Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wurlitzer 145with missing dampers

I just lucked into a Wurlitzer 145 electric piano and among the many things that need repair are the dampers in most of the top octave (from D up). They all been cut down down so that the notes ring free. But they're all cut cleanly (or at least no less accurately and cleanly than any of the red of the parts inside) which makes me wonder if it came from the factory like that. But I can't imagine any reason why someone would want most of the top octave to not have dampers (whether from the factory or not). Any idea why this would be?

thanks!

145_inside.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's exactly as they should be. If you have an acoustic piano at your disposal, play the last octave or so of the keyboard and you'll notice that the notes are undampened. Actually, any decent or recent digital piano will replicate this feature.

Wurlitzer designed their electric pianos to do the same thing whereas Rhodes didn't.

On a slight separate note, Nord's Wurlitzer sample does not have the undampened last octave. What's weird is that their original Wurli on the Electro 2 DID have this feature; I never understood why they took it away.

I wondered this same thing when I bought my first Wurlitzer years ago.

Thank you guys for answering the OP courteously. I remember asking a question like this about my Rhodes on the Yahoo Rhodes group a long time ago. A member basically called me a dumbass, even though I am not an EE, and had never owned a Rhodes before.

Because he was 347 years old, and had owned and played Rhodeseseseses for 320 of those years, he thought that EVERYONE should be an expert, and know all the ins and outs of these boards, and anybody who didn't, needed to just STFU and stop asking such dumb questions.

Stuff and things.

I remember asking a question like this about my Rhodes on the Yahoo Rhodes group a long time ago. A member basically called me a dumbass,

:D It wasn't me.

This is OT now, but the Yahoo Rhodes group once was a very cool place. It pretty much got blown up by one fellow (who has a business relationship with a prominent member of this forum so I won't name names). Believe me, you weren't the only one to get your feelings hurt.

:nopity:

Wow! Thanks for the info. I've never noticed this (perhaps explained by the fact that I'm a bass player who owns some keyboards rather than a keyboard player). This is extra good news as it's one less thing I need to fix!

And yes, thanks for the courteous response. It's sad that courtesy is often not the norm on the internet these days. The posts directing people to Google (especially the ones assuming the poster hasn't already done so) are quite tiresome.

thank again!

Archived