Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Getting GAS for a Korg SV-1 for a bottom board for gigging

TTOR

The price point of the SV-1 was aggressive. But at the same time they were offering this beautiful retro design and UI they opted not to give it their best sounds... they could have done it for just over $2k and given it the electric piano and organ engines and a few vintage fx from the Kronos. The rest could have been run of the mill ROMpler stuff.

The SV-1 preceeded the Kronos, so Korg couldn't have given it Kronos sounds. At the time of its release, the SV-1 *did* have Korg's best AP and EP sounds.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Re: SV-1 vs PX5S....having the Kronos negates the need for all the extra sounds. But for some reason, the SV1 EP's are better than the Kronos.

Yup. One of the main reasons I sold the Kronos.

I've A/B'd the SV-1 and Kronos and the SV-1's Rhodes sample doesn't compare to the EP-1 engine in the Kronos. Maybe you prefer the sound of the SV-1 sample, but the technology is inferior, as evidenced by the audible sample zones. And now that the SV-1 is six years old, even Casio offers better Rhodes sounds.

Re: SV-1 vs PX5S....having the Kronos negates the need for all the extra sounds. But for some reason, the SV1 EP's are better than the Kronos. I don't know why - you'd think the Kronos would be the same or better. But as a weighted lower controller, if you can integrate it in such a way that it triggers other sounds besides those EP's/AP's on the Kronos, that would be a sweet rig.

The SV1 has a convenient front panel "local off" button for when you only want to trigger an external sound. Unfortunately, unless I missed something, there is no equally convenient way to stop it from transmitting MIDI when you don't want to control an external sound. (Holding down the "function" button while hitting the "local off" button might have been a nice way to do that.)

As long as it's set to something otherr than the Kronos global channel, it just triggers whatever parts of the combo are assigned to that channel. If you don't want the Kronos to play, don't assign that channel to any of the parts in that combi.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

they could have done it for just over $2k and given it the electric piano and organ engines and a few vintage fx from the Kronos. The rest could have been run of the mill ROMpler stuff.

At the time the SV1 came out, the CX3 by itself cost about as much as the SV1 by itself. (And the Kronos EPs did not exist.)

The thing about the EPs is that not everyone necessarily even agrees that the Kronos EPs are better, as you can see in this thread. They are different, with certain technical advantages for sure, but sound is a funny thing...

At any rate, the Kronos concept is multiple sound engines on a PC/Linux foundation. I'm not sure that a Kronos with 3 of the 9 engines as you're suggesting (rompler, EP1, CX3) would be a lot less expensive to make than a Kronos. And in an updated SV1, wouldn't you also want the better acoustic piano engine as well?

I'm not saying this isn't a cool idea for a board... I'm sure there are people who would like the Kronos piano/organ/EP/rompler in a more SV1-like (Nord-like, if you will) operational package. I just wouldn't assume it would be a whole lot cheaper than a Kronos.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The SV1 has a convenient front panel "local off" button for when you only want to trigger an external sound. Unfortunately, unless I missed something, there is no equally convenient way to stop it from transmitting MIDI when you don't want to control an external sound. (Holding down the "function" button while hitting the "local off" button might have been a nice way to do that.)

As long as it's set to something otherr than the Kronos global channel, it just triggers whatever parts of the combo are assigned to that channel. If you don't want the Kronos to play, don't assign that channel to any of the parts in that combi.

Yes, but that means changing the patch on your Kronos whenever you do or don't want the SV1 to be triggering it, which I think is a bit clumsy (especially if you don't necessarily simultaneously need to change the patch you're playing on the Kronos itself). And if your source for "other" SV1 sounds isn't a Kronos (some other top tier board perhaps, or maybe an iPad running Korg Module or whatever), it may be even more awkward to do this (or impossible).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I guess you and I work songs differently. I set up a combi for the song with everything laid out so I don't have to change patches mid-song.....which is primarily why I use a 2 tier setup.

