Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wont get fooled again vr09

earl the pearl

Im sure this topic has been played out ad nauseum but could somebody please just give me a simple list of effects parameters to get the sound.I have the notation and rhythm just looking for a passable tone for my cover band. Thanks as always.

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what its all about?

Nord E5D, EV ZLX12P, MX61

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just use the organ model, with a registration like 888880000. No C/V, no percussion. Then I run through a wah pedal. I manually play the part, and slowly open and close the pedal.

On my JUNO-G I used a square wave LFO modulating the volume, and a phaser effect. You can also try a slicer. According to Wikipedia, the organ used on the recording was a Lowrey so you might get closer using a transistor organ model.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

The most important part of the sound is the pulsed gating, which the VR09 makes ridiculously easy with the 'tempo slice' MFX.

If you apply it to the organ you're 70% of the way there.

The more complete way would be to use the iPad editor to select an Organ-ish sample and apply an LFO routed to the filter cutoff. There's no way to do this without the editor IIRC. Then use the tempo slice MFX on that.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

On my JUNO-G I used a square wave LFO modulating the volume, and a phaser effect. You can also try a slicer. According to Wikipedia, the organ used on the recording was a Lowrey so you might get closer using a transistor organ model.
Did you have any trouble keeping the rest of the band synchronized? In my experience, it's a skill that needs to be developed and doesn't come naturally, especially to bands that don't use backing tracks.

Did you have any trouble keeping the rest of the band synchronized? In my experience, it's a skill that needs to be developed and doesn't come naturally, especially to bands that don't use backing tracks.

I only played it by myself at home :( By the way I read that Keith Moon had to concentrate on keeping in tempo too :)

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Im sure this topic has been played out ad nauseum but could somebody please just give me a simple list of effects parameters to get the sound.I have the notation and rhythm just looking for a passable tone for my cover band. Thanks as always.

The answer here so far are great for the VR-09. use the "slice"

When I played this, I used my MOX and a great sound from one of the vintage keys libraries. My drummer and I had click track in our ears.

Even today, I send a click track for various songs from the FA-08 additional out to my drummer, so that string parts on certain songs are on tempo when I trigger them from the pads.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

I've never tried that particular song but I have had problems with my band staying in sync to songs with other pulsed / gated synths. At least in WGFA the organ starts the song and is pretty out front so it sets a bit of a metronome for the others to come in.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

I've been able to make arepeggiated parts work without a click using tap tempo, but usually they are short sections, not the entire song.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Agreed. That's why I prefer to just play the part. It gets tiring, but in this case, it is certainly doable.

I use the vintage keys patch for motif for the intro and middle solo and play the rest from the sk1...

Our drummer has great meter,but still wasn't rock solid on this one.Since we almost never practice any more... it was easier to just play it.

Archived