Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OTish: Top Music Retailers Sales Revenue List

DulceLabs.com

This was posted in my Synthesizers FB Group and I'm sharing here for those that are interested in this sort of thing. I am assuming that Musician's Friend is rolled into the GC sales totals.

http://oi61.tinypic.com/15x1kd3.jpg

Note this is gross revenue, I think a chart showing net would tell a very different story. :)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Note this is gross revenue, I think a chart showing net would tell a very different story. :)

This doesn't surprise me. Sweetwater Sound is trending way up, while Sam Ash Music Corp. probably won't be around for too much longer. It'll come down to what it already is: go check out the keyboard at Guitar Center, then buy it from Sweetwater.

Next.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Retailer 1 -- Guitar Center, Inc: $2,239,000,000

Retailers 2 through 10 combined: $1,416,000,000

If those figures are correct I'm quite surprised.

I'm guessing Scott's assumption that Musician's Friend's numbers are in there with the GC figure is correct, along with GC's other holdings (i.e. Woodwind and Brasswind, Zzounds, etc).

On top of guitarcenter.com, GC has something like 250+ brick and mortar stores - waaaaaay more than retailers 2-10 combined and then some - so that number isn't really that hard to understand.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

This doesn't surprise me. Sweetwater Sound is trending way up, while Sam Ash Music Corp. probably won't be around for too much longer. It'll come down to what it already is: go check out the keyboard at Guitar Center, then buy it from Sweetwater.

Next.

And I like Sweetwater as much as the next technoid. But in the interest of fairness, GC Pro just did a fantastic job for me - working through an involved quote for two, church PA systems; we just completed an order for the gear and contracted installation.

Now if only the overall GC keyboard retail staff were as well-trained and experienced as GC Pro. But that hasn't appeared to be a high priority for the holding company, whomever it is at the moment..

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Kraft is on an uptick. That is nice. They always took care of me.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Retailer 1 -- Guitar Center, Inc: $2,239,000,000

Retailers 2 through 10 combined: $1,416,000,000

If those figures are correct I'm quite surprised.

I'm guessing Scott's assumption that Musician's Friend's numbers are in there with the GC figure is correct, along with GC's other holdings (i.e. Woodwind and Brasswind, Zzounds, etc).

On top of guitarcenter.com, GC has something like 250+ brick and mortar stores - waaaaaay more than retailers 2-10 combined and then some - so that number isn't really that hard to understand.

dB

I wonder how big the Woodwind and Brasswind piece is of the gross. Two children of mine play music at the University level. One play Euphonium the other Bari Sax ........... keyboards are effing cheap. Nord Stage 2 pffft! Please.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Interesting to note that Chicago Music Exchange has a big uptick (although still a small player). I have found myself using Reverb a lot more lately, and I know they are behind that web site. So much better of a user experience than eBay.....

dB

zZounds is not part of GC, they're part of American Musical Supply. In addition to the ones you listed there is also Music & Arts and Music123.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

From Wikipedia:

Guitar Center's sister companies/subsidiaries incorporate Music & Arts, Musician's Friend, GuitarCenter.com, LMI, Giardinelli, Musician.com, Private Reserve Guitars, Woodwind and Brasswind, Music 123, and Harmony Central.

That list doesn't surprise me at all.

As a friend in the biz told me. It's all about sticks, pics, straps. Cheap acoustic guitars too.

That's the profit center.

With the bigger ticket items, especially keyboards,

there is just too little margin and the little guys can't buy large quota so they make less

after getting hammered by price matching the Internet.

You would think with their resources we would see more keyboards at Guitar Center.

But in the end it's all about retail so follow the money.

Guitar Center is the only brick and mortar left in a lot of areas.

And they are usually busy.

People might go in kicking the tires on something expensive with the full intent of

getting it on the internet, but they always leave with something.

John

Edited for clarity

zZounds is not part of GC, they're part of American Musical Supply. In addition to the ones you listed there is also Music & Arts and Music123.

Thanks for the clarification!

I can never keep zZounds and Music123 straight - don't do much biz with either. :idk:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

From Wikipedia:

Guitar Center's sister companies/subsidiaries incorporate Music & Arts, Musician's Friend, GuitarCenter.com, LMI, Giardinelli, Musician.com, Private Reserve Guitars, Woodwind and Brasswind, Music 123, and Harmony Central.

Someone should edit that listHarmony Central is owned by Gibson now.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

GC never has anything I want to try.

Same here. Our local GC dropped Roland a few years ago and now they only stock one or two Korg keyboards. Of course they always have the Motif XF and MOXF in stock... and plenty of (yawn) controllers.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Archived