Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: My Dance Card For June

desertbluesman

The wife and I will get back to Ship Bottom NJ in early June for week. Looking foreword to the trip. Plane tickets bought and rent a car reserved. 3 days after I get back home to the Arizona Sonoran Desert, the wife, her sister, and her sisters friend and I, will trip up to Yellowstone with one night stops in St George Utah, Provo Utah, 2 nights inside Yellowstone, a nights stop In Gerome Idaho, then a night in Reno Nevada, a stop at my other sister in laws house near Clear Lake California for undetermined nights. A visit to John Muir Woods to see the redwoods north of San Francisco, a detour around San Fransisco to Monterrey, and then down the California Coast via Big Sur to San Louis Obispo, and then back to the Sonoran Desert. I think my dance card for June is pretty full.......

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

National Park buff here. Would love to go back to Yellowstone and Muir Woods (and in your neck of the woods, Saguaro).

Two days in Yellowstone will be tough. We had almost a week there and didn't see everything. Saw more different kinds of wildlife there than any other National Park we've visited, though. (Tried to squeeze in Grand Tetons afterwards but one day there was barely enough to scratch the surface.)

Try to catch Muir Woods at an off time. When we were there it seemed like every fitness buff in SF was using it for their exercise regimen. It's hard to take in the majesty of the forest when everybody and their brother is power walking up and down the trail and talking loudly to each other.

Enjoy!

St. George is beautiful. Awesome views of canyonlands - lots of westerns were shot around that area.
We will be stopping in to Zion North about 15 miles north of St George. The St George stop is just a motel/supper in a restaurant stop, but we will be glad to see whatever we can see on the highway until we hit Zion North, the off we go hopefully by noon on to Ogden which is another motel/supper in a restaurant stop.

Zion is a nice park, too, but it's too close to California so it's a bit crowded. A little further east and you'll hit Bryce Canyon. We had a much better time there away from the crowds.

Further yet is Capitol Reef. Capitol Reef is best seen with a high-clearance 4x4 vehicle. (We didn't make it to Arches.)

In Zion we did hike Angel's Landing with a full bus load of people. My wife is afraid of heights so we didn't do the last stretch, up the "spine"' to the top. (Not us in the vid.)

[video:youtube]4CIN-N5cNwk

Zion is a nice park to drive through, though. Just don't be in a hurry. Traffic can back up when larger vehicles drive through the narrow tunnels (shutting down opposing traffic).

The drive between parks was pretty nice, too.

The wife and I have been to Zion south 2x. And Bryce 2x, Once from all the views up top and once down in on one of the hikes, on the way down into Bryce my wife slipped and sprained her ankle, but she continued on the hike until we made it back up to the car. We have been to Arches, and to Canyon lands both north and south entrances. Many times to the Grand Canyon, and up the Navajo res on many of the res roads, and into Monument valley, and on up.

Archived