Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ideas for complement to Kronos 88

Redknife

EJF's line from the Nord thread along with other comments paused me with a full checkout cart (NS2 ex compact):

In my mind at the moment, if you're looking at a Stage and you actually find the Fatar TP/40 whatever it is flexible enough (not too heavy, not too light) to play piano, Rhodes, B3, etc. (as some folks purport), then you should also look at a Kurzweil PC3K8 or PC3A8 which also uses the light weighted Fatar action. But for less money, IMHO they give you an awful lot more power, variety of sounds and fx, flexibility in splits and multis, etc. YMMV

I've been looking at the PC3A6 which might be a killer combo with the Kronos. Viable as a solo instrument. TP9 synth action, organ drawbars, new german grand (not full 16gb like Forte). 30.8 pounds. Non-piano and non-organ sounds way better to my ears than the NS2 ex. The PC3A6 is $1500 less than the NS2ex compact. Obviously the PC3A6 has an octave less keys. The Kurzweil would be a great controller for MainStage or iPad in the future. The PC3A6 might need a vent, however. A Forte in a 61 would be nice but that is vaporware that may or may not ever materialize. I considered an Artis-7 but hated the action when I played it so my attention turned away from Kurzweil. Any holes in a PC3A6 plan?

Chris

Main gear: Yamaha C7, Kronos 2 88, Moog Sub 37, CK61,  Kurzweil PC2x, Pearl epro, Mac/Logic/AUs

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Kurzweil follows the pattern set in previous models, the 88 key comes out first, then the 76 key, and then the 61 key. This was the case with the original PC3 (the PC2 only had the 88 and 76). and with the PC3K. The 76 key Forte has just been announced (with a weighted keyboard). Of course, past actions do not mean that any unannounced product WILL happen. Based on the past, I would not expect a 61 key variant in less than six months.

PC3A6 should be a pretty good keyboard, I'm well pleased with my PC361, and the action is definitely optimized for organ and synth use. I like my SK1-73 better for Hammond, but I do use the two together (and have the PC3X if I want a full 88). I've never had a Nord Stage, but I did buy an Electro 3-73, kept it for a year or so. Loved the light weight for load in/out, the organ was different from the KB3 in the Kurzweil, but I sold the NE3 and bought the PC361. With the secondary outputs of the Kurzweil, you could easily add a Vent or Burn and have some very good Hammond/Leslie - still spending less than the Stage.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I agree with the Yamaha MOXF6 for light weight at a little over 15 lbs, great EP's Clavs, nice smooth synth action, you can just turn it on and play the 1000 plus presets. I love my Kronos X but have always been inspired by the acoustic guitar patches and solo horns on my MOXF6, one in particular called "Mellow Soprano"...and you can buy a voice library to load into the MOXF6 called B's Knees which has a ton of vintage organ patches that really are killer for a mere $34.95. I getting ready to buy the Vintage Keys Voice Library from the Motifator site. Heard some demos that sound really good and authentic. Good luck with whatever board you end up with to complement your Kronos.

I have a pc3a6 and a vent 2 on the way.

If the setup doesn't live up to my expectations I'll probably go with an sk1 which I liked a lot. I'd have to pay the return shipping and lose the initial shipping if I wanted to change up. I could see how an sk1 + moxf6 could be a nice lightweight power combo. I could never feel good about the value proposition for the stage 2 ex compact or electro 5d but they are great boards. Anyway, thanks for all of the advice.

Chris

Main gear: Yamaha C7, Kronos 2 88, Moog Sub 37, CK61,  Kurzweil PC2x, Pearl epro, Mac/Logic/AUs

Archived