Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

USB Hub recommendations ?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ed, were you going to use the hub with anything audio going through it? Cause that's a big no-no.

I use a little Macally hub for my Mac. It works fine with my printer, scanner and other accessories. But my US-428 does not like to be hooked to anything other than direct to the Mac.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

Ed, were you going to use the hub with anything audio going through it? Cause that's a big no-no.

I use a little Macally hub for my Mac. It works fine with my printer, scanner and other accessories. But my US-428 does not like to be hooked to anything other than direct to the Mac.

- Jeff

No, I just want it to extend my keyboard and so I can have x-tra ports for a digital camera and what-not. No audio planned through the port right now.

It's interesting though that your US-428 won't work. Would a powered hub make a difference ?

Originally posted by shikawkee:

It's interesting though that your US-428 won't work. Would a powered hub make a difference ?

The Macally is a powered hub.

I couldn't tell you the technical reason it doesn't wor, but I assume that since it's pretty difficult to get audio and MIDI over USB at the same time (lots of data), putting a hub in the mix is one more gap for the data to have to jump.

Anyway, as I'm sure my brothas from M-Audio or other companies who make USB audio products will tell you, the best way to assure good performance is to cononect smack dab into the computer's USB port...don't even use the ports on the keyboard (since they're a hub too).

But for non-audio devices, the Macally has never given me a problem. In fact (best of signs), I forgot my USB hub was even there until you referenced it for this thread.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Rim.:

To be safe, definitely go with a powered USB hub. Some USB devices will not work with non-powered USB hubs. I'm currently using a 4-port powered USB hub by Belkin on my XP machine and haven't had any problems with it.

I'm using a 4-port powered Belkin too, and I've never had a problem with it.

"Bass isn't just for breakfast anymore..."

http://www.mp3.com/Addix_Metzatricity

I use the Griffin Technology USB-Audio Hub . This USB hub actually does work well with audio devices:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/images/products/prod_usb-audio_hub.jpg

From their website:

"The Griffin 4-Port USB Audio Hub is the first Hub designed with Audio recording and playback in mind.

After extensive internal testing showed that most USB Hubs failed to support USB Audio devices, such as the iMic USB Audio Interface, we did additional research which led to our own solution for a Hub that provided full USB Audio capabilities. "

That's cool. I'd never heard of it before. It must be relatively new.

I wonder what they could have done to specifically improve the audio performance. It does seem like that's what this was specifically meant to address, though.

- Jeff

Archived