Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Manhattan this week

Groove Mama

Re NYC and tourists:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8LmPBPWHJu4

Born and raised in Oz but never seen the Great Barrier Reef or Ayres Rock/Uluru or had barbequed shrimp.

BTW better NYC travel advice here than on the proper travel forum I inhabit -

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/categories/country-forums

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
John Pizzarelli is at Birdland this weekend with his Quartet, strings and guests performing the music of Paul McCartney. This is something I would do if in NYC this weekend.
I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

John is great. And he comes from a musical family. His dad, Bucky Pizzarelli is something of a jazz guitar legend, too. Bucky was good friends with Les Paul. And they both play all over the tri-state area, and particularly around North Jersey, where I'm located.

A co-worker of mine saw John perform at the college right near my house, and he told me that the performance was great. Plus, John was a great storyteller. Maybe that rubbed off from Les Paul, because when I saw the Les Paul trio perform I was struck by how engaging Les was in talking with the audience and telling stories. Anyhow, John Pizzarelli was doing the same thing at this college gig. And he told the story of how Paul McCartney approached him to play on his album Kisses on the bottom. He said that he wasn't available due to some scheduling conflicts, but that his dad Bucky was available. So, Bucky gets the call to come in and play some of the sessions for Paul McCartney. Weeks go by, the session happens, and word is circulating around that Bucky is talking about his session for Paul McCartney. (Pardon my paraphrasing) John approaches his dad and asks him "Dad, what are you doing? Why are you talking about these Paul McCartney sessions?" To which Bucky responds "Oh, that? Yeah, I played the session. It went great! And afterward, would you believe that Paul McCartney asked me for MY autograph?" And as John surmised "Dad, he wasn't asking you for your autograph. He needed you to sign a non-disclosure agreement saying that you wouldn't talk about the recording sessions!"

Ah, the differences between generations.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

I'm late to this party. Alas. Why? Because I was busy moving back home to NYC after years and years living away in NC, IL, and NJ (not counting time living in NH and RI for my edumacation when my permanent address was still my folks' apartment in Manhattan).

Ken, Nick, and others provided some good tips. For future reference...

- I still like the 55 Bar (Sheridan Sq -- 1 train) and the Bitter End (Bleecker St) for live music. I particularly enjoy Oz Noy on a Monday evening at the Bitter End -- which Jeremy's done w/ me and Ben Loy. Wayne Krantz used to be a regular at the 55 Bar, but I haven't checked recently to see if he's gotten back on a schedule there (used to be a regular Thurs night set of his).

- I don't like the Blue Note. I do like the Jazz Standard. It's pricy. Dizzy's Coca-Cola has a great view of Central Park, but also pricy.

- Statue of Liberty is kind of cool, but Ellis Island is cooler.

- I'm glad I've been to the Empire State Bldg, but once was enough (and that was years ago).

- Central Park or Riverside Park in Manhattan or Prospect Park in Brooklyn are all pleasant to walk through, picnic, nap, play sports, etc. I'm sure there are other parks with which others are more familiar that are also good; these are what I know.

- Odd Fellows ice cream w/ Lower East Side and Wmsbrg, Brklyn locations is terrific.

- Rudy's in Soho has some sick vintage Fender basses.

- Back in the day, Jeremy's Ale House at the foot of the Brooklyn Bridge on the Manhattan side was a great place for a big beer on a sunny day. Alas, it's no longer in that great warehouse spot.

The thing I've always enjoyed about my trips to NYC is a hang with fellow Lowdowners. Last time there I had a great hang with Tom, Willie, Dan & Rizzo. You would be in fine company with any of these gentleman!

Aw, shucks, Wally. You say the darnedest things. But I thought you'd flag your time at Ultrasound Rehearsal Studios when you, Dan, and Tom crashed a Taft's Bathtub rehearsal!

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Ahh... out oh all the NYC things mentioned above, why is it that one of the biggest smile-makers for me is a mention of Ultrasound?

And, fwiw, the Empire State Bldg. is definitely worth a visit, but once is probably enough. Just the building itself is pretty cool, even without the views up top.

And Prospect Park is tons better than Central Park. Same designer, improving with Prospect what was wrong with the first one. :D (imo, of course...)

(fwiw, my fave pizza place was Geo's in BK, but pretty sure it has to be long gone by now... Thin crust w/ fresh mozzarella and pesto. Damn!)

[edited because I got the name wrong. It's been a minute or two since I was there...]

