Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Manhattan this week

Groove Mama

I'll be arriving Wed night for a convention and heading home on Sun. Going to hear a Wooten Woods camper friend at Anyway Cafe on Fri night. Other suggestions for things to do, see and eat? TIA!

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check out Matt Umanov Guitars at 273 Bleeker Street in the Village. A very cool guitar shop on my favorite block in the city. You'll find some cool basses there and the staff is more than happy to plug you in. The neighborhood also has a handful of record shops (both CD and vinyl).

Right across the street from the guitar shop is John's Pizza--the best pizza in New York (and thus the best in the country IMO). Cash only.

Also, if you're looking for something a little more high-brow, my wife and I love to visit the Morgan Library museum in Midtown. Not expensive to get in and not too large--it features really interesting exhibits (mostly around history and books) and you can visit JP Morgan's original library, which is simply beyond belief.

Have fun!

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

Wo Hop on Mott St. Bring your own beer to the downstairs part; it's the same food as upstairs. Wear your sunglasses 'cause it's bright down in that basement. Lots of 70's era headshots line the walls. There's a line even at 3am.

Central Park; Sheep's Meadow. Or, the whole damn park. The freaks in Central Park are so very, very special.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

A lot of our hamburger joints have a burger called Manhattan. I like it! That is really all I can offer :)

Have fun!

Native New Yorker and curious... What's a Manhattan burger?

Push the button Frank.

You get better pizza and bagels in Brooklyn & Queens than in any other boroughs. This is just a fact, plain and simple.

source: Grew up in Queens, wife's family is from the Bronx, worked 30 years in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Staten Island is Jersey.

Push the button Frank.

Staten Island is Jersey.

We don't want Staten Island either. Matter of fact most of the bad reputation New Jersey has comes from that place.

Plenty of fine bagels and pizza in NJ, and plenty of bad bagels and pizza in Brooklyn and Queens too, it's all about the individual location.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

The thing I've always enjoyed about my trips to NYC is a hang with fellow Lowdowners. Last time there I had a great hang with Tom, Willie, Dan & Rizzo. You would be in fine company with any of these gentleman!

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

As a fellow St. Louisan who's only been to Manhattan once, I'll say pick up a subway pass for the time you'll be there, grab a map, and get to know it. It's pretty awesome to be able to hop on the subway and be walking distance from anywhere you want to go, and if you get a pass, you can ride to your heart's content.

One of the cool things to me would probably seem really stupid to native new yorkers, but it was just seeing and visiting all of the places you see and hear about on TV. Chinatown, the village, soho, central park, empire state building, at the time, Letterman, WTC site (which was vacant when I was there), Wall Street. I just pretty much buzzed all around and visited as much as I could.

While Central Park is cool to see (again, mostly after seeing it so much on TV), it wasn't nearly as significant as I thought it would be. We have Forest Park here which is huge by comparison with a lot more to do. To put it in scale, I think it's closer to the size of Tower Grove park here.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

A lot of our hamburger joints have a burger called Manhattan. I like it! That is really all I can offer :)

Have fun!

Native New Yorker and curious... What's a Manhattan burger?

It's a type of "Hawaiian burger", basically a bun, hamburger, lettuce, cheese, pineapple and coctail sauce. In my heavier days I'd opt for a double Manhattan, which has two burgers :)

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

It's a type of "Hawaiian burger", basically a bun, hamburger, lettuce, cheese, pineapple and coctail sauce. In my heavier days I'd opt for a double Manhattan, which has two burgers :)

In other words, it's a burger named for Manhattan by someone who's never been to Manhattan and doesn't know anyone from Manhattan and probably couldn't find Manhattan on a map. Pineapple? Cocktail sauce?

Fuggedaboudit!

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

As a fellow St. Louisan who's only been to Manhattan once, I'll say pick up a subway pass for the time you'll be there, grab a map, and get to know it.

A better option is to use the Hop Stop app. A to B directions for transit including your walking to and from. Taxi's are good but sometimes Uber is better and cheaper when venturing out from Manhattan and getting to/from the airport.

In other words, it's a burger named for Manhattan by someone who's never been to Manhattan and doesn't know anyone from Manhattan and probably couldn't find Manhattan on a map. Pineapple? Cocktail sauce?

Fuggedaboudit!

Kind of like your Coney Island amusement park. It has nothing to do with coney islands. It would just as (mis)appropriately be named Cheesesteak Park or Three-way Chili. ;)

You get better pizza and bagels in Brooklyn & Queens than in any other boroughs. This is just a fact, plain and simple.

source: Grew up in Queens, wife's family is from the Bronx, worked 30 years in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Staten Island is Jersey.

