Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil Forte SE

Dana.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question re synth engine; I know the Forte SE has significantly less memory than the Forte so it doesn't have nearly half of the sounds.

I'm looking to get a Forte 7, but stores here only have a Forte SE on display. One of the big things for me is the warmth of the synth engine. If I test some of the synth sounds in the VA synth engine on the Forte SE, will this give me a good idea of what the Forte 7 synth sounds like, or will it sound significantly different?

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Question re synth engine; I know the Forte SE has significantly less memory than the Forte so it doesn't have nearly half of the sounds.

I'm looking to get a Forte 7, but stores here only have a Forte SE on display. One of the big things for me is the warmth of the synth engine. If I test some of the synth sounds in the VA synth engine on the Forte SE, will this give me a good idea of what the Forte 7 synth sounds like, or will it sound significantly different?

The VAST synth engine is identical in the Forte and Forte SE. Basically, it's pretty much the same VAST engine as in the PC3 and Artis, if I got this right.

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

Picking up from what Tom said, I believe the VA synth engines are identical. The fact that the Forte SE has less memory should have no impact whatsoever on the synth sounds, because the memory (or specifically in this case, the 16 GB vs 2 GB of flashplay) is used for samples, and the VA synth engine does not use samples. So the differences in the sonic capabilities of the Forte vs the Forte SE would be in some of the sampled instruments (pianos, etc.), rather than in the VA synth sounds. (I believe the sample set where the Forte would exceed the Forte SE would be drawn specifically from among its own latest generation of sounds, which are pianos, EPs, clav, harpsichord, orchestral percussion, celeste, glockenspiel, chimes, bells and crotales.)

So yes, I think the VA synth engine on the Forte SE will give you a good idea of what the Forte 7 synth sounds like. That said, that doesn't mean that all the actual factory-supplied synth sounds between the two are the same. Even if the Forte SE is able to produce every synth sound that is in the Forte, that doesn't mean Kurz necessarily included every Forte factory-supplied synth program among the Forte SE's factory-supplied programs. The Forte SE actually has more factory programs than the Forte (512 vs. 322), so I think it is likely that all the Forte's VA synth-engine presets are in the Forte SE, but I don't know it for a fact. Maybe DW knows, or maybe you could download and compare the Program lists for both instruments.

So short version... AFAIK, the synth engines are the same (and should sound equally warm, to address your particular concern), but you'd have to do some more research to confirm that any particular synth preset in one is in the other.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 3 months later...
So anybody here own one or used one extensively? I've seen one for a good price and wonder if it would be a good fit for me.

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

• 2 years later...

Zombie Thread Alert

So I have one on order from Ft. Wayne, and while studying the User Manual in advance as is my habit I came across an interesting item.

The Midi Implementation Guide (page A-1) has O's on both Channel Aftertouch and Keys Aftertouch, and for BOTH Transmitted and Received! Forte SE Musician's Guide

I fear this is a typo? Does the SE really have poly-aftertouch? Anybody know? Dave W.?

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage4, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

appears that it does....

SPECS

All specifications subject to change without notice.

Keyboard: 88 note fully-weighted hammer-action with velocity and aftertouch sensitive keys (Fatar TP/100LR)

Display: 240Ã64 pixel monochrome LCD with front-panel contrast adjust

Polyphony: 128 Voice Polyphony, dynamically allocated

Multitimbral: 16 parts (one per MIDI channel)

Architecture: Dynamic VAST: Powerful synthesis engine, with user programmable DSP algs and routing. More DSP power than even our K Series instruments.

VA1 Inside: anti-aliasing, power-shaped oscillators and DSP processing from Kurzweil"s VA1 concept synth, capable of delivering authentic analog emulations as well as incredibly complex new sounds.

Cascade Mode: lets the user route one layer through the DSP of any other layer within a program â up to 32 consecutive layers deep!

