, but also for everything you can play on it in upper positions.

All in all, I stick with my four strings and practice a little bit more shifting, e.g. scales and arpeggios in two octaves.

-- Michele Costabile (http://proxybar.net)

To quote that Zen philosopher-poet Tom Hamilton: I used to think five-string basses were for eggheads. Now I think six-string basses are for eggheads.

I generally prefer fives for every day -- I have smaller hands, so it's often easier for me to play things across the fingerboard than up and down, and I like the extended range.

OTOH, in some cases nothing will do except my '76 Fender Jazz.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

I learned on 4 string basses. Many of my "idols" play 4 string basses. You can do a lot with a 4 string bass.

I play 5 string basses. They can do everything a 4 can and a little more - lower range, more fingering options. I find it especially useful at church where we transpose a lot and pay a lot of things in D. I don't find it any more difficult to mute a 5 vs a 4 sting.

I could play a 4 and be just fine. I would "rethink" some songs and patterns, and play more high D's than low. It would be fine. I have debated doing just that.

But then I pick up my Roscoe and the neck is so amazing and the tone is so amazing I forget about finding a 4 string...for a while.

I play 6 string nearly all the time (99%). I was fascinated by the range at the start and in many ways I find it easier to play than a 4 as the notes just fall under your fingers. Different strings to give you a different timbre to a note though so depending on the song and performance I may play alot on 1 string.

I also found it easier when writing with a guitar player who like drop D tuning to write lines that are more complementary that dropping down and riffing along. You don't have to think different scale patterns. The chordal options are nice also when you play in a 3 piece band. Plus even today almost 14 years after I made the move I still get asked about it, it tweaks peoples curiosity which is nice!

I do wish that I had a need for a C string

Chords. Play a few chords. It'll become habit forming and you'll never play a non-C-string bass again. Oar knot.

Limited experience with the low B. I hated it, and then restrung my first 5-er with a High C to play the tune "Scissors and Glue" in the big band...it has a unison part with the 'bones that was way easier to play with a high C.

I was playing mostly jazz at the time, and the small amp I had for that gig just sounded like a fart with the low B. Perhaps it'd work with the gear and music I play now, but I'm married to the instruments I have and don't wish to start the collection from scratch.

Meetings with some cats I've a Lot of respect for this month for a possible band. I'll see how it goes, and perhaps suggest tuning down a full or half step for this effort. Low D's sing better than B, and most singers appreciate the change. Fingers crossed.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Yamaha makes a sixer like that and is the John Patitucci model.

I'd like to string a 4-string with the bottom 4 from a 5-string set. Tim from RATM has done that for years.

Also, here's some pretty:

CZhJzRGVAAANUPL.jpg

think it's an Ibanez, but not sure.

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Well, if we see the "electric bass guitar" as a electrifized, guitarized version of an upright bass, then 4 strings makes plenty of sense. If we see the instrument as a bassified version of the electric guitar, then 6 strings makes sense. Anthony Jackson calls it the "contrabass guitar" and although having demonstrated being able to do quite lovely things on the 4-string version, has found his home with a 6-string instrument.

The decision on how many strings to play and under what circumstances and why belongs to each player. And, for that matter, how he or she decides to tune those 4, 5, 6, or more strings!

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Archived