Best NYC-style pizza I had was in Brooklyn (probably Williamsburg). It was kind of like Cheers when Norm walks in and everyone yells "Norm!". I watched three guys walk in and each was greeted with a resounding "Tony!". Slices bigger than your face! (Nearby Italian ice was fantastic, too.)

Wo Hop on Mott St. Bring your own beer to the downstairs part; it's the same food as upstairs. Wear your sunglasses 'cause it's bright down in that basement. Lots of 70's era headshots line the walls. There's a line even at 3am.

This sounds like a place I went to before. I couldn't believe the last band started at 3am. We, unfortunately, did not last that long. Still had a good time.

Of course, you're going to take in a Broadway show, right? Lots to choose from, and there's the TKTS booth in Times Square with daily discount tickets.
"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Of course, you're going to take in a Broadway show, right? Lots to choose from, and there's the TKTS booth in Times Square with daily discount tickets.

Thx, all y'all, for the great suggestions (well, except for the Manhattan burger, maybe. :sick:)

Am considering seeing "Beautiful," the Carol King musical, if my BF is up for it.

Any other Broadway recommendations? How about don't-miss-it music venues?

Thx again! We'll be landing at LaGuardia in a little over an hour. :cool:

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

Very cool that you're going to be visiting our fine city this week, Nancy! I wish you had better weather than the 90+ degrees we're getting for the next week or so. Be that as it may, here are some of the great instrument spots around town:

MANHATTAN - MIDTOWN

Rudy's on 48th street. It's the last store left on what had been "Music Row". And one of the few locations where you're going to find some really high end instruments in stock.

Guitar Center (West 44th street & 7th Avenue) - This is reportedly the new Guitar Center flagship store in NYC. I've yet to go to this store yet myself, despite the fact that I work about 5 blocks from here.

MANHATTAN - CHELSEA

Sam Ash on 34th street & 9th Ave. The Hartke Bass lounge is effectively Sam Ash NYC's bass department. You can expect to see some Sadowsky's and Fender Custom Shop instruments here, along with a few other high end offerings that you won't see in a run of the mill Sam Ash store.

GTR Store Showroom (141 West 28th street) http://www.gtrstore.com/showroom/ - There's some great stuff here. Fender Custom Shop and some boutique builders, too.

30th Street Guitars (30th btwn 7th & 8th Ave). Great vintage/used gear, albeit a bit pricey

Dan's Chelsea Guitars (West 23rd street). More of a guitar spot, but also good for some cool vintage gear

MANHATTAN - THE VILLAGE

Guitar Center (14th street btwn 5th & 6th Ave). The best bass inventory I've ever seen at any Guitar Center, and they've got a vintage room.

Matt Umanov Guitars (Bleecker Street). Cool vintage & new stock, and awesome pizza right across the street at John's.

Carmine Street Guitars - Rick Kelly is the guy who runs this place. He's made some amazing instruments for some of NYC's rock royalty. And he's got a series of instruments (including basses) which are made from reclaimed timbers. Some of that wood has come from historic New York buildings, and some of it dates back to the mid 19th century.

MANHATTAN - EAST VILLAGE/LOWER EAST SIDE

Rivington Street Guitars (East 4th st, NOT RIVINGTON ST). I've been to this store once. It's a nice little spot with some cool, funky vintage gear.

Ludlow Street Guitars (Ludlow btwn Houston & Stanton St.) Effects pedal heaven! Some modern Fenders, but this store is geared a bit more towards guitar players. However, they are Aguilar dealers which is a nice plus if you're looking for amps. Plus they're right across the street from Katz's Deli. That's where you really want to get a sandwich.

MANHATTAN - SOHO

Rudy's Soho (461 Broome Street) Word is that this Rudy's location is much more guitar-centric than the 48th street location.

QUEENS

Sadowsky shop (Long Island City) I haven't actually paid the Sadowsky shop a visit since they were still in Midtown Manhattan in the late 90's. But Roger & crew are very accomodating, even if you're just there to get one of their awesome preamps.

BROOKLYN

Main Drag Music (Williamsburg) It's pretty much all vintage stock here, with some very, very cool offerings.

Southside Guitars (Williamsburg). Great vintage offerings. They also deal in some modern gear (Nash). Very cool guys to deal with.

Fodera Shop - While they're not an instrument store, any time I've run into Joey Lauricella of Fodera he has been kind enough to invite me to come check out the shop.

STATEN ISLAND

Mandolin Brothers - A little out of the way, but these guys know acoustic instruments & vintage, too

But on to important stuff! Like?

WHERE TO EAT?

DELI - Katz's Delicatessan - Houston Street & Ludlow. My favorite deli in all of NYC. The pastrami and corned beef are amazing. FAIR WARNING: By all means, do not attempt to order a sandwich with mayo, or you may be harmed or bodily removed. Be sure not to lose the ticket they give you when you enter. And please don't make a scene at the "When Harry Met Sally" table.

