Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I need a piano

jmemcse517

I had the dual VR-09 thing going because it fit the 70's rock band I was in at the time. Now I'm sitting here trying to do some serious piano playing and I can't because the VR-09 keybed is not at all suited.

I sold my QS8 last fall before I moved to Michigan. Dang Dang Dang.

I am going to buy a new keyboard. Never ever thought I'd consider a Casio, however, in regards to the Casio PX-5S Privia, would anyone be able to tell me if they play & record well?

All I care about is an acoustic piano sound that plays like a piano. What would some other options be in that price point? That's the problem; I can't afford a Nord, for example, plus I need to pick up East West Symphonic Orchestra because I already turned down an assignment as I didn't feel I had adequate resources. I may not be able to read music per se, but both my parents had music degrees from Michigan State University and took me to see dozens of different symphony orchestras the whole time I was growing up. I'm also glad I spent hundreds of hours standing over my moms shoulder watching her play works from all the classic great composers. I would be just mesmerized. I super cherish those memories now that mom is long gone...

Anyway, my big mouth rambles on as always. Sorry.

I've had my fill of VR-09 this morning - I want, make that need, to add a piano to my arsenal.

Thanks - Jim

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

heres a plan

look on line in whatever version of 'free if you come and get it.com" and theres usually a free piano, borrow your mates or your uncles van and go get it.

it probobly wont be in tune, but a piano-key spanner will set you back no more than 20 dollars odrer online and there are laptop apps now to enable you to tune a piano, taken all the skill out of it, no need to stress over the pythagorian anomily!

course if your planning on gigging with it the above information will be totaly useless.

the casio 88 key pianos have won awards, i use a casio, it's not as good as a nord perhaps but 'bang for buck' casio wins out

Yamaha CP4 is good. More I play it the more I like but it may be too expensive.

Kawai MP7 is a great stage piano at $1700.

Yamaha P-255 at $1200 is nice. I especially like the speakers.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Casio PX-350. For piano I like it better than the PX5S. I thought the speakers sucked but Casio has just announced a new version with improved speakers that maybe worth a look. The 350 support a triple pedal.

ES100 is worthy. I'm a longtime Kawai fanboy. Both slabs and pianos.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I just finished pairing a VR09 with my CP4. The two together make a pretty good rig for just about any musical style. I have a classic rock mini gig + jam on Monday night. Can't bring the organ, two flights of fire escape stairs and no elevator. F that.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I was pleasantly surprised by the Casio PX-350. For piano I like it better than the PX5S.

The piano presets are identical. The PX-5S adds editing, DSP effects, 4 Band EQ and obviously much more but none of those are used on the factory piano presets which are identical to the PX-350.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I think you will like it. I played it and the P-255 side by side and liked the feel of the 350. The Yamaha had better sounding speakers but you will probably run it through other amplification.

Hi Jim,

I have the Casio PX-5s & the vr-09. They are a great combination. The PX is lovely as a piano - very responsive, feels good to play and is not tiring. I think the one you have bought will feel just the same, so I expect you will be very happy with it. It cuts through well in a band. All recordings I have done so far I have been pleased with. :)

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Thought I'd post an update - first, thanks everyone, and CEB for the tip on the PX-350. I feel It's just what I'm looking for. And ya, I could care less about on-board speakers.

I didn't place my order yet because I noticed the E/W Symphonic was on backorder, and I'm also afraid of making a "rash" decision.

And to be honest, I'm waiting on a decent sized check (well, to me anyway) from a song I sold and I'd rather source from that as opposed to using a credit card. But, knowing my impatient self, if the "check" hasn't been ACH'd into my checking by the end of the week I'll get the Privia on credit, and hopefully the E/W software will be in by then.

I hovered over their 3 payment plan and tried to click it, but my left hand grabbed my right hand by the wrist and slapped me back to reality.

Thanks! I'll keep you posted.

Thought I'd post an update - first, thanks everyone, and CEB for the tip on the PX-350. I feel It's just what I'm looking for. And ya, I could care less about on-board speakers.