Quick Split/Layer: Easy access with adjustable relative volume (up to 8 zones)

Sample Flash Memory: 188 MB of re-loadable, non-volatile, user flash memory

Factory Programs: 512

User Programs: 1024

Factory Multis: 182 â featuring up to 8 independent zones

User Multis: 1024

Favorites: 10

General MIDI: No

Kurzweil String Resonance: Yes

Master EQ Section: Front-panel 3-band EQ with sweepable mid and on/off switch

Effects: Hundreds of complex effect chains, incorporated into programs featuring our award winning effects â reverbs, delays, chorus, flange, phaser, EQs, distortions, rotary speaker simulators, compressors, and more

â32 total FX units

Controllers: 1 pitch wheel

1 modulation wheel

9 front panel sliders

9 switches (assignable/zone mutes/KB3 control)

1 variation switch

1 Arp switch

2 transpose switches

*2 switch pedal inputs (1 switch/sustain pedal is included)

1 continuous control pedal inputs

monopressure (aftertouch)(*supports dual switch and half-damper for pianos / dual & half-damper pedals sold separately)

Sequencer: 16 Tracks; 960 PPQ resolution and MMC support. Song editing functions include both event and track-based tools like quantize, swing, remap, controller scaling and more. Controller chasing and a global 'set song length' functions are also featured.

Arpeggiators: 1-per Program, 8-per Multi

Analog Outputs: ⢠Two 1/4Ⳡbalanced TRS analog (24-bit DACs)

⢠+21dBu maximum output

⢠50Ω balanced source impedance

Audio Inputs: One stereo 1/8â³ back-panel input (with FX) for connecting your favorite MP3 player or other audio source for accompaniment playback

Headphones: ⢠1 back-panel 1/4Ⳡheadphone output

⢠130mW into 32 ohm headphones

MIDI: In, Out

USB: ⢠Two USB ports (one A port / one B port)

⢠Complete MIDI functionality over USB

⢠User program/multi file transfer to/from PC/Mac/Flash Drive

⢠Operating System updates from PC/Mac/Flash Drive

Software Editors: External editors for Mac OS X, Windows PC and iOS devices

FREE OS Updates: OS updates over USB and/or Flash Drive

Included Accessories: Power cable, Switch pedal, USB cable, (4) self adhesive feet

Height: (5.2â³) (13.2cm)

Depth: (15.2â³) (38.6cm)

Length: (48.9â³) (124.2cm)

Weight: (40.8 lb.) (18.5 kg)

Power: Internal Power Supply, free voltage 100-265VAC 50/60Hz, 10W max

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

appears that it does....

My apologies Dave, but... does what exactly?

I was pretty sure the SE supports aftertouch - and typically "aftertouch" referrs to Channel (mono) Aftertouch. I was trying to figure out why the Implementation Chart says it also supports polyphonic (key) aftertouch.

I was curious regarding the actual Midi Implementation Chart found at the end of the User Manual (linked above). The convention for whether a device supports a MIDI feature or does not support it is marked by X's or O's.

X means it does not support the feature.

O means that it does support the feature.

Under "Aftertouch" both Keys (polyphonic aftertouch) and Channel (monophonic aftertouch) have O's on them, seeming to indicate that the instrument can both transmit and receive poly-aftertouch.

It could be that the transmission of poly-aftertouch is limited to just the SONG mode playback - assuming that the midi track has those messages embedded in the stream.

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage4, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

appears that it does....

My apologies Dave, but... does what exactly?

I was pretty sure the SE supports aftertouch - and typically "aftertouch" referrs to Channel (mono) Aftertouch. I was trying to figure out why the Implementation Chart says it also supports polyphonic (key) aftertouch.

I was curious regarding the actual Midi Implementation Chart found at the end of the User Manual (linked above). The convention for whether a device supports a MIDI feature of does not support it is marked by X's or O's.

X means it does not support the feature.

O means that it does support the feature.

Under "Aftertouch" both Keys (polyphonic aftertouch) and Channel (monophonic aftertouch) have O's on them, seeming to indicate that the instrument can both transmit and receive poly-aftertouch.

It could be that the transmission of poly-aftertouch is limited to just the SONG mode playback - assuming that the midi track has those messages embedded in the stream.

~ vonnor

the answer is no. Only monophonic (channel) aftertouch. No polyphonic aftertouch. the only kurz board I know that has polyphonic aftertouch is the MIDIBOARD.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band