Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A question about rock piano voicings in a band.

shniggens

So, curious about this.

I have to learn new tunes all the time, so I did my headphone therapy session with this Stones tune (hadn't played it before), just to see what would come out.

I copped the signature licks at the intro (naturally), but found myself alternating between (a) heavy rhythmic comp chords picking up on the sus 4 guitar riff with a smattering of 7ths and flatted 3rds, (b) reaching up a few octaves for a few tinkly hammerings using the 5th and related blues scales, and © running a few descending riffs on the blues scale.

I switched between AP and EP voices at different parts of the song -- love that EP grit!

I only spent 20 minutes with it or so, and by the end would be comfortable playing live and taking a solo or two. More time would probably produce more interesting results. Good blues rock tune -- worth digging into! BTW, I feel no obligation to play note-for-note what the original artists did.

As far as advice, I think everyone has offered good tips, including "don't overthink"! Just let loose, and imagine yourself a rock star ...

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/2015/article/flashback-jerry-lee-lewis-drops-an-f-bomb-on-the-grand-ole-opry-20150120/182212/medium_rect/1421791243/720x405-74281487.jpg

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/plinkfloyd/tumblr_lwjzb7tTQV1r0dj31o1_500.jpg

Moe

---

I wish I was brave enough to take as much speed as Steve. That level of energy must be outstanding. But knowing my luck, I'd throw out my back again.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I spoke with Steve. Him and Kerry turned me from a 7 string guitar shredder into a musician.

He's just a super energetic dude. Substances, aside. As am I.

Substances can contribute, of course. Hell, buy me 2 shots of wild turkey and let me sit in on wayward son or point. Yeeeehhhahhhh! Please don't call the cops....

Archived