Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PC2X power supply repair

Justin Havu

Need to repair the AC cord side of the line lump adapter for my PC2X. The cord has a deep split near where it meets the box. Not fun, as I need the PC2X for a gig tomorrow night.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a pic of the split wire next to the power supply. I guess I could pry open the power supply and see if I can resolder the AC cord, but I'd have to shorten it by a couple inches, and I really don't want to crack open a power supply unless there's a way I can get it back together without using duct tape!

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k193/justinhavu/IMG_20151205_0851361.jpg

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

I hope the duct tape you plan to use isn't near the soldered wires. Duct tape is not an insulator. It would be equivalent to leaving the soldered wires exposed. Use electrical tape.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

That's what I used. First thing I did was flux both ends of the wire, apply solder to one end, then heat that solder and hold the connection tight, then wrapped the whole thing in electrical tape. Couldn't get the power supply open at all, so thankfully, no duct tape--I'm above that!

Although, I think an iron with a smaller tip than the one I have would've made the job easier.

Hardware

Software

Finding another power supply at this point in time would be difficult. I have a PC2 and PC2X. The power supply produces two different voltages (don't remember exact values at moment) and is definitely not easily replaceable by any generic.

You might want to get some shrink-wrap tubing and place over the area just to make it more resistant to damage.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I thought about that. In the pic above, the splice may be too close to the adapter to allow for adequate room for the tubing to effectively do its job. That'd be my only concern, at least.

BTW, just checked the power supply. Voltage is 9VDC and 14VAC. Interesting. I guess along with the lack of a conventional barrel plug on the keyboard, that's one way for a manufacturer to make sure consumers only use the appropriate power supply!

Hardware

Software

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I can't get it open. I'm pretty good with a soldering iron, but haven't quite figured out how to get to the inside of the power supply. How were you able to get it open, and was it easy to reassemble?

Hardware

Software

Hardware

Software

I don't remember for sure, but aren't there four holes / screws? The screws might have been covered with glue or some kind of resin? I remember that it looked like a previous owner struggled to open it.

Wow, the cost of that power supply, considering currency exchange, shipping, etc, would be almost what I sold my PC2 for last year.

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."

My homemade instruments

I don't remember for sure, but aren't there four holes / screws? The screws might have been covered with glue or some kind of resin?

There are four small feet.

Check to see if there are screws under the feet.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

If you're stuck give me a shout. I know I have a few non-working PC2 power supplies here but I might have one that's still functioning.

I'm in Waltham MA, not super close but not terribly far. If I find one that works and you can make it down here it's yours. :)

I don't remember for sure, but aren't there four holes / screws? The screws might have been covered with glue or some kind of resin?

There are four small feet.

Check to see if there are screws under the feet.

No screws. Just plastic.

Hardware

Software

If you're stuck give me a shout. I know I have a few non-working PC2 power supplies here but I might have one that's still functioning.

I'm in Waltham MA, not super close but not terribly far. If I find one that works and you can make it down here it's yours. :)

Let me know for sure if you do have one. If so, the closest I'd be able to get is Boston's North Station via the train, as I can't drive due to lack of license, plus I can't see well enough to be able to drive.

Hardware

Software

Archived