PIZZA - In Manhattan, I'd say John's on Bleeker. It's fantastic, every time. Grimaldi's in Brooklyn is pretty legendary, too. If you want to know more on some of the essential pizza spots in NYC, check out this NY EATER article.

BURGERS - Shake Shack is pretty amazing. And they have a bunch of locations all over town now.

WHERE CHEF'S EAT - Try any of the Blue Ribbon restaurants or any of David Chang's Momofuku restaurants.

DESSERT - Momofuku Milk Bar is pretty amazing. As far as Italian pastry goes? One of my favorite spots is Viniero's on East 11th Street and 1st Ave. That place has been there for over 100 years and it's still going strong. I think they have the best cannoli in NY. There's also Dominique Ansel Bakery in Soho. Sure, the Cronut may have jumped the shark. But this guy is a master pastry chef, and he just won the James Beard award for pastry. That's serious!

WHERE NOT TO EAT - The big chains or pretty much anything around Times Square. Yes it's bright and shiny. But it's a tourist trap and the restaurants are terrible. This is not where New Yorkers dine.

TOURIST TRAPS/PLACES TO AVOID:

TIMES SQUARE: The only thing worth checking out around there are the Broadway Shows. And DO NOT fall for the "FREE CD SCAM". Guys will make like they're trying to give you a CD. And then they're going to demand $20 for it.

HANDSOME CABS: They're pretty expensive. And with the current heat wave you're probably going to bake in those things.

9/11 MUSEUM: This one is kind of personal. I know that a lot of people want to see this and pay their respects. But there are unfortunately a great number of people who do not conduct themselves with a level of decorum that the site merits. A lot of New Yorkers still feel a great deal of pain related to the World Trade Center site, so please keep that in mind.

GOOD THINGS TO CHECK OUT

THE HIGH LINE - The High Line is an old elevated railroad that winds through downtown up to Chelsea, and it's been converted to a very nice walking path and Garden Space. Even though you're only 20 some feet about the city streets, it's oddly quiet. And it gives you some amazing skyline views as well as views of the river.

STATEN ISLAND FERRY - It's free and it's a fantastic way to see lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty. All told the ferry ride is about 20 minutes each way. Personally, I like riding the ferry at night because everything looks amazing lit up against the night sky.

MUSEUMS - Between The Met, the Museum of Natural History, the Guggenheim, the MoMA or the Whitney, NYC has some of the best museums in the world. Any of these would be worth your time, especially if you want to get out of the heat.

NEIGHBORHOODS - The Upper West Side, Chelsea, Union Square, the Village, Soho, Tribeca along with parts of Brooklyn are great for just walking around to check things out or shop.

SHOWS - "Book of Mormon" has been pretty popular for some time. I've heard some good things about the Carol King musical, too.

MUSIC- It really depends on what you like. There are clubs for all tastes all over the city. Pick up a copy of Time Out New York for some current club listings. If it's Jazz? Check out The Blue Note or the Village Vanguard. If you're into something adventurous and you're here through the beginning of next week, Oz Noy will be at the Bitter End in the Village on Monday. He routinely has Will Lee playing bass with him.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Thanks in advance for all of these tips that I'll be borrowing, as well. We're taking my daughter on some college tours (Hoffstra, SUNY Purchase) and working in a day in NYC and a Broadway show as well, in mid-August.

And call it whatever you want, wherever it's from, but I'd try that burger, EPB.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I'm saving those tips too Nick - my son lives in NY and I'm coming over (from Oz) for Xmas. I was going to check out some guitar shops.

My tips based on 2 previous trips to NY (never left Manhattan):

- very good (vegetarian only) Indian food : Chennai Gardens (around the 20s?)

- pretty good pizza : Lombardi's (somewhere south of Mott I think)

- The Met Museum's antiquities museum :- "The Cloisters"

(Take the A train (hey that would make a good song title) to 190th, walk through Fort Tyron Park (maybe have a very nice feed at New Leaf) to the Closters, then walk to Dyckman St station to take the A back.)

- Go down to Battery Park late afternoon and sit and watch the changing light across the water.

- others have told me that a tour of Radio City is worth doing

- finally, a plug for "Red Rooster" and "Yatenga French Bistro" in Harlem - both are great.

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

Happy to help, guys. Truth be told, some guys over at Talkbass had asked about the music shops previously and I offered that info up there a while back. So pardon my copying and pasting on that end.

Some good suggestions there, Slowfinger. The Cloisters is a very unique spot up near the northern tip of Manhattan and it's well worth checking out. Coincidentally, my wife took the tour of Radio City Music Hall a little over a week ago when she came in to meet me at work. She said the tour is really good! And I'd echo the recommendations for Red Rooster up in Harlem. Marcus Samuelsson is probably one of the best chefs in NYC, and I've been hoping to check that place out.