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

You know, I just heard that this is now the NEW home of Rudy's. The 48th Street location which had been the home of Rudy's for decades closed within the past couple of weeks, and they've relocated the main shop to Broome Street down in Soho. I'm not sure if the Amp Room is still a thing or not.

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

You know, I just heard that this is now the NEW home of Rudy's. The 48th Street location which had been the home of Rudy's for decades closed within the past couple of weeks, and they've relocated the main shop to Broome Street down in Soho. I'm not sure if the Amp Room is still a thing or not.

Well, color me ignorant. I didn't know that the 48th St shop was done. Shecky and rumplestiltskin and I hung there together, and that visit led to my purchase of a used Bag End 2x10 (that is now in Tom's possession), which in turn led to my Bag End fandom, and two Bag End 15s...oy! And, I was there countless times as a teenager and young adult during my early playing years.

The Soho shop is quite nice. The acoustic guitar room is lovely. The main floor is spacious. There's am upstairs room that I haven't been to -- perhaps an amp room...

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

So after all this, not that it wasn't beneficial for others, I got to ask.

Groove Mama, what did you do in NYC?

Hi, guys! Oh, we did so much my head is still swimming. I have been to Manhattan many times before, but always on business and my explorations were limited to restaurants and bars...not that that's a bad thing, of course, but I had never done touristy stuff, other than a one-hour walk in Central Park. This was also my boyfriend's first visit to NY, so he was amped to see stuff.

We arrived Wed night, walked through the park and then dined at Sel et Poivre, east of the park. Food was great and...it was National Restaurant Week, so dining was an almost-affordable delight while we were there. We stayed at the Hilton on 6th and so were within walking distance of a lot of cool things.

Thu we headed out walking amidst the raindrops. (And, frankly, I wished I had a poncho. :laugh:) My BF, Scott, is an architect, so we couldn't help but stand on sidewalks and look up a lot. We checked out Rockefeller Center and Times Square, then headed down to the Highline, which was just great. We had lunch at Wood and Ales in Chelsea. After a business function that evening, we dined at The National. Great food, great ambience. And, again, hooray for National Restaurant Week!

Fri we took an architectural tour around the entire island via boat, and this was just phenomenal. Scott was in 7th heaven, and I couldn't bring myself to leave the rail of the boat, so as not to miss seeing anything. Afterwards we had lunch at The Grey Dog in Chelsea. What a cool little joint serving wonderful, fresh food!

On our way back, we decided to stop at the TKTS booth and were able to score 50% discounted tickets to Beautiful, the Carole King musical, which was just fantastic. From there we took the subway down to I think the Bowery (2nd Ave and 2nd St) to see Gillian Harwin, a bass-player friend from Wooten Woods, and her band at this tiny little Russian bar and restaurant, the Anyway Cafe. They absolutely smoked. She is such an outstanding bass player and singer, too, and her drummer and guitarist were topnotch.

Sat I had business functions to attend, so Scott took a tour of the Guggenheim, which he really enjoyed. Then that evening we went to the top of the Empire State Building. Quite an experience getting up there, and the night view was pretty cool.

Sun we took the subway down to the World Trade Center. I had no intention of going to the memorial, but we ended up visiting the fountains anyway and found that to be a very moving experience. We then checked out Trinity Church and tooled around a little on Wall Street. From there we took the subway to Grand Central Station and then walked through St. Patrick's Cathedral. (If you've never traveled with an architect, you're missing out on a lot of cool historical background and design insight, which really heightened the trip for me.)

By the time we left for the airport, I was pretty sick of all the tourists (yeah, I know :rolleyes: ) and the noise and general chaos of the city and ready to return home.

I can't remember when I've enjoyed a trip more, and I thank you all for all the great suggestions. If you ever come to STL, let me know and I'll turn you on to some great places here as well.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

If Scott is an architect did he look at any exhibits at the Guggenheim or did he just marvel at Frank Lloyd Wright's masterpiece?

Trinity Church, a lot of famous Americans buried there including Alexander Hamilton and Robert Fulton. When my office was in 150 Broadway I didn't need a desk clock because I could just look out the window at Trinity's steeple clock.

Push the button Frank.

If Scott is an architect did he look at any exhibits at the Guggenheim or did he just marvel at Frank Lloyd Wright's masterpiece?

He didn't mention the art, so I think it was all about the building. ;)

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

Architects do love some Frank Lloyd Wright. If I had known about the architectural angle I would've recommend checking out the Chrysler building, the Cathedral of St John the Divine and some of the buildings near Cooper Union in the East Village.

Sounds like you had a nice time, though. And you were staying all of three blocks from my office!

Archived