Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DAW Stability: " who's stable, and who isn't"

Originally posted by DallasPA:

Phil,

I heard you got rid of 4416's, what did you move up to a DM1000 or 02R96.

Dallas

Actually, the dual AW4416's are still sitting here... waiting for me to dump the last few things off the HDD's, and then up on Ebay they go...

I actually considered the DM1000, but in the end I went with the 01V96. The only things the DM1000 added to the package were things I didn't really need... such as the surround joystick (not really doing surround sound mixes yet) and the onboard automation... and I prefer to do that on PT MIDI tracks anyway - which allows me to control and manipulate all automation from a single interface - it helps with the workflow IMO.

Once I got the new board installed, and the new console for it (from www.customconsoles.com - very nice furniture, although mine is quite a bit different / more substancial than the one on their website), my wife freaked out a bit. "Oh, it's so much smaller and less impressive looking than the old console and dual AW's were". Whatever. :rolleyes::D Actually, I was planning on eventually starting a thread and posting before and after pics of the CR and asking everyone what they thought... but anyway, it's all within easy reach, there's a consolodation of functionality and ease of use and of control that is just blowing me away. And it sounds GREAT! I couldn't be happier.

For anyone running PT, any of the boards in the new Yamaha line are a GREAT match. I'm really diggin' my setup.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

I also own Logic Platinum, Sonar and Vegas, and for me - by far, PT is the most stable.

Phil,

Just clarifying one thing, the Logic you're running is for PC, correct? Just asking, as I'm curious about people's perceptions of Logic on Mac vs. PT, which I haven't seen addressed yet.

Cheers,

Mark

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

Originally posted by Red Winger:

I also own Logic Platinum, Sonar and Vegas, and for me - by far, PT is the most stable.

Phil,

Just clarifying one thing, the Logic you're running is for PC, correct? Just asking, as I'm curious about people's perceptions of Logic on Mac vs. PT, which I haven't seen addressed yet.

Cheers,

Mark

Well, it's not even loaded on my machine at the moment (although the dongle is still sticking out the back), but yes, it was on the PC.

I wouldn't be surprised if the results of your questioning and research implies that Logic Mac is considered more stable than Logic PC.

Originally posted by Curve Dominant:

posted by DallasPA:

Most Stable --- Pro Tools 5.1 OS 9.2.2

We've been running that exact system on a B&W G3 for 2+ years now.

Very solid rig.

Me three. Just upgraded the B&W to a G4 digital audio with a 1.33 gHz accelerator card. Nice. Between the mix card and the RTAS/HTDM native power, I have 64 reliable tracks and a ton of plugs.

----------------------------

Phil Mann

http://www.wideblacksky.com

GigaDesigns G4/1.25GHz Upgrade (got it from otherworldcomputing.com, they have a handy model buying guide.)

Nice, it needed no extensions. I only had to update the G4's firmware, downloaded from Apple.

You can raise the clock speed on the processor upgrade till it stops working. I guess the extra .08 ghz is doing SOMETHING for me. It's like an extra Power Mac 8100/80 in there.

----------------------------

Phil Mann

http://www.wideblacksky.com

I wouldn't be surprised if the results of your questioning and research implies that Logic Mac is considered more stable than Logic PC.

Thanks for the clarification. I expect that to be the case, at least going forward for OSX. I'm planning on picking up a G5 this year (should funds permit), but may also add an Mbox to my setup, at least for laptop use.

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

Originally posted by Philter:

GigaDesigns G4/1.25GHz Upgrade (got it from otherworldcomputing.com, they have a handy model buying guide.)

Nice, it needed no extensions. I only had to update the G4's firmware, downloaded from Apple.

You can raise the clock speed on the processor upgrade till it stops working. I guess the extra .08 ghz is doing SOMETHING for me. It's like an extra Power Mac 8100/80 in there.

cool - thanks for the input Phil.
Ed Mann

Ranking the systems I use daily, or nearly every day, my P4 asus board with Nuendo 1.6 is just about unbreakable. N2.1 on the same system is pretty stable as well, and is a leap forward in features, but not as solid as 1.6. DP 4.12 on a panther G4 with motu 1296 runs pretty stable so far..... been in service synced to a Studer 2" for a couple of weeks now, so far so good, no crashes. The other nuendo system, running on an athalon xp stsem is pretty solid as well....not as solid as the P4 system above though. 2 g4 rigs running logic and reason, a lil' buggy at times. G4 with mix24plus PT on 9.2 seems slow next to the nuendo systems and is a little crash prone. altogether thought, I think we've reached a point where most platforms and programs are pretty stable....especially when compared to the same programs 5 years ago. 'Course thats mainly due to the operating systems, OSX, XP, beeing much more stable than their predicessors.
Chuck Moore

Archived