If you don't care about the speakers, I"d suggest seriously considering the PX-5S instead of the PX-350. I found it to be a much better piano. As Mike said, the basic presets may be the same, but the PX5S piano sounds are far more adjustable/customizable with EQ, effects, and other editing functions. Besides tweaking them yourself, there are some alternate piano sounds you can download from Casio's forum, and I think some play very noticeably better than the stock pianos. And as Mike himself posted in the Casio forum, "while the PX-350 and PX-5S do have the sample piano sample, they don't have the same 'piano sound'. The PX-5S has a different effects engine which sonically is a different league. [There] is a 4 band EQ which the PX-350 does not have. The PX-5S can reproduce sympathetic resonance and lid simulation effects which the PX-350 can not. It also has release velocity which changes the legato, staccato response of the sound. So while the starting point is the same, what the PX-5S does with it is different."

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Yes. One of the reasons I like the PX-350 is the onboard speakers. I find them really handy and I like the sound coming of the instrument. The triple pedal and furniture stand options appeal to me also for playing at home. But if you really don't want them for $100 more you can get the PX5 synth engine.

I think you'll be glad you sold your QS8. It was a decent piano in its day, but that was nearly 20 years ago now. Treat yourself to a good modern piano and you'll not regret it.

The lowest cost solution is to find a used Casio CDP-100, which can be found for $250 if you watch Craigslist. Oddly, it's held that same price for nearly 10 years now, and for a good reason: a piano that's good enough to learn on or gig on is simply worth that much money. That's pretty much the oldest of the Privia line of pianos, and the newer ones are as good or better (though folks disagree about which are best.)

There's not much disagreement that the PX-5S is the best overall, since in addition to being a great piano, it's also a great controller, and has a remarkably versatile polysynth as well. Plus it has a keyboard surface material that is absolutely the best when playing in hot humid environments. Really.

There are a lot of great Yamaha digital pianos that double as stage pianos too, like P255 and P105 (as well as other models, many available used.)

I have a CP4 and I haven't played a digital piano I like better, but I haven't had a chance to try any Kawais. It's a great DP with excellent action, a really dynamic Rhodes (with lots of user choices and control), good Wurlie, and a handful of other actually useful bread&butter sounds. But it's not a versatile controller nor is it a highly programmable swiss-army knife like the PX-5S.

The organs in the VR09 are quite a bit better than PX-5S, but the PX-5S has a few quite good organs that are the kind I use most of the time (like the classic 88800000 blues/rock organ). It'd be good enough as a single keyboard for rehearsals or short gigs. (I currently use my Nord Electro 2 for that, though its piano sets my teeth on edge.)

Anyway, they definitely play well and record well, and are respectable keyboards even if they don't always get the respect they deserve. Yet. I almost got a PX5S rather than the CP4, and if I needed more versatility, I would have got that (or perhaps a Yamaha MOXF8).

• 2 weeks later...

I have been so busy at my new job with Dell that I still haven't bought a new keyboard - yet. With all this overtime I'm working I can buy lots of new gear though :)

I'm actually proud I was able to not buy on impulse - I can be a hasty little cuss at times :/ lol

I will wear the Casio badge proudly on stage. About 30 years ago I covered the Casionlogo with duct tape when I showed up and that's what the venue had for me instead of a B3. But that was back in the day of watches and home keyboards. I'm afraid I carried that misconception around for a few too many years.

I've been leaning towards the PX-5S for the last week. And I just paid off the credit card yesterday for the last piece of gear I bought - Arturia Keylab 61. So, it's time, and as Wilma and Betty would say - CHARGE it!!!

- Jim

The biggest thing with the PX-5S is you can't plug an expression pedal into it let alone multiples. Makes it a pretty weak controller. If that is not a problem then you are fine.

If you are only using it as a stage piano you are fine with not having an expression pedal IMO.

Also half damper.... I just got a new board and I am using a M-Audio SP-2 damper switch. I am finding I really do miss a half damper pedal a lot.

If you are thinking about using it as a controller and setting up performances using both internal and external synth engines I would think about the expression pedal situation.

Archived