As for more real places VS tourist traps?

-TOURIST TRAP: Little Italy. I want to love it given my heritage, but it's really just a couple of blocks on Mulberry Street at this point. The restaurants charge too much and the tables are too small. If you want more of an authentic Italian experience in NYC I'd recommend going to Arthur Avenue in the Bronx.

-TOURIST TRAP: South Street Seaport. Ever since the Fulton Fish market moved out the neighborhood this place lost it's charm, and it's really much more about the tourists now.

-ON THE BUBBLE: China Town in lower Manhattan. It was growing like crazy for years, and it absorbed a lot of Little Italy in the process. But now China Town in Manhattan is changing, and there's been an exodus from lower Manhattan to Flushing in Queens. If you want to get your Dim Sum on, you gotta go to Queens.

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Any other Broadway recommendations?

Well, Wicked, of course -- if you can get tickets. Best show I've seen. On The Town is great -- the music, two words: Leonard Bernstein.

Off-Broadway, Stomp and Blue Man Group are always fun.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

I always recommend taking the Circle Line boat trip around Manhattan near the beginning of your visit. It allows you to see nearly everything on the island that you might not get to by foot or subway, from a viewpoint you wouldn't normally have, and the guides on the boat give out some interesting info. By taking the boat near the beginning of your visit, you also get an idea of whether you need to go closer, or you might uncover a place that wasn't even on your list.

Enjoy!

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

When you first go to New York do the usual things. Broadway, take a subway to a baseball game, Empire State Building, maybe the Statue... Sadly the music stores aren't the amazing thing they once were. Go see live music, eat at a good steakhouse. I hope you're wealthy...

When you make return visits we can really tell you the cool off-the-beaten path things to see.

Push the button Frank.

Okay, Ken. YES, I'm jaded about tourists in New York doing tourist things.

There's actually some cool touristy things to check out around town. On the West Side at the USS Intrepid. The space shuttle Enterprise is now on exbibit on the deck of the Intrepid. This shuttle was the first in the fleet, and was used for atmospheric tests before the shuttle fleet went operational with the launch of the Columbia. As for sky high views? There are observation decks at the Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center (Top of the Rock) and now down at One World Trade Center.

A couple of things that I beg of you, Nancy?

-Don't wear a poncho. Even if it's raining. It's a tourist bullseye. Get yourself an umbrella.

-Please don't stop in the middle of the sidewalk and look up. Again, another common NYC tourist faux pas that will get New Yorkers a little bit... perturbed.

When you first go to New York do the usual things. Broadway, take a subway to a baseball game, Empire State Building, maybe the Statue... Sadly the music stores aren't the amazing thing they once were.

Sorry kenfxj but I disagree with the Empire State Building and Statue visits, there are much better uses of your time. I agree about the stores though. They just aren't what they used to be but what is.

I work in the middle of tourist hell (near Ed Sullivan theater) and the tourist traffic can be infuriating. There are very few places for good food but there are places. You can go to Victor's for some fine Cuban food. Go for the things that you normally don't find at home. You can get everything from Thai to Ethiopian (if you don't mind waiting for a UNICEF air drop after you order). I have yet to find good Viking food, this city is slipping.

They did a lot to clean up Manhattan over the last 20 years, some would argue that it's charm went away with it as well but, it seems as though things are getting dirtier and there are more visible street people recently.

At least the weather here will be "homey".

Born and raised. Never been to the Empire State Building even though when I walked out my front door and looked left, there it was on the horizon. Never been in the Statue or to the Intrepid or to Grant's Tomb. I worked in both towers of the WTC including 2001. Been to ONE Yankee game (Let's Go Mets!) and ONE B'way show and both were after I'd moved to Jersey.

Typical New Yorker.

I can recommend for culture-like stuff the Cloisters, Metropolitan Museum of Art, MoMA, the Whitney Museum of American Art (my baby sister is an exhibit director), the Guggenheim. The art museums in Manhattan are absolutely world class. I would put an art museum ahead of a Broadway show as a priority.

The Museum of Natural History/Hayden Planetarium has always been a personal favorite of mine for non-art museum.

Push the button Frank.

Don't feel bad, Ken. With the exception of when I went to college, I've lived here all my life, too. And I've still never been to the Statue of Liberty. Not even on a school field trip. I never went to the observation deck of the World Trade Center. And the only reason I ever went to the Empire State Building was because some friends who were visiting from the UK wanted to go. And the only time I went to Grants tomb was when that was packaged with a trip to the Museum of Natural History.

From what I've heard, stuff like that is actually pretty common among New Yorkers.

Archived