Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg 25 Key Micro USB? Opinions?

Lindaru

I was looking into maybe getting this one (if need be, I can haul it around on my lap in the car to wherever I am going to play/rehearse).

Korg MicroKEY25 zZounds

It also comes bundled with some software (EzDrummer Lite, M1 work station and more).

Given that we generally do EDM, alternative rock, hard rock and grunge, do you think this would be a good and reasonably priced set up for me?

Thanks, guys! It sucks being on a tight budget.

:)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use a similar AKAI MK24-something.

Two octaves, ideal as a hotel room keyboard when traveling for work. I have used it sometimes live as a second keyboard running some pads/synths/occasional organ or piano stabs, placed on my Nord Electro 3. Not bad. Limited action etc, but it can save the day if you don't want to haul around 2 keyboards. My Electro does 80% of the job and this little man covers the rest.

I think it will be helpful for EDM and hard rock, despite the fact that there are no knobs. But this is and always be a miscellaneous second keyboard for any genre. You will have a bigger board as well, right?

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I tried one at a store a couple of weeks ago. I found the action very good for a portable solution. I liked it a lot as a travel midi controller for practice on the road. It is nowhere close to the action of a real piano by miles, however, if you want to practice a song it is better than nothing. I am going to wait for the new MicroKey Air though. In my case I play piano and both the bluetooth connectivity and damper pedal connector are more than welcome additions to me. I can practice in my office during lunchtime at work.

Kawai MP7SE ::: Yamaha CK-61 ::: Novation Launchkey 61 ::: Roland CM-30 Speaker ::: Ipad Mini 5 with a lot of apps for live playing (Hammond B3-X, PianoTeq 8 iOS, Korg Module, Thumbjam, etc.)

Thanks. In summer, I will haul around the old girl as well (61 keys), but in winter and if I am just going to someone's house or party, I thought this might be a nice little thing and can leave the old girl at home.

Since I am the one who handles my own equipment, I worry about slipping on ice and falling with it. This would not be a worry as I can just pack it in a bag and have it on me without worrying about balancing the weight of the Roland.

In fact, it is snowing out here right now in McCall, Idaho, at 5,000 feet. Makes me start thinking about these things.

:eek:

Why not spend $10 more and get another octave and pitch and mod wheels?

http://image.babosarang.co.kr/product/detail/FGY/1110121827081883/_500.jpg

Dr. Lonnie Smith uses a few of the microKEYs on top of his B3. :cool:

12093679_1092366970775824_1437143417_n.jpg

Looks like he's working some magic dressed up like that and his hands doing some mystical stuff there. I approve. Very classy! Plus those keys...

BTW, I'm liking the two tier 61 microkeys idea.

Kawai MP7SE ::: Yamaha CK-61 ::: Novation Launchkey 61 ::: Roland CM-30 Speaker ::: Ipad Mini 5 with a lot of apps for live playing (Hammond B3-X, PianoTeq 8 iOS, Korg Module, Thumbjam, etc.)

I have the 37-key model. It's too long for a laptop bag but would certainly fit in an overhead compartment. I'm fine with the action but there is no jack for a sustain pedal so using this for piano parts might be problematic. The keys are bigger than the "toy" keyboard sizes almost the width of full-size synth action boards but much shorter. The toy-sized keys are on the "Nano" keys series (actually they're not really keys, just switches).

Thank you, Dana! Great suggestion!

I like that mojo the good Doctor Lonnie is doing, too. Inspiration for sure.

:thu:

I believe the answer came to me in a round about way. Spent a couple of hours looking things up on the internet (sort of chasing bread crumbs).

MicroKORG. Fingers crossed. They have one for $150 somewhere at auction.

:boing::D

Just be aware that if you use the first generation 37 key with an iOS device you'll need to use a usb powered hub to power it.......the new ones can self power. This doesn't apply to the 25 note models.....

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Thanks, Jake. This is a 37. I will be getting a new cable here pretty soon if I can get this particular board. It will also be running off of either a Windows 7 desk top or lap top. It also takes 6 AA batteries.

This one is missing the vocoder microphone which is fine with me since the microphone I have is better quality and will work with it.

Archived