Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

never been any reason - lost my patch !!

hazerkeys

I am almost embarrassed to ask for this advice - but here goes - My band does a nice job on this song and I diligently learned the lead in, solo, etc to support the nice harmonies the guys have worked on .. here is the bad part .. My Nord Lead 2 lost its settings and I have been trying to recreate my patch for the moog sound used (realize he doubled tracked a couple on the studio version - Headeast) ... the last time I played out my patch was horrible (piercing, ear bleeding LOL) - I am using two triangles waves on osc 1 and 2 , with one just slightly de-tuned, with filter around "noon" and resonance around "11 o'clock" ... I just can't seem to get the sound I want (maybe better take the Little Phatty on the road LOL) - any advice for this patch creation on the Nord Lead 2 .. realize I will never get it to be a moog, but just hope I can get back to where I was before - I will keep tweaking here, but any shortcuts from you good programmers out there will be appreciated !!

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just turn the synth down, and go "ooh wee ooh wee ooh wee" in the mic. :D

Use sawtooth waves, not triangle, tuned very close so that they kind of phase each other but don't beat. 4 pole filter, mostly open with no envelope control and mid resonance. Glide.

Moe

---

Roger didn't really "double track it." He did 2 takes of the solo. The engineer didn't mute the first take and they decided it sounded cool to use them both on the record. :D

You won't get it to be that Moog. That damn thing drifts like a Mother Hubbard. Roger's tech thought he did him a favor some years back and replaced the oscilators with something more stable. Roger response was you better put them back or I will kill you. :D He did and all was good again.

FWIW it is the same synth that REO used on Riding the Storm Out. Both bands recorded at Golden Voice and Neal didn't own a Moog at the time.

Twin saw waves slightly detuned, open the filter up and use a boat load of glide.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

thanks guys !! - and cool background as well - BTW, I meant to say that he did use 2 takes (I actually did that when we did this song for our demos in the studio when I had my good patch - came out pretty cool!) - thanks again for the posts so far and I will keep tweaking away !!! . may just have to break out the Little Phatty (only reason I take the Nord on gigs is I do use some poly pads on it as well)

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

I cross-posted with Moe. Do what Moe says. It is a pretty basic Moog lead sound. Every instrument is different so you will need to experiment with exact filter/resonance settings. But Moe Knows Synth.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Archived