If I were to use a Kronos/SV1 rig, I would plug each one's in into the other's out, use Kronos set

It's mode and have combos for each song that change SV1 patches as well as set up local sounds and sounds for the SV1 to trigger. I would route the SV1 audio outs into Kronos in and have audio routing set up per combi to mix in the sv1 or not, possibly using Kronos effects.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I guess you and I work songs differently. I set up a combi for the song with everything laid out

Yeah, I rarely do that.

If I were to use a Kronos/SV1 rig, I would plug each one's in into the other's out, use Kronos set

It's mode and have combos for each song that change SV1 patches as well as set up local sounds and sounds for the SV1 to trigger.

Yes, I could see that being a good way to go. Doing all your multi-board patch changing from just one of your boards--or an external device like an iPad--can work well.

If I could chime in...I find the SV1 very inspirational to sit down and just "play". I like the feel, the sound and the ergonomics. Of course, there is something new every day that will be "more realistic or authentic" but really, what is the point? This just keeps you in the loop of splitting hairs for an incrementally "better" sound, if that really exists.

The SV1 is paid for, I know it and I have more important things to do...like practice and compose.

Just my .02

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

If I could chime in...I find the SV1 very inspirational to sit down and just "play". I like the feel, the sound and the ergonomics. Of course, there is something new every day that will be "more realistic or authentic" but really, what is the point? This just keeps you in the loop of splitting hairs for an incrementally "better" sound, if that really exists.

The SV1 is paid for, I know it and I have more important things to do...like practice and compose.

Just my .02

:2thu:

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Back in the early eighties I had a yamaha CP25. I couldn't afford a cp70, and a rhodes or wurly was out of the budget too. I loved the action on that thing. The sound was different, very primitive. I got out of music for about 15 years, and the only instruments I kept were my clav and an MS20. When I got back into it I found that I could get all the instruments I dreamed about owning back then cheap on craigslist. I got my old Lambda back, tried a yamaha SK30, got a ton of roland stuff, finally got my wurly and rhodes, as well as a slew of hammonds and leslies. Except for the rhodes, wurlies, and hammonds all those synths I dreamed about and finally got were a huge letdown. I sold them all. But I could never find a CP25. Finally one day one comes up. I got it for 150$ and couldn't wait to go home and try it. I hooked it up, and guess what? It still had that feel I loved, and to this day it's the keyboard I enjoy playing most when it comes to a weighted keyboard. I took it to a jam once, had a ball! But it's heavy, and basically has one sound that's enjoyable. It stays here now, and I enjoy it. Can't see ever selling it. Bottom line, you like what you like. So analogman, I'm with you all the way.
HammondCV,M3,L101,C6,SK1,xk5,Farfisa Combo Compact,RolandVR09,JX8P,vk09,Sound Canvas,CrumarTraveler1,Rhodes suitcase73,Wurly200,HohnerD6,KorgMS20,CasioCZ-101,Yamaha CP25,TX7,mx61,CasioCZ-101,PX110

I guess you and I work songs differently. I set up a combi for the song with everything laid out so I don't have to change patches mid-song.....which is primarily why I use a 2 tier setup.

It's mode and have combos for each song that change SV1 patches as well as set up local sounds and sounds for the SV1 to trigger. I would route the SV1 audio outs into Kronos in and have audio routing set up per combi to mix in the sv1 or not, possibly using Kronos effects.

That's how I am setup. My MOXF6 is my master. Whether I'm using my FA08 or my PX5S, the MOXF calls the patches for the whole rig via master mode.

I even use the MOXF to call the patches in Mainstage when using it.

My FA08 or PX5S L+R Outs route to the MOXF6 L+R INS. The boards are MIDI'd together. Actually a very simple setup, and the board never trigger the MOXF unless I want them too, based on the Master I pull up.

I would do the same if I used an SV1

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Archived