Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Killer concert on PBS tonite

Fred_C

Hey Gents,

Tonight at 9:00 est on PBS.

Willie Nelson receives The Gershwin Prize for Popular Song

Performances by:

Neil Young

Paul Simon

Edie Brickell

Allison Krause

et. al.

Sounds like a cool concert.

If you play cool, you are cool.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the tip, my local PBS station plays ACL on Staurday, and on Sunday, but at 2 AM on both days!

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

AKK!

Had a prior commitment and no spare tape with space for recording it( and I don't do the DVR thing), so....

BUMMER!

Willie's earned it. He's MUCH more than the braided, beat-up guitar playing, pot smoking persona he's become for the last 30 years or so.

Since I found out HE was the one who penned "Crazy", long a favorite of mine( and LONG before it's resurgence in popularity since "Coal Miner's Daughter" although I'll say Beverly D'Angelo does do it justice!), and.....

Since my daughters LOVED that movie, and we bought them the soundtrack LP, I sat down and tried to pick out the chord structure to the song, and discoveed there were chords(and I STILL don't know the correct designations)in there I've NEVER played before, I was impressed! It was THEN(1981) that I discovered Willie wrote it, and he was far more than just another country singer.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I never paid much attention to Willy until I moved to Austin TX for a year or so. I guess it was around the early 80's or so. Gawd the locals thought he was God or something, so I started to listen to his stuff, and see things he was saying on the music rags, and I began to really appreciate him and his musical works. I came away from Austin with a huge respect for the 'erbal American. And if it wasn't for Willy I would still be "burning and not vaping" Willy hipped me to vaping on the Larry King show. So I have to thank him for a few things, his music, his character, and my lungs love Willy a big bunch....... http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/dance2.gifhttp://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/dance3.gifhttp://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/dirol.gif

I wrote this tune about when I met my present wife. I first met her in Southern California and then again in San Antonio Texas. I did the lyrics in South Jersey some years after we got together, and the chord progression at Austin City Park (Texas) I got to the park camping one week after Willy Nelson and Kris Kristofferson did some filming of The Songwriter movie there. As a thank you gift, Kris and Willy sent a heaping pickup truck full of beer and whiskey to the local campers and staff that were camping/working there (True Story).

Right away when the campers saw my New Jersey license plates they started calling me Yankee, and hittin me with all kinds of jovial witticisms in a good natured way. I am pretty quick on the uptake so all I did was laugh and joke back for a few days before they let up on me a bit. It was a real fun experience those few weeks at Austin City Park

My harpoon man and I harmonize on Blue Eyes Cry'en In The Rain which my mom always makes us sing for her. I learned/copied this song which was Willie's #1 hit back in 1975 when I purchased one of my favorite record albums Red Headed Stranger. One of the few hits he didn't write. It was written by Fred Rose.

I think Willie made a huge mistake writing Crazy for Patsy Cline. His cover could never eclipse Patsy's original. It reminds me of Route 66 everyone knows by Bobby Troup written in 1946. But, it was recorded 1st by Nat King Cole so Bobby's version was technically a cover LOL!

At any rate, I love both of these songs and writers/perfomers and send major Congrats to Willie! No one deserves it more IMHO... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Archived