Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond 44 HP Melodion question

whurly

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't play that one, but I regularly use a (gorgeous-sounding) wooden melodica. As a side note, it pisses me off that all "my" instruments keep getting taken over by the hipsters. Anyway...

It is very hard to capture good pick-up/contact mic sound from a melodica. Since structurally it's mostly "key," and since sound from the reeds is dispersed through multiple holes, many of the logical pick-up points have an unattractive click-to-tone ratio. The very best option, like a harmonica, is an external mic at the sound holes.

In my experience, the cleanest spots for a pick-up are the ends. I don't know where Hammond attaches theirs, but I attach mine just below the mouthpiece on the top end, though I've used the opposite end as well. Either way, while attaching it here avoids the key click, it also means getting slightly less direct sound off the reeds. This can mean weak signal/low output.

So in short (too late), yes, I would guess it's normal. But it's worth it for the nice clean sound it captures.

Anyway, I just gain mine up at my mixer and turn the volume down when I'm not using it. I love that cheesy little brick of an instrument. It sounds like an accordion riding a Sybian.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to use it with a couple of guitar pedals and I find it hard to get the amplified sound louder than the acoustic sound (in my bedroom anyway).

PS - Interesting analogy on the sound there!

I'm a melodica player. I'd be interested in anything you find out about amplifying it. There are several videos on utoob (search on Hammond 44 or Melodion or melodica) but you're right - they seem to have very low output even when amped. That just won't work for me in a blues rock context. I've played my melodica in acoustic settings and singalongs but there's no way it would work in an electrified band.

MOI, is that wood melodica a Mylodica? What kind of pickup do you use?

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I did use it on quite a big gig. Unfortunately my fold was blown and I had to rely on the acoustic sound so I didn't bother using a delay.

I could tell it was coming out strongly front of house but every time I moved forward to hear it better I got feedback. Nonetheless I did get a lot of compliments from the audience.

I'll try a few more options for boosting the signal and report back.

I just tried it with a Fishman Pro EQ Platinum Acoustic Preamp and it worked beautifully.

Without the Fishman i could hardly hear the amped sound from a small powered speaker. With the Fishman it came out loud and clear.

BTW, I used a chorus, octave and echo and it sounded great.

MOI, is that wood melodica a Mylodica? What kind of pickup do you use?

It is. I know there's some question about whether the wood casing is worth it, but to my ear, it really is. It's mellow and smooth. (Maybe I'd find the Suzuki or whatever is inside it better and am just fooled by the aesthetics, but all the better then: at least that means the aesthetics are worth it!)

I use a Barcus Berry pick-up mounted just below the mouthpiece. I attach it with blutak there and I also attach the female adapter end to the edge of the casing, so that when I move, it doesn't pull off or make contact noise. I attached some cork feet to the bottom, larger than the handle, so I can set it up like a keyboard and even mic the bottom if I want. I mostly set it down somewhere and use the hose rather than the mouthpiece, just because I can find melodica a bit keytarish otherwise in terms of stage optics.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I find the output of the standard model quite hot, and the newer version is supposed to be way louder due to different reeds.

Or are you talking about the ELECTRONIC output (which I never use)?

If you're having trouble getting volume (acoustically; maybe electronically as well), you are probably working too hard. My bandleader had the same issue with his similar Suzuki, and is still working on breathing, using my advice and some YouTube clips. I am able to play for eons without taking a breath.

If you swim, apply similar technique to the gradual release of air, and shape your mouth to focus the air release for maximum efficiency, as on a flute.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Isn't the Hammond Melodion really expensive? Like about $400 or $500?

I have an ancient Suzuki Melodion that I paid ~ $35 for circa 1975. Has to be mic'd because of the key clicking noise. I noticed that Sam Ash had a bunch of new Melodions that were still pretty cheap, well under $100.

So, if Hammond didn't solve the clicking problem, what makes it worth so much $$$.

On another note, aren't we all aging hipsters?

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

If you swim, apply similar technique to the gradual release of air, and shape your mouth to focus the air release for maximum efficiency, as on a flute.
Or use similar technique as trained singers or horn players - it's called breathing from your diaphragm, although that's not technically correct. I'm a sax player. I can hold a note on tenor sax for a long time (takes a LOT of air) by breathing from deep below, using abdomen muscles, not pushing airstream from the top of your lungs. Same is true for melodica. It takes very little breath to hold a note for a long time, if you control it and support airstream from your abdomen.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I figured most non-wind players and non-singers would understand the swimming analogy better. The amazing thing about melodica is that the tiniest amount of air goes so far.

My bandleader's Suzuki has annoyingly loud key click.

The earlier Hammond 44 (not the HP version) is clacky rather than clicky. I guess there wasn't room to insert a pad below the keys as on the organs. It's completely inaudible while playing though -- even when blowing at light volume.

Somehow, the higher-pitched noise of the Suzuki keys doesn't get masked by the note range of the instrument itself (it also has a narrower range).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I thought one of the reasons the HP was released, was that it was supposed to be louder acoustically and had better pickup? Could be something wrong with the pickup / output jack.

I use the regular Hammond 44. When running it through my mixer I never run into problems with volume. Sometimes when I run direct to FOH (if im not using my full rig), a certain sound guy has trouble with the output. But, I think that's more on them than the melodica.

I do keep a boost on my pedal board for a little solo volume bump sometimes, and if I run into problems with sound guys. Check out: Catilinbread's Super Chili Picoso. Has up to +35 db transparent clean boost.

Oops, I made my swimming analogy too general; I specifically meant underwater swimming/snorkeling/etc. -- any activity where you have to hold your breath underwater and very slowly let it out.

Archived