Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Warwick Thumb string clack

porschephile1

I love the sound of my Warwick thumb bolt on 5, but when I play it, I can't avoid string clack, particularly from between the nut to the seventh fret or so. It's practically new (2013 hardly played).

I'm using .045 to .130, so there not slinky strings, and I believe the truss rod adjustment is within factory parameters. When I set it up with lots of bow, the tone suffers and it plays like a truck. When I set it up to play nicely with med-low action, it clacks when I play fast or dig in.

I have two Pedulla 5's that play better and d, don't have this problem, but I love the Warwick sound. Any suggestions? Any great guitar techs near Detroit?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't even know where to start. My Warwick Thumb was in the shop more than it was available to play. It cost me $3400 new and I finally wrote it off after a number of years.

I did love certain aspects of the sound, but the unevenness across the neck drove me crazy. That was the through-neck version though. I also had a bolt-on Thumb (that might have been my fretless bass at the time; I can't remember).

Others here can get more technical with their replies, but it sounds like it needs major work from a technician. Whether it's worth it or not depends on how much you paid, and where you live (we don't even know which country). Warwicks have poor resale value in much of the USA, but if you're in Europe, probably you can do pretty well.

To be clear, your post sounds to me like a basic description of a Warwick bass. :-( I owned a fair number of Warwick's in my naive youth (1990's). Every last one of them was a constant problem. I don't even remember if I ever fully solved the "clack" problem, but I do remember changing my playing style in a rather extreme way to accommodate all of the issues.

I try Warwicks that show up at the local stories now and then, to see if anything has changed. Every last one of them is clanky. I think it might be intentional, as a lot of players WANT that sound?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Thanks for the response. Disappointing though- I find the wood, the shape and tone of the bass very appealing, but after two corvettes and two or three thumbs, it might be time to give up...

The Pedulla's just work far better, with none of the issues- just love that unique Warwick tone...

If the problem is between nut & 7th fret, this indicates a very slight backbow.

Try releasing the truss rod by about 1/4 turn and seeing how that feels - you may feel you need to lower the saddles slightly.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

And make sure one of the pickups isn't a little too high. That makes some clacky noises, fer sure.

My other thoughts on a long-distance diagnosis is the two octave neck. The five frets that are "inside" the body won't bend like the rest of the neck when you do a truss rod adjustment and could therefore create issues at setup. If you never go that high on the neck or if you don't mind higher action at that extreme end, maybe get a luthier luther leither luithier to file down those last frets a tad-- the 24th fret the most, the 19th fret just a little. If it doesn't fix the problem, no one will be the wiser when you sell it anyway;)

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Asking the (maybe) obvious question: have you taken it to a professional for a proper set-up?

Are you talking about a luthier, luther, leither, or a luithier?

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Take it to Lex Luthier

http://statici.behindthevoiceactors.com/behindthevoiceactors/_img/chars/char_5759.jpg

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Hey Rumple, not everyone has a passport. :-)

Sorry; I have a LOT of visual problems (and they can't be operated on until they get worse), so when a posting is poorly formatted and very dense/blockish, I miss stuff. I didn't see the Detroit part when I first read it.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• 3 weeks later...
Any suggestions? Any great guitar techs near Detroit?

i've heard motor city guitar in clarkston does really good work. depends upon where you are in the metro area.

Yes to Motor City Guitar in WATERFORD (M59). Their luthier Scott Kenerson Scott Kenerson website does excellent work.Highly recommended!

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

I have that same model bass. To me it sounds like a slight overbow and it needs some neck relief. If you have done that then I would suggest raising the "adjust-a-nut" adjustable nut at the headstock a bit.

Really a lot of the problem could be when you are digging in. Any bass is going to clack some especially if you dig in up at the neck. The strings get pulled more and tend to arc in bigger circles greatly adding the possibility for clack. Try positioning your hand closer to the bridge when digging in.

I do my own setups so I don't really know anybody in the Detroit area although I've heard they used to have a luthier at Huber and Breese in Fraser that did good work.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

Archived