Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Time to retire my old friend

Fred_C

Gents,

I am very sad. I may need to retire my Epiphone Sheraton. She is very ill and it might not be cost effective to repair.

The instrument needs new electronics. In addition, there is a lot of fretboard wear. The board is so worn that it should be replaced entirely.

The guitar is twenty years old. It only cost under $700 including case, brand new. I think the necessary repairs would exceed the value.

She has served me well and I am deeply saddened by the prospect of retiring her.

If you play cool, you are cool.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forget retail value. If you love the guitar, it's a worthy investment to fix 'er up.

I spent more on my Ibey than she's worth just on the neck, having a luthier fix it the first time, then having to buy a replacement neck before I wised up and got an Ultimate stand.

Forget retail value. If you love the guitar, it's a worthy investment to fix 'er up.

I spent more on my Ibey than she's worth just on the neck, having a luthier fix it the first time, then having to buy a replacement neck before I wised up and got an Ultimate stand.

Griff,

I would agree, if my financial position were stronger. I am living on Social Security and a small part time job. I will be paying for my new Heritage over the next 20 months. I just can't swing another $5-600 repair.

Did you get an estimate on the repairs?

Maybe some of the others may know of a luthier who could give you a reasonable price and/or make some comfortable arrangement to get it done.

Beats a BULLET through it's head! (figuratively)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

You have the Heritage. It's ok to hang "Sherry" on the wall in a place of honor so you can remember the good times you had with her.

Then when you hit the lottery you can resurrect her again.

That's what I would do.

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

@SEH: thanks for the insightful solution. I feel very badly about putting "Sherry" aside, but I can't afford a costly repair for the foreseeable future. I just took my Peerless in for a setup and will setup the Heritage next week. That's. a hundred bucks right there that I have to spend.

Hope you can keep her Fred, but if not...$300 bucks off the price of that custom will make it even a sweeter deal...I'll bet you can get that much for her. Sometimes we just have to give up those old long term much loved friendships. I cry more over my old dogs that I have given up, than on any of my old guitars... :cry::cool:
Take care, Larryz

Larry,

I could no more get $300 for her than fly. She has been a hard working, gigging guitar and she looks it. She's tired and beat as well as having all sorts of functional problems. I may do as SEH recommends and hang her on the wall as a reminder of all the great music we've made together.

I'd hang it in a place of honor.

I remember seeing an interview of Andy Griffith when he could no longer play...he kept his guitars, though. Every once in a while, he'd reach out and just strum the strings,

In a way, it was like watching a southern gentleman with his old hound dog. No more hunting to be done, but precious memories to be shared.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Ok Brother Fred, I'll go along with the guys and say hang her up on the wall...Maybe you have a room set aside as a music room and/or a favorite spot where you like to practice every day. That would be a place of honor...take care Bro. :cool:
Take care, Larryz

HEY!

I saw this thing on one of those "pawn shop" shows I watch...

Some lady brought in what SHE claimed was Paul McCartney's bass, and with his signature on it.

Turned out it really wasn't. But how it relates to anything here is that she had it encased in a huge SHADOWBOX, looked to be about 5'x2' with the guitar fastened to the inside (and with what she claimed was other "genuine" Beatles signatures.

So, how about something like that? Yeah, I know you're just on SSI( And likely regretting NOT taking that factory job back in the day), but I don't think something like that would be too prohibitive cost wise, or perhaps you might know some handy fellow who could make one for you.

I mean, IF you're going to hang it on a wall, and it means that much to ya, then hang it in STYLE! :)

Whitefang

WF,

I'm not destitute. In addition to the SSI, I also have a part time job.

It is probably noteworthy that I have acquired THREE new guitars in the past 11 months.

I bought the Peerless last October for $1400. I purchased the Yamaha LS16 acoustic in April for $700 and I just spent approx. $2,000 on the Heritage. I've spent more than $4,000 in 11 months. I'm not broke, I'm just unwilling to spend any more on hardware, right now.

I have never wanted to work in a factory. Just not my taste in a working environment.

Shadow boxes are cool. We have a feathered Mardi Gras mask in one,

I was watching an interior design show many years ago, and the wife surprised her husband by having his guitars hung on the walls of his man-cave, with each one under a medium-wattage, dim-able light, framed by dark curtains.

I might not put up the curtains, but it sure as hell made those guitars look super important. Very impressive, day or night. A shrine to music, if you will.

Hmmm...

Sonic Temple? :D

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Well Fred, I mistakenly assumed things were hard for you due to YOUR bringing up the inability(or lack of desire) to spend money on repairs.

You also mentioned not wanting to shell out $500+ for said repairs. And I DD inquire if that figure was an assumption on your part or an actual quote from a repairman.

On further thought; If the guitar doesn't hold a strong emotional attachment to you, an investment of that type might serve to increase the price you may be able to SELL it to help defray the cost of the new axe.

But if you'd rather keep it, I thought that SHADOWBOX idea might be a good one.

BTW; as far as factory work goes, I imagine it depends on what kind of factory it is as to what the environment is. I spent nearly 30 years working in General Motors plants(tow different ones), and had no qualms about their environments. And it's served me well. Although I had to take a "medical retirement", which means a slightly lower pension than if I was able to hold out the extra two years until my FULL 30 years were served, My medical pension(which prohibits me from even having ANY kind of part time job, even if it was just stuffing envelopes), and now with SSI added, I'm not too bad off. Plus I only pay $15 a month out of my pension for my medical benefits. Plus, add to that my WIFE'S medical pension and SSI, and I'm not doing too badly. The only major financial hiccups I've had over the years were a "re-fi" with a "predatory" financial company, and THAT was to try to clear up a huge debt left by my divorce from my first wife, largely caused by inept FOC records keeping.

Whitefang

• 2 weeks later...
Set it aside for now in a safe place of honor; perhaps later, further on down the road, things might change...

Agreed. As I've stated on several related threads, I will never sell my Sheraton. Not only is she an old and beloved friend and companion, she is a price/performance champion who punches way above her weight.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I have purchased three (3) guitars in the past 12 months (man, talk about succumbing to GAS). Having spent $4,000, I just can't rationalize spending $6-700 to repair a $600 guitar right now.

Set it aside for now in a safe place of honor; perhaps later, further on down the road, things might change...

Agreed. As I've stated on several related threads, I will never sell my Sheraton. Not only is she an old and beloved friend and companion, she is a price/performance champion who punches way above her weight.

Sounds kinda like my relationship with my Les Paul "Classic Premium Plus".

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived