Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Better to be a big fish in a small pond?

Ok fame and fortune, people...

Say :

I've built my own studio...

I have written and recorded the album and have the catchy hit singles...

I've got a memorable band name...

I've created the eye catching "As-good-as-the-rolling-stones-lips-and-tongue-logo-thing" and had it printed onto a T-shirt and baseball cap, maybe even a hoody to impress my "street" fan-base...

I've bought the domain name for the band...

I've created the flashiest pro looking web site you've ever seen...

I've got a downloadable MP3 of the catchy hit single and Realaudio streaming of the rest of the album to prove it's not filler...

I have 100 CDs created professionally at 1.25 a CD...

I set up the internet shop with the album (and downloads/streaming bits), t-shirt, hat etc.

(Ok none of this is true but bear with me)

Ok so I price the CD at 8 pounds (that's 456 dollars for any American readers) - which with P&P makes me a profit of say 5 pounds a CD.

I've read all the books and articles about "Everything you wanted to know about the music industry but where afraid to ask (in case everyone started pointing and laughing at you)" and I don't want a record deal - seems most bands get screwed and all the money goes to the record company.

So as far as fame and fortune goes - is it better in your opinion to make a large profit on small quantities of sales and become well known in your little town - that way if anyone does ever pick up on you, from a business point of view you are making 60/70% profit on your sales as opposed to 14k a year after execs recoup all their expenses...

Or maybe I'm just getting old? :)

Chris Griffin: Yo, did y'all check me when that hottie was all up in my Kool-Aid? Yeah, I was looking to break off a little somethin' somethin' but my crew gave me the 411 on that skank and she's all about the bling-bling.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

water flows downhill. if you wish to be ROBBED, there are plenty of old rich bald impotent bastids with really nice suits that will scwoo you raw and leave you bleedink'!.

Coattail riders are like that. BUT

if you build your own empire without the hep' of them suits and what they PROVIDE and offer, then of course less monies are to be paid out. ONLY

I ain't makin' any money but then Its really quiet and restful around my home. no phonecalls, no meetings or grueling hours and hours till the bags under yore ayes are bigger than a duffel.

i do what I wish and go my own way mostly. fok a suit. and I like tunafish and sardines and crackers!

I would rather get with a goode engineer producer/player dude to capture my tones and tunes and market it all my self or with minimal hep..

If you have a goode product folkes will buy it. or so I'm told. ahahahaha!

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

It depends on WHAT YOU WANT.

I work with acts that are signed to Time Warner (Atlantic, Maverick, EasT West, etc etc), and I work with acts that traverse the country in a Ford van doing gigs.

Depending on the exposure and fame and market penetration you want, you choose that vehicle to carry you.

How did you formulate that concept in your business plan?

Originally posted by NYC Drew:

How did you formulate that concept in your business plan?

I was going to ask that same question.

And it's very rare(in fact, you could round it off to never) for someone to even get the opportunity to make that choice.

"For instance" is not proof.

Well my business plan for my fictitious band is pretty much what you read above :)

But basically what I was getting at was that when I read up on touring bands that have huge record deals (articles similar to this one ), sure they end up with worldwide fame but the bottom line figures show that each band member doesn't really end up with that much cash in hand.

If mega worldwide stardom is not the plan, then does it not make more financial sense to become a big fish in a small pond since although your sales will be small, your profits will be higher?

Chris Griffin: Yo, did y'all check me when that hottie was all up in my Kool-Aid? Yeah, I was looking to break off a little somethin' somethin' but my crew gave me the 411 on that skank and she's all about the bling-bling.

FnB,

For the most part, I agree with you and that's our own business plan (in fact we've already done most of the things on your list. :D We've also got the Ford van and are starting to travel around to gigs in it. :) ) That is, major label fame and fortune is not on our agenda. And I agree that smaller sales at higher profits is the way to go.

However, we're also convinced that somewhere there's a middle ground between the total independent driving around in a van, and major rock stardom. Some people have tread this middle ground for a long time - people like Richard Thompson for example. He's always sold a modest number of records - maybe 25,000 to 50,000 per release - plays in small to mid sized venues up to 1000 people, and yet enjoys worldwide recognition by a cult following and has always managed to make a comfortable living on his own terms. He's always completely ignored current trends and MTV, doesn't have to deal with people recognizing him on the street constantly, but still makes a nice living and can afford to hire good people to tour with him, a real tour bus and crew, etc.

That is what we aspire to. Major labels mostly don't want to deal with such aspirations. They would consider such small sales figures a total loss and failure, and the artist would make next to nothing in record royalties. But total independents rarely have the kind of marketing muscle to achieve those kind of sales or attendance numbers either. Somebody with money has got to figure into the equation somewhere - a small label (I'm not talking about the "vanity" labels that are springing up on the Internet nowadays, but a real label with real money behind it, albeit smaller budgets and small profit expectations), a corporate sponsorship, etc.

It seems to me that in Europe it's easier to get to this level than America because European countries are small and it's easy to tour around there on your own. Europeans also seem more open to different sorts of music and less hung up on image. On the logistical side, Europe has pubs on every corner which you can walk to, and easily stagger home at the end of the night. In America, most people live in the suburbs and the clubs are in the cities. Therefore most suburbanites can't be bothered to go downtown at night, especially considering they'll have to drive home and are likely to get busted for DUI. There are bars in the suburbs but most of them are cultural wastelands populated by bands who are willing to play "Freebird" every night. That's why a lot of American artists go to Europe to "make it." We hope to get over there very soon. :)

But since you're already in the UK, I'd say go for it! If you can build a regional following in your area and get local CD distribution, as well as a smattering of sales on the Internet, no reason why not. Then you control your own destiny, and can make the music you want to make, which beats the hell out of being chewed up and spit out by a major label (if you ever even get the opportunity).

You have gor very cool info from real people doing their business. I just have some words for you:

Think Global, Act Local

YOu can not conquer the world if you don't get first your hometown at least in a minimal part. Make your music be played on local radio stations, play in all local massive events, record a video which might be played on local TV stations, bars, pubs...

Locally: Let your fans move you up!

Globally: define how high you would like your band to get and make a plan.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

I myself would love to be in a band that has a cult following. These bands can stay around forever and have an intensely loyal fan base. You might not be tops in the business but you'll be able to make money at music for most of your days.

I like the Think Local thing Gus. I'm going to preach that at the next band meeting.

Double Posting since March 2002

Random Post Generator #26797

Originally posted by FnB:

[QB]Well my business plan for my fictitious band is pretty much what you read above :)

Steve Albini's article is also full of some shit too.

His numbers are wack. Ask somebody that knows (me for example :cool: ).

I've tour managed big acts with multi platnum sales and itty bitty teeny acts trying to avoid the bill collecters by changing their accents if they pick up the phone and the creditors are on the other end of the line.

For the "big" groups, the fucking guitar/drum/synth techs can take home $2-3k/week. Easy.

Go overseas, and you can pull in $2k/mth for PER DIEM. And even then, most times the contracts are worded where the promoters have to roll out the feed through at every show date, lunch and dinner.

His is a one sided (but sadly, often true) picture.

I agree with Lee in many ways. The one thing I underscore, and I know Craig and Jeff the former Tascam weasel will agree with me on, is, every "self surviving" musician/group should at least once in their careers try their hand at controlling their own business, and put 100% effort and smarts into it.

NYC Drew

Originally posted by NYC Drew:

I agree with Lee in many ways.

So do I,because I was able to live both sides of the coin, and musicianship and longevity are more important to me.Longevity and calling your own shots has everything to do with this.Of course being older and having been through both and all sides of this makes the decision easier for me personally.If your young though,there's nothing wrong with going for the gold and changing your mind later,as long as you have a good lawyer and don't sign anything too all consuming time-wise or soul-wise.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Now "THIS" is fun! :P

I would "like to" make a ton of money but the sad fact is that I can DO dives and parties and make a fair wage. I cain't do europe at all. cain't SWIM that far! ahahahaha!

Them suits don't care about me or my joms anyhoo. Them folkes in them dives do.

they are glad to see me most times. . and I kinda like the sour beer smell almost kinda. sorta. it seems NORMAL.

yeah that other life in them big halls and clean rooms Is nice I bet..

this one ain't too bad for me right now..

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

Originally posted by arellspencer:

I would "like to" make a ton of money

That's another issue entirely and requires talents alien to most musicians.There are plenty of easier and better ways to make money than off music,so unless your commited to music and love what your doing.................